retrieving backup oe saved emails and ie favorites after reformatting

retrieving backup oe saved emails and ie favorites after reformatting

Post by je » Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:55:34

I just had my computer/WindowsME reformatted due to
freezing up by a computer shop. They backed up all my old
files and I have found the files that says old hard drive
info. But have not had any luck finding my saved emails or
favorites folders from my previous IE/OE. They did update
me to IE6 on reinstall. I did a search with some of the
names that I know were on the saved emails(family tree
info) and they show up but am unable to open them. It asks
which program do I want to open it with. I don't know! I
called the computer shop and they said that when they were
doing the backup that it did not make an extra copy on
their machine as it had an error on some of the filesand
something about a windows file that was corrupt that
caused the problem. Basically that they were lost.
But after reading some of the other messages here and
being able to find some of the names that were in the old
stored emails, it sounds like they might be hidden and
maybe this dbxtract would work? Can someone please advise
a rather stupid computer user in simple language? Would
this be an option or are they completely gone?
Thanks

Post by Kath Adam » Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:00:44

> I just had my computer/WindowsME reformatted due to
> freezing up by a computer shop. They backed up all my old
> files and I have found the files that says old hard drive
> info. But have not had any luck finding my saved emails or
> favorites folders from my previous IE/OE. They did update
> me to IE6 on reinstall. I did a search with some of the
> names that I know were on the saved emails(family tree
> info) and they show up but am unable to open them. It asks
> which program do I want to open it with. I don't know! I
> called the computer shop and they said that when they were
> doing the backup that it did not make an extra copy on
> their machine as it had an error on some of the filesand
> something about a windows file that was corrupt that
> caused the problem. Basically that they were lost.
> But after reading some of the other messages here and
> being able to find some of the names that were in the old
> stored emails, it sounds like they might be hidden and
> maybe this dbxtract would work? Can someone please advise
> a rather stupid computer user in simple language? Would
> this be an option or are they completely gone?
> Thanks

First of all, so that all files are shown, control panel>folder
options>view and put a check in "show hidden files and folders".
Then search for *.dbx
You might then recognise your missing folders amongst those listed. I
suggest you copy them to another folder (created for this purpose) on
your desktop from where you can then try importing them via OE. (Make
sure they are not marked as "read only".)
Use the following link to import one folder at a time.

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx

If the import will not work, but the folders are present, use the
following link to extract what messages you can from the old folders.
They can be dragged back into any folder of OE.
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

1. Retrieving IE favorites in order from Favorites folder

Hi,

I have this problem. When I look in IE at favorites they
are not in alphabethical order, but when I look in the
Favorites folder on my hard drive I see all the folders
first and then the links. How can I know the order of the
favorites??? I mean if I want to retrieve them exactly
like they show up in the menu in IE - what should I do?

Thanks for your help,

AJ

2. Jagged Icons

3. How to save/retrieve filters in OE 5.5?

4. Java

5. saving OE messages before reformat

6. best "AA" battery for PDA?

7. Accessing OE 4 saved e-mail from OE 6

8. IDE DVD-Rom 16x Problems.... please help!!!

9. saved emails--now how to retrieve?

10. Problem with OE and retrieving POP3 Email

11. OE fails to retrieve new email from Gmail server

12. Cannot retrieve e-mail from OE Express 6

13. How to prevent an automatic email deletion at ISP level when mail retrieved via OE??