Bad website or bad browser?

Post by George Heste » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:12:37

http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category3516/index....

A runtime error has ocurred.
Do you wish to debug?

Line: 8
Error: Object Expected

Internet Explorer 6 SP1

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
function showUACAd(magicNo,width,height,searchkw)
{
 if(searchkw != "")
   adSetSearch(searchkw);
 adSetType('J');   //Line 8
 htmlAdWH(magicNo,width,height);
 adSetType('');        //Reset to the default IframeJavascript}

Quote:}

//-->
</SCRIPT>

--
George Hester
__________________________________

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by Mike Burges » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:49:18

George,
Must be the site, I get an error there too ........
Internet Options | Advanced
Select: "Disable script debugging"
Uncheck: "Display a notification about every script error"
Click Apply\Ok
_______________________________________
Mike Burgess   http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 3-16-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category3516/index....
om=R4

A runtime error has ocurred.
Do you wish to debug?

Line: 8
Error: Object Expected

Internet Explorer 6 SP1

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
function showUACAd(magicNo,width,height,searchkw)
{
 if(searchkw != "")
   adSetSearch(searchkw);
 adSetType('J');   //Line 8
 htmlAdWH(magicNo,width,height);
 adSetType('');        //Reset to the default IframeJavascript}

Quote:}

//-->
</SCRIPT>

--
George Hester
__________________________________

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by George Heste » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:21:36

Yes I know but you see the error icon lower left in Internet Explorer right?  I find it amazing ebay would continue like this.  From what I understand this results because IE does not understand the JavaScript code.  You know I need that allow debugging script and with things like this it is sort of useless.  No wonder every install of Internet Explorer disables that functionality.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> George,
> Must be the site, I get an error there too ........
> Internet Options | Advanced
> Select: "Disable script debugging"
> Uncheck: "Display a notification about every script error"
> Click Apply\Ok
> _______________________________________
> Mike Burgess   http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
> Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 3-16-03]
> Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
> --

> http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category3516/index....
> om=R4

> A runtime error has ocurred.
> Do you wish to debug?

> Line: 8
> Error: Object Expected

> Internet Explorer 6 SP1

> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
> <!--
> function showUACAd(magicNo,width,height,searchkw)
> {
>  if(searchkw != "")
>    adSetSearch(searchkw);
>  adSetType('J');   //Line 8
>  htmlAdWH(magicNo,width,height);
>  adSetType('');        //Reset to the default IframeJavascript}
> }
> //-->
> </SCRIPT>

> --
> George Hester
> __________________________________

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by Mike Burges » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:27:38

George,
I get those small errors for several reasons .......
-The Hosts file blocking some expecting function (background pop-ups)
-AdShield blocking pop-unders, and expected functions via "block list".
-And last but not least ..... just poorly written code  <g>
_______________________________________
Mike Burgess   http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 3-16-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

Yes I know but you see the error icon lower left in Internet Explorer right?
I find it amazing ebay would continue like this.  From what I understand
this results because IE does not understand the JavaScript code.  You know I
need that allow debugging script and with things like this it is sort of
useless.  No wonder every install of Internet Explorer disables that
functionality.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> George,
> Must be the site, I get an error there too ........
> Internet Options | Advanced
> Select: "Disable script debugging"
> Uncheck: "Display a notification about every script error"
> Click Apply\Ok
> _______________________________________
> Mike Burgess   http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
> Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 3-16-03]
> Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
> --

http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category3516/index....

Quote:> om=R4

> A runtime error has ocurred.
> Do you wish to debug?

> Line: 8
> Error: Object Expected

> Internet Explorer 6 SP1

> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
> <!--
> function showUACAd(magicNo,width,height,searchkw)
> {
>  if(searchkw != "")
>    adSetSearch(searchkw);
>  adSetType('J');   //Line 8
>  htmlAdWH(magicNo,width,height);
>  adSetType('');        //Reset to the default IframeJavascript}
> }
> //-->
> </SCRIPT>

> --
> George Hester
> __________________________________

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by Joe Fawcet » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:54:55

Yes I know but you see the error icon lower left in Internet Explorer right?
I find it amazing ebay would continue like this.  From what I understand
this results because IE does not understand the JavaScript code.  You know I
need that allow debugging script and with things like this it is sort of
useless.  No wonder every install of Internet Explorer disables that
functionality.

