Posts

Posts

Post by Ike Fonteno » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 04:13:14



I haven' received posts in this newsgroup since Friday 14 Jun 02. The same
for Windows Me newsgroup.
I do get news from inentexplorer IE6. browser. Is this a MS server problem?
 
 
 

Posts

Post by Tom » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 04:20:33


Hi,

The MVPs, as I have been told, were alerted to this as MS was updating the
servers, though I never saw one mention this until last night. Anyway if
you're using Outlook Express, right click on the news group in question in
folders column under "msnews.Microsoft.com". then choose properties, click
on the "Local File" tab at the top, then click on the "reset" button, this
will let it all upload again. Just click on another newsgroup, then back to
the one you had known not to work recently, and all should be well.

Tom


Quote:> I haven' received posts in this newsgroup since Friday 14 Jun 02. The same
> for Windows Me newsgroup.
> I do get news from inentexplorer IE6. browser. Is this a MS server
problem?


 
 
 

Posts

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 05:48:57


I reset all the microsoft.public. newsgroups I subscribe to this morning
and redownloaded them into OE6.1. Some of them seem to be working but
others rapidly devolved to their corrupted state. I've sent a detailed
trouble report to the person who is in charge of the servers and he is
working on it.

I would advise you to try to clear the groups and start again, but at
this point I don't think that would work. I think the servers have some
more work to be done before they are stable enough, but it is certainly
the case that you will have to reset them at some point and redownload
headers before you can see the new messages.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)


> Hi,

> The MVPs, as I have been told, were alerted to this as MS was
> updating the servers, though I never saw one mention this until last
> night. Anyway if you're using Outlook Express, right click on the
> news group in question in folders column under
> "msnews.Microsoft.com". then choose properties, click on the "Local
> File" tab at the top, then click on the "reset" button, this will let
> it all upload again. Just click on another newsgroup, then back to
> the one you had known not to work recently, and all should be well.

> Tom



>> I haven' received posts in this newsgroup since Friday 14 Jun 02.
>> The same for Windows Me newsgroup.
>> I do get news from inentexplorer IE6. browser. Is this a MS server
> problem?

 
 
 

Posts

Post by Tom » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:22:45


Hi Kent,

By no means did I want to imply anything uninformative on the part of the
MVPs, and if that was what I conveyed, then I apologize. I only meant that
as long as I have noticed this, I haven't seen anything on it until another
posted back to me, to which I posted why something wasn't mentioned.
Another MVP stated that they had been, just that I didn't notice it.

Anyway, since I have done the "reset" thing, all is well with all the NGs I
have in my OE, no probs, but if that changes, I will let everyone know.

Tom



> I reset all the microsoft.public. newsgroups I subscribe to this morning
> and redownloaded them into OE6.1. Some of them seem to be working but
> others rapidly devolved to their corrupted state. I've sent a detailed
> trouble report to the person who is in charge of the servers and he is
> working on it.

> I would advise you to try to clear the groups and start again, but at
> this point I don't think that would work. I think the servers have some
> more work to be done before they are stable enough, but it is certainly
> the case that you will have to reset them at some point and redownload
> headers before you can see the new messages.

> --
> Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
> (Please respond only in the newsgroup)


> > Hi,

> > The MVPs, as I have been told, were alerted to this as MS was
> > updating the servers, though I never saw one mention this until last
> > night. Anyway if you're using Outlook Express, right click on the
> > news group in question in folders column under
> > "msnews.Microsoft.com". then choose properties, click on the "Local
> > File" tab at the top, then click on the "reset" button, this will let
> > it all upload again. Just click on another newsgroup, then back to
> > the one you had known not to work recently, and all should be well.

> > Tom



> >> I haven' received posts in this newsgroup since Friday 14 Jun 02.
> >> The same for Windows Me newsgroup.
> >> I do get news from inentexplorer IE6. browser. Is this a MS server
> > problem?

 
 
 

Posts

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:01:44


No I didn't take any offense from your circumspect report. I simply
wanted to give an update on my experience and advise folks that, as far
as I can tell, the problem continues without a clear idea of when we can
expect full recovery. I'm glad your groups are back -- it may be that
the groups are being put right in some sequence that hasn't reached my
windowsxp groups yet.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)


> Hi Kent,

> By no means did I want to imply anything uninformative on the part of
> the MVPs, and if that was what I conveyed, then I apologize. I only
> meant that as long as I have noticed this, I haven't seen anything on
> it until another posted back to me, to which I posted why something
> wasn't mentioned. Another MVP stated that they had been, just that I
> didn't notice it.

> Anyway, since I have done the "reset" thing, all is well with all the
> NGs I have in my OE, no probs, but if that changes, I will let
> everyone know.

> Tom



>> I reset all the microsoft.public. newsgroups I subscribe to this
>> morning and redownloaded them into OE6.1. Some of them seem to be
>> working but others rapidly devolved to their corrupted state. I've
>> sent a detailed trouble report to the person who is in charge of the
>> servers and he is working on it.

>> I would advise you to try to clear the groups and start again, but at
>> this point I don't think that would work. I think the servers have
>> some more work to be done before they are stable enough, but it is
>> certainly the case that you will have to reset them at some point
>> and redownload headers before you can see the new messages.

>> --
>> Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
>> (Please respond only in the newsgroup)


>>> Hi,

>>> The MVPs, as I have been told, were alerted to this as MS was
>>> updating the servers, though I never saw one mention this until last
>>> night. Anyway if you're using Outlook Express, right click on the
>>> news group in question in folders column under
>>> "msnews.Microsoft.com". then choose properties, click on the "Local
>>> File" tab at the top, then click on the "reset" button, this will
>>> let it all upload again. Just click on another newsgroup, then back
>>> to the one you had known not to work recently, and all should be
>>> well.

>>> Tom



>>>> I haven' received posts in this newsgroup since Friday 14 Jun 02.
>>>> The same for Windows Me newsgroup.
>>>> I do get news from inentexplorer IE6. browser. Is this a MS server
>>> problem?

 
 
 

Posts

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:12:16


I reset all my problematic groups on msnews just now and I think all of
the groups are back.

If you want to fix a newsgroup that isn't getting any posts, select it
in your newsgroup pane, right-click and select properties. "Reset" the
group and then compact it. Make sure you have a limit set on the number
of headers that will download in your Tools Options menu. You can set
that between 50 and 1000 headers. Then select the newsgroup and allow it
to pull down headers. Check the last message and verify that it is from
today.

If you like to Sync All and download all messages when syncing, then
catch up the newsgroup before you do your next sync all.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)


Quote:> I reset all the microsoft.public. newsgroups I subscribe to this
> morning and redownloaded them into OE6.1. Some of them seem to be
> working but others rapidly devolved to their corrupted state. I've
> sent a detailed trouble report to the person who is in charge of the
> servers and he is working on it.

> I would advise you to try to clear the groups and start again, but at
> this point I don't think that would work. ...

 
 
 

Posts

Post by Debra Earl » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:48:15



Quote:

> I reset all my problematic groups on msnews just now and I think all of
> the groups are back.

Still having problems with XP security_admin

-- DE
   C_Tech
   http://www.intranet-works.com [Law Office/Small Bus. Consulting]
   ?? Please reply to newsgroup for the benefit of all ??

 
 
 

Posts

Post by Mark Holme » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:02:15


Also still having problems with newusers even after a reset.

Mark



> > I reset all my problematic groups on msnews just now and I think all of
> > the groups are back.

> Still having problems with XP security_admin

> -- DE
>    C_Tech
>    http://www.intranet-works.com [Law Office/Small Bus. Consulting]
>    ?? Please reply to newsgroup for the benefit of all ??

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.371 / Virus Database: 206 - Release Date: 06/14/2002
 
 
 

Posts

Post by Lannie Schafrot » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:23:12


I did the reset and it downloads all 20,000+ headers no matter what setting
I limit it to. I deselected it and redid it. Downloads ALL headers each
time!



> I reset all my problematic groups on msnews just now and I think all of
> the groups are back.

> If you want to fix a newsgroup that isn't getting any posts, select it
> in your newsgroup pane, right-click and select properties. "Reset" the
> group and then compact it. Make sure you have a limit set on the number
> of headers that will download in your Tools Options menu. You can set
> that between 50 and 1000 headers. Then select the newsgroup and allow it
> to pull down headers. Check the last message and verify that it is from
> today.

> If you like to Sync All and download all messages when syncing, then
> catch up the newsgroup before you do your next sync all.

> --
> Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
> (Please respond only in the newsgroup)


> > I reset all the microsoft.public. newsgroups I subscribe to this
> > morning and redownloaded them into OