? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by Alec S » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:00:02

    Hi,

    I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of the
time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my password
anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now and
then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not I get
asked.

    Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is there
time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick sometimes.
Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I know
that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the password
is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

    How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging me
permanently?

    Thanks.

--
Alec S.

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by PA Bea » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:27:02

Password for...?

Windows version?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?

WinXP SP2 Release Notes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835935

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

>    I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of the
> time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my password
> anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now and
> then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not I
> get
> asked.

>    Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is there
> time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
> automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick
> sometimes.
> Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I know
> that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the password
> is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

>    How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging me
> permanently?

>    Thanks.

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/O » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:03:58

Outlook Express Does Not Save the Mail Server Logon Password (Win98, NT,
2000) (OE 4-5.5)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216382
Cannot Save E-Mail Account Password in Outlook Express 5.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228713
OL2000: (IMO) Save Password Setting Not Saved
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235864
OL2000: (IMO) Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=259416
OL2002: The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a POP3
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290684
Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=264672
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm
When using sysprep.exe, passwords cannot be saved
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815229

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email

>    Hi,

>    I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of the
> time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my password
> anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now and
> then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not I
> get
> asked.

>    Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is there
> time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
> automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick
> sometimes.
> Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I know
> that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the password
> is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

>    How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging me
> permanently?

>    Thanks.

> --
> Alec S.

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/O » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:37:05

Also,

Damaged Password List File Does Not Save Passwords
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=135197

Dial-Up Networking Password Is Not Saved
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=148925

DIAL UP NETWORKING (DUN) PASSWORD PROBLEMS
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/dun.html

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC

>    Hi,

>    I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of the
> time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my password
> anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now and
> then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not I
> get
> asked.

>    Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is there
> time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
> automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick
> sometimes.
> Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I know
> that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the password
> is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

>    How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging me
> permanently?

>    Thanks.

> --
> Alec S.

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by Alec S » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 06:46:37

    There seems to be some confusion.  I just assumed that since I am
posting in this forum (ie6_outlookexpress) that people would understand that
I am talking about the mail server password but some people seem to have not
understood that.

    I'm going to try the solution in one of Frank's links (the Protected
Storage System Provider one) since it seems apt.

--
Alec S.

>     Hi,

>     I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of the
> time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my password
> anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now and
> then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not I
get
> asked.

>     Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is there
> time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
> automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick
sometimes.
> Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I know
> that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the password
> is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

>     How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging me
> permanently?

>     Thanks.

> --
> Alec S.

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by PA Bea » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:11:38

My CrystalBall? knows that OE may have several passwords: A mail account
password as well as a password to open your identity, if so enabled.

Knowing your Windows version, as well as what password you're referring to,
is an important item you continue to omit.
--
~PA Bear

>    There seems to be some confusion.  I just assumed that since I am
> posting in this forum (ie6_outlookexpress) that people would understand
> that
> I am talking about the mail server password but some people seem to have
> not
> understood that.

>    I'm going to try the solution in one of Frank's links (the Protected
> Storage System Provider one) since it seems apt.

>>     Hi,

>>     I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of
>> the
>> time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my password
>> anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now and
>> then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not I
>> get
>> asked.

>>     Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is there
>> time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
>> automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick
>> sometimes.
>> Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I
>> know
>> that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the
>> password
>> is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

>>     How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging me
>> permanently?

>>     Thanks.

>> --
>> Alec S.

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by Steve Cochra » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:42:01

You only have one?

> My CrystalBall? knows that OE may have several passwords: A mail account
> password as well as a password to open your identity, if so enabled.

> Knowing your Windows version, as well as what password you're referring
to,
> is an important item you continue to omit.
> --
> ~PA Bear

> >    There seems to be some confusion.  I just assumed that since I am
> > posting in this forum (ie6_outlookexpress) that people would understand
> > that
> > I am talking about the mail server password but some people seem to have
> > not
> > understood that.

> >    I'm going to try the solution in one of Frank's links (the Protected
> > Storage System Provider one) since it seems apt.

> >>     Hi,

> >>     I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of
> >> the
> >> time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my
password
> >> anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now
and
> >> then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not
> >> get
> >> asked.