--
George Hester

It's not because it doesn't understand the code, it's because an include
file or the like has not loaded when a function is called. This is the
programmer's fault. They test their page and because they have a good
connection all is well, then when you are using it normal latency effects
produce this error.

Joe

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by Chris Force [MSFT » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:45:23

If the browser can't find the code for adSetType, you would get the Object
Expected error. It's possible the code was written badly, that part of the
page didn't download, or that some necessary code in another file didn't
make it to your machine.

When I go to the same URL, I do not get the same error, so I suspect it has
something to do with a transmission problem. If that's the case, the bad
page might be in your cache and you might continue to see the cached version
until either a) it expires or b) you force a new download (by clearing your
cache or with ctrl-F5).

[...]

Post by George Heste » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:18:39

Interesting.  You do not get the error icon in lower left of status bar at all?  Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Windows 2000.  I get the debug error because I have set IE properties to enable script debugging.  Without that I just get the error icon lower left.  Thanks though I will try it in Windows ME with the same IE version and that machine has never visited ebay.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> If the browser can't find the code for adSetType, you would get the Object
> Expected error. It's possible the code was written badly, that part of the
> page didn't download, or that some necessary code in another file didn't
> make it to your machine.

> When I go to the same URL, I do not get the same error, so I suspect it has
> something to do with a transmission problem. If that's the case, the bad
> page might be in your cache and you might continue to see the cached version
> until either a) it expires or b) you force a new download (by clearing your
> cache or with ctrl-F5).

> http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category3516/index....

> A runtime error has ocurred.
> Do you wish to debug?

> Line: 8
> Error: Object Expected

> Internet Explorer 6 SP1

> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
> <!--
> function showUACAd(magicNo,width,height,searchkw)
> {
>  if(searchkw != "")
>    adSetSearch(searchkw);
>  adSetType('J');   //Line 8
>  htmlAdWH(magicNo,width,height);
>  adSetType('');        //Reset to the default IframeJavascript}
> }
> //-->
> </SCRIPT>

> --
> George Hester
> __________________________________

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by MVP » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:35:33

> Interesting.  You do not get the error icon in lower left of status
> bar at all?  Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Windows 2000. ...

That page loads for me, error free...

IE6 sp1 on W2K Pro sp2 over broadband (cable) connection.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Technet Script Center
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by George Heste » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:43:43

Well not here and I did ctrl-F5.  Nope the error the same as before is still there.  ISP is broadband Cable connection East Coast USA.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> > Interesting.  You do not get the error icon in lower left of status
> > bar at all?  Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Windows 2000. ...

> That page loads for me, error free...

> IE6 sp1 on W2K Pro sp2 over broadband (cable) connection.

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> Seattle WA US

> Technet Script Center
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by George Heste » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:47:17

Well I just tried it in Windows ME.  No error.  Since I am not the only one that had this trouble we should determine if those that have the error are using Windows 2000 SP3 with Internet Explorer 6 SP1.  I bet that is the start of the trouble.  Mike Windows 2000 SP3?

--
George Hester
__________________________________

Post by MV » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:36:09

> Well I just tried it in Windows ME.  No error.  Since I am not the only one that had this trouble we should determine if those that have the error are using Windows 2000 SP3 with Internet Explorer 6 SP1.  I bet that is the start of the trouble.  Mike Windows 2000 SP3?

Hi

Win2k SP3 with IE 6 SP1, no errors for URL http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category3516/index....

