Slow performance to https page for IE5.5 through proxy connections

Slow performance to https page for IE5.5 through proxy connections

Post by Jenn » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:56:25



I've got the following findings and response time after performing several
tests to a https site. I'm using MS Proxy 2.0 sp1.

1,     Using IE5.5 through proxy gives extremely slow performance ie 30sec.
2,     Using IE6 through proxy is very fast ie 17sec.
3,     Using IE5.5 and IE6 through direct connection show good performance
ie 15sec.
4,     No difference was found for case 1 to 3 to http sites.

Since I haven't found any articles related to this problem between https,
IE5.5 and Proxy, I would like to ask if anyone has experienced this before
and confirmed if upgrading IE5.5 can solve the problem.

Thanks!

 
 
 

Slow performance to https page for IE5.5 through proxy connections

Post by Phillip Windel » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:53:07


There are two causes that are solved one of these two ways:

1. Reapply SP1 for Proxy2
2. Leave all DNS settings in the clients blank.

If the problem persists, I have no idea....these are the only two situations
I know of other than this one last thing...:

Remove any "auto detect" settings in the your proxy settings in the browser.
Use *only* the proxy IP#, port#, and enable "Bypass proxy for local...."

--

Phillip Windell

WAND-TV (ABC Affiliate)
www.wandtv.com


Quote:> I've got the following findings and response time after performing several
> tests to a https site. I'm using MS Proxy 2.0 sp1.

> 1,     Using IE5.5 through proxy gives extremely slow performance ie
30sec.
> 2,     Using IE6 through proxy is very fast ie 17sec.
> 3,     Using IE5.5 and IE6 through direct connection show good performance
> ie 15sec.
> 4,     No difference was found for case 1 to 3 to http sites.

> Since I haven't found any articles related to this problem between https,
> IE5.5 and Proxy, I would like to ask if anyone has experienced this before
> and confirmed if upgrading IE5.5 can solve the problem.

> Thanks!


 
 
 

Slow performance to https page for IE5.5 through proxy connections

Post by Laura Metcal » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 02:36:31



> I've got the following findings and response time after performing several
> tests to a https site. I'm using MS Proxy 2.0 sp1.

> 1,     Using IE5.5 through proxy gives extremely slow performance ie 30sec.
> 2,     Using IE6 through proxy is very fast ie 17sec.
> 3,     Using IE5.5 and IE6 through direct connection show good performance
> ie 15sec.
> 4,     No difference was found for case 1 to 3 to http sites.

> Since I haven't found any articles related to this problem between https,
> IE5.5 and Proxy, I would like to ask if anyone has experienced this before
> and confirmed if upgrading IE5.5 can solve the problem.

> Thanks!

Hi, Jenny.  I'm somewhat new to client-side issues and am unsure that
our problems are related but... We are using IE 5.5 to allow our users
to access our newly developed web app.  All appears to be going well
for users inside our firewall but not for those connecting via VPN,
passing thru two firewalls (theirs and ours).

The problems that the VPN users are experiencing is that the script
and image files 1.) Appear to take too long to get to them 2.) Are
being seen by the browser as having changed EVERY time they are
requested, resulting in every .js and image file being downloaded all
over again every time they hit a page.  Once they set IE's 'Check for
newer versions of files' to 'Never', the problem of the scripts
not-functioning\not being present when the page loads goes away since
they are now just using what they have cached.

I was wondering if this is a bug with 5.5 that it doesn't seem to
recognize that the files have not changed or is the encryption somehow
making IE think the files are different every time?  Doesn't the
browser just compare the date on the file in it's cache with the date
that the web server tells the browser is on the file it possess or is
there something more to this?

Best of luck with your problem.   I apologize if this really should
have been in a separate thread.  I'm questioning whether or not your
varying response times have anything to do with 5.5 requesting all new
files every time vs 6.0 recognizing things as being the same and
therefore speeding up the transfer.

Regards,
Laura

 
 
 

Slow performance to https page for IE5.5 through proxy connections

Post by Jenn » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:22:59


Thanks Philip, it seems that the problems I have encountered are all related
to the DNS settings on my client PC but the worse is that I cannot remove
this setting. Anyway, I'm looking forward to see if ISA can improve my
problem.


> There are two causes that are solved one of these two ways:

> 1. Reapply SP1 for Proxy2
> 2. Leave all DNS settings in the clients blank.

> If the problem persists, I have no idea....these are the only two
situations
> I know of other than this one last thing...:

> Remove any "auto detect" settings in the your proxy settings in the
browser.
> Use *only* the proxy IP#, port#, and enable "Bypass proxy for local...."

> --

> Phillip Windell

> WAND-TV (ABC Affiliate)
> www.wandtv.com



> > I've got the following findings and response time after performing
several
> > tests to a https site. I'm using MS Proxy 2.0 sp1.

