Help Me With "IE6 Cannot Be Repaired" Problem

Help Me With "IE6 Cannot Be Repaired" Problem

Post by Jim » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:32:28

Am running IE6 with Service Pack 1 plus cumulative updates on Win98SE
system that is also current according to the MS Windows Update
facility.

After problems with IE6 (freezing up), I have tried the IE Repair
Tool, which reports IE6 cannot be repaired because MSTIME.DLL is
missing or corrupt.  I followed instructions to re-run IE Setup,
selecting the complete re-install option.  After rebooting, Windows
reports that MSTIME.DLL causes an error and must be terminated.  I
manually installed MSTIME.DLL from the IE6 CAB files, then repeated
the whole process.  Same result.

I verified that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTIME.DLL exactly matches what is
in the IE6 CAB file and has the same properties as those published in
the MS Knowledge Base listings for IE6 CAB contents.

BTW, I did do the sequence of "Regsvr32" commands that has been
published many time in this newsgroup.  All the DLL's registered fine
except MSTIME and SHELL32.  Regsvr32 reported that MSTIME and SHELL32
were corrupt and did not register.

Here are my current file properties.
Mstime.DLL  6.00.2800.1106, 496,128 bytes, 8/29/2002
Shell32.DLL  4.72.3812.600,  1,388,816 bytes, 12/6/2001

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Jim

Help Me With "IE6 Cannot Be Repaired" Problem

Post by MichaelJenning » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 03:13:45

You may be able to do a maintenance rollback to IE whatever it
was before. Navigate to Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup
and click on Setup.exe. This will kick up the Internet Explorer
6 and Internet Tools maintenance program. Click OK to restore
the previous Internet Explorer and shared components.

It doesn't take much to corrupt a file. I tracked an
exasperating printer outputs garbage problem to a semi-colon
having been replaced by a carriage return in an .ini file a few
weeks ago.

Wipe the IE6 install directory and download it again if  the
rollback works and you want to return to IE6. It's probably
the Windows\Windows Update Setup Files folder with the
ie6setup.exe and This folder is safe to delete.txt files, as
you know, but others might not.

Quote:> Am running IE6 with Service Pack 1 plus cumulative updates on
> Win98SE system that is also current according to the MS
> Windows Update facility.

> After problems with IE6 (freezing up), I have tried the IE
> Repair Tool, which reports IE6 cannot be repaired because
> MSTIME.DLL is missing or corrupt. I followed instructions to
> re-run IE Setup, selecting the complete re-install option.
> After rebooting, Windows reports that MSTIME.DLL causes an
> error and must be terminated. I manually installed MSTIME.DLL
> from the IE6 CAB files, then repeated the whole process. Same
> result.

> I verified that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTIME.DLL exactly matches
> what is in the IE6 CAB file and has the same properties as
> those published in the MS Knowledge Base listings for IE6 CAB
> contents.

> BTW, I did do the sequence of "Regsvr32" commands that has
> been published many time in this newsgroup. All the DLL's
> registered fine except MSTIME and SHELL32. Regsvr32 reported
> that MSTIME and SHELL32 were corrupt and did not register.

> Here are my current file properties. Mstime.DLL
> 6.00.2800.1106, 496,128 bytes, 8/29/2002 Shell32.DLL
> 4.72.3812.600, 1,388,816 bytes, 12/6/2001

> Can anyone help me?

> Thanks, Jim

1. IE6 "Cannot find Server" or "Page cannot be displayed"

Since the beginning of the month of February, I have been
getting on a regular basis the two above errors.  I am
trying to visit various site that I usually do.  The way
I have been contourning this error, I sign out, then re-
sign in and then I could see the page I was looking for.

Does this happen to other user, does anyone have any idea
why this happen?

Thank you.

2. Memory leak in WMS Multicast stream creation? (nschmgr.ocx)

3. "New Message", "Send Page" & "Send a Link" from IE6

4. Stylus 3.0 ?ì? Windows 95

5. "The page cannot be displayed" "Cannot find server or DNS error"

6. taskbar icon for desktop

7. "Cannot find server" "The page cannot be displayed"

8. wia

9. "F1" and "Cannot Open Help File".....

10. I am missing an "Advanced Tab" in the "Internet Options"

11. IE6 DOM: "self" vs. "window" usage problem.

12. "sfc /scannow" -vs- "repair install"

13. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Support" on the Start Menu