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by George Heste » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:53:23

Well I cleared out the cache manually and I still have the error.  That means Mike and I and whoever else has this issue must have something wrong with our browsers.  But what it is has me dumbfounded.  For the Windows ME I tried it on without the error is the same exact connection I am using from Windows 2000 SP3.  It has to be a hotfix we share something like that.  Thanks Torgeir.  I can try it in another op sys I have on this system and that one is an unblemished Windows 2000 SP1 no hotfixes no patches no nothing.  Will try see ya...

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> > Well I just tried it in Windows ME.  No error.  Since I am not the only one that had this trouble we should determine if those that have the error are using Windows 2000 SP3 with Internet Explorer 6 SP1.  I bet that is the start of the trouble.  Mike Windows 2000 SP3?

> Hi

> Win2k SP3 with IE 6 SP1, no errors for URL http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category3516/index....

> --
> torgeir
> Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by George Heste » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:17:10

Are there dlls or ocx that maybe I can regsvr32 them to see if that is the problem.  Scripting problems?  It turns out there must be something else going on.  Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314209

Here you will find a way to show a bug in Internet Explorer 6 in Windows 2000 if it has not a specific patch.  I have that patch.  But when I do what the article suggests, "Get all the location methods from parent in the child.htm page" I get absolutely nothing.  No error no nothing.  Anyone else get this?

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> > Well I just tried it in Windows ME.  No error.  Since I am not the only one that had this trouble we should determine if those that have the error are using Windows 2000 SP3 with Internet Explorer 6 SP1.  I bet that is the start of the trouble.  Mike Windows 2000 SP3?

> Hi

> Win2k SP3 with IE 6 SP1, no errors for URL http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category3516/index....

> --
> torgeir
> Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by Robert Aldwinckl » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 02:06:03

Quote:> Are there dlls or ocx that maybe I can regsvr32 them to see
> if that is the problem.  Scripting problems?

Try a Repair?   E.g.  Run...  (press Win-R and enter:)

    rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

Note:  successful completion of the procedure will result
in a reboot so you might as well shut down everything else
first.   Temporarily disable your virus scanner too in case it
interferes with the re-registrations which are done during
the boot.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Bad website or bad browser?

Post by George Heste » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 09:11:32

Thanks been there done that.  This does not regsvr32 wshom.ocx by the way.  I know it should but it don't.  I'll give it a shot again pass 4,337,442 coming up...

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> > Are there dlls or ocx that maybe I can regsvr32 them to see
> > if that is the problem.  Scripting problems?

> Try a Repair?   E.g.  Run...  (press Win-R and enter:)

>     rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

> Note:  successful completion of the procedure will result
> in a reboot so you might as well shut down everything else
> first.   Temporarily disable your virus scanner too in case it
> interferes with the re-registrations which are done during
> the boot.

> Good luck

> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

1. Please help: Upgrade to XP pro (from home) gone bad, bad bad

I was upgrading from xp home to xp professional, and I
have no clue on what the heck happened.

Problems:
1. Rather than an upgrade, i have dual boot options (xp
pro and xp home)
2. when i go to xp pro, it goes to a blue screen and
shuts down. i attempt to re-upgrade, but it always shuts
down.  i don't get an error message or funky error
numbers.

when i go to xp home, things are screwed up.  i can't fix
my screen resolution to 1024 x (whatever).  its stuck on
800X600 and i can't barely see a thing.

i actually created a restore point prior to upgrading it,
and when i went to restore to that point, it was not
there.

i called microsoft support and they are conveniently not
there on a friday night...but i conveniently spend
hundreds of dollars on this upgrade that is an upgrade
from hell.

please...i need help :)
thanks
nadia

2. Need very simple Word processing program

3. 811493 BAD BAD BAD

4. 56k Diamond Supra not recognised?

5. Bad, Bad, Bad

6. Where pmail.exe put its data to ?

7. Bad bad codecs

8. Large Icons/Icons Disappearing

9. bad, bad graphics

10. Bad Site Appears when entering bad URL

11. Sound/Video/Nic - SAME IRQ!!!!! BAD BAD HELP!

12. bad files bad service

13. bad System Restore, bad