> > 1,     Using IE5.5 through proxy gives extremely slow performance ie
> 30sec.
> > 2,     Using IE6 through proxy is very fast ie 17sec.
> > 3,     Using IE5.5 and IE6 through direct connection show good
performance
> > ie 15sec.
> > 4,     No difference was found for case 1 to 3 to http sites.

> > Since I haven't found any articles related to this problem between
https,
> > IE5.5 and Proxy, I would like to ask if anyone has experienced this
before
> > and confirmed if upgrading IE5.5 can solve the problem.

> > Thanks!

 
 
 

Slow performance to https page for IE5.5 through proxy connections

Post by Jenn » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:52:00


Hi Laura,

Thank you for your detail comments. I'm not sure if our problems are related
or not. Have you try to capture your packets for examinations? Actually I
did it myself. I found that if I'm using IE5.5 with proxy settings on, the
number of ACK exchanged doubles the case using direct access. The problem
was not found with IE6.0. However, since the traffic is encrypted I couldn't
get exactly what the browser is retrieving, but only know that a lot of TCP
connection closing/opening is going on.

For your question regarding caching in IE, I believe only if the object
expiration date is set to be in the future, the browser will always make a
conditional GET to the server with its last modified date to see if the
cached object is valid. If the object was not changed on the server side, it
should send a 304 Not Modified reply and the browser shouldn't make a formal
GET request again. I've performed similar test on http traffic but cannot
found any abnormalty on this.

Regards,

Jenny



Quote:> > I've got the following findings and response time after performing
several
> > tests to a https site. I'm using MS Proxy 2.0 sp1.

> > 1,     Using IE5.5 through proxy gives extremely slow performance ie
30sec.
> > 2,     Using IE6 through proxy is very fast ie 17sec.
> > 3,     Using IE5.5 and IE6 through direct connection show good
performance
> > ie 15sec.
> > 4,     No difference was found for case 1 to 3 to http sites.

> > Since I haven't found any articles related to this problem between
https,
> > IE5.5 and Proxy, I would like to ask if anyone has experienced this
before
> > and confirmed if upgrading IE5.5 can solve the problem.

> > Thanks!

> Hi, Jenny.  I'm somewhat new to client-side issues and am unsure that
> our problems are related but... We are using IE 5.5 to allow our users
> to access our newly developed web app.  All appears to be going well
> for users inside our firewall but not for those connecting via VPN,
> passing thru two firewalls (theirs and ours).

> The problems that the VPN users are experiencing is that the script
> and image files 1.) Appear to take too long to get to them 2.) Are
> being seen by the browser as having changed EVERY time they are
> requested, resulting in every .js and image file being downloaded all
> over again every time they hit a page.  Once they set IE's 'Check for
> newer versions of files' to 'Never', the problem of the scripts
> not-functioning\not being present when the page loads goes away since
> they are now just using what they have cached.

> I was wondering if this is a bug with 5.5 that it doesn't seem to
> recognize that the files have not changed or is the encryption somehow
> making IE think the files are different every time?  Doesn't the
> browser just compare the date on the file in it's cache with the date
> that the web server tells the browser is on the file it possess or is
> there something more to this?

> Best of luck with your problem.   I apologize if this really should
> have been in a separate thread.  I'm questioning whether or not your
> varying response times have anything to do with 5.5 requesting all new
> files every time vs 6.0 recognizing things as being the same and
> therefore speeding up the transfer.

> Regards,
> Laura

 
 
 

Slow performance to https page for IE5.5 through proxy connections

Post by Phillip Windel » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 23:39:36


Proxy2 isn't compatible in an Activedirectory Environment where DNS Settings
on the client machines is required.  ISA is the intended replacement in this
situation.

--

Phillip Windell

WAND-TV (ABC Affiliate)
www.wandtv.com


Quote:> Thanks Philip, it seems that the problems I have encountered are all
related
> to the DNS settings on my client PC but the worse is that I cannot remove
> this setting. Anyway, I'm looking forward to see if ISA can improve my
> problem.

 
 
 

1. UDP/TCP thru HTTP proxy

Hi,
I'm behind a HTTP proxy at university and would like to use UDP/TCP
connections, e.g. for RealPlayer and maybe some online gaming. Is there any
chance to get a bidirectional connection via tunnelling? Is there any chance
to get RealPlayer to work behind that HTTP proxy? I tried several tunnelling
programs but they all won't work for me. Any ideas?

cheers,

--
Andreas

2. Secondary HD problem

3. IE5.5 caching "no-cache" files when HTTP/1.0 proxy is used

4. USB stick crashes everything it touches

5. First try thru proxy page cannot be displayed - IE6

6. How to change paper size:A4 as default in NTapplication?

7. IE6.0 displays https pages but not http pages

8. M/S Jet Database engine

9. I can display secure pages (HTTPS) but not HTTP pages

10. Proxy Authentication for Netscape thru MS Proxy Server

11. IE5 startup performance extremely slow with IEAK

12. slow performance with IE5.5

13. slow access to https via Proxy server