> >>     Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is
there
> >> time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
> >> automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick
> >> sometimes.
> >> Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I
> >> know
> >> that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the
> >> password
> >> is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

> >>     How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging
me
> >> permanently?

> >>     Thanks.

> >> --
> >> Alec S.

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by Alec S » Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:18:12

    Well I'm fairly sure that an identity password is disabled by default so
it's a good bet that if someone asks about a mail password it's most likely
their POP3 password.

    Where can I get a CrystalBall?  :)

    I'm using XP although that really shouldn't have much effect on OE since
you can install OE on [any] flavor of Windows.

    I tried the Protected Storage System Provider thing and it didn't work.
I still get asked for my password sometimes.  It's completely random though.
I've got about 8 email accounts in OE and some of them never ask me for the
password, some of them always ask, and some of them ask once in a while.
Like I said before there is NO pattern to it.  It's very confusing.  (Oh and
for the record, all 8 accounts are with the same provider).  I still think
it's something on the ISP's end since this started when my ISP started
making changes.

--
Alec S.

Quote:> My CrystalBall? knows that OE may have several passwords: A mail account
> password as well as a password to open your identity, if so enabled.

> Knowing your Windows version, as well as what password you're referring
to,
> is an important item you continue to omit.
> --
> ~PA Bear

? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

Post by PA Bea » Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:31:51

Yeah, well I've lost a lotta "good bets" here so I was just hedging mine
this time.  <w>

Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672

When using sysprep.exe, passwords cannot be saved
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815229
--
~PA Bear

>    Well I'm fairly sure that an identity password is disabled by default
> so it's a good bet that if someone asks about a mail password it's most
> likely their POP3 password.

>    Where can I get a CrystalBall?  :)

>    I'm using XP although that really shouldn't have much effect on OE
> since you can install OE on [any] flavor of Windows.

>    I tried the Protected Storage System Provider thing and it didn't work.
> I still get asked for my password sometimes.  It's completely random
> though. I've got about 8 email accounts in OE and some of them never ask
> me for the password, some of them always ask, and some of them ask once
> in a while. Like I said before there is NO pattern to it.  It's very
> confusing.  (Oh and for the record, all 8 accounts are with the same
> provider).  I still think it's something on the ISP's end since this
> started when my ISP started making changes.

> > My CrystalBall? knows that OE may have several passwords: A mail account
> > password as well as a password to open your identity, if so enabled.

> > Knowing your Windows version, as well as what password you're referring
> > to, is an important item you continue to omit.
> > --
> > ~PA Bear

1. "Remember my password" doesn't work!!!

Here is what I did (in exact order):
- Installed Windows XP Professional on a newly formatted drive (NTFS).
- Nothing else is installed!!! (only Windows XP)
- Created a limited user account
  (in addition to the account used to install the system).
- Logged on using the limited user account.
- Accessed a shared volume (Samba on a Linux, requires
  both userid and password, plain text password is enabled).
- While supplying the password, checked the "remember my password"
box.
- Gained access to the shared volume - works perfectly.
- Logged off.
- Logged on again, using the limited user account.
- Tried to access the same shared volume mentioned above.
- SURPRISINGLY, received the same prompt for userid and password
  AS IF I HAVE NEVER CHECKED the "remember my password" checkbox.
- If I type again the userid and password I gain the same perfect
access.

HOWEVER, Windows XP NEVER REMEMBERS my password. WHY???
I had not invoked Outlook Express or Internet Explorer even once!!!
No other application is installed on the system!!!

What can I do to make Windows XP (Professional) remember my password?
It is very annoying to have re-enter the shared volume password again
and again after log on.

Please Help!!!

Thank you so much in advance,
Swengtoo

2. Excel / Word Files Won't ?Half Screen?

3. "Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

4. Thanks Zach

5. WMEncoder 9 "Beta" worked, "Release Candidate" doesn't

6. trouble with e-mail

7. WMEncoder 9 "Beta" Works, But "Release Candidate" Doesn't

8. Windows Help and Support Problem

9. document.open("text/html", "replace") doesn't work for frames !

10. "remember my password" option does not work

11. "Remember my password" option does not work...

12. "autocomplete" and "remember password"

13. "Don't Prompt to use DUN" Doesn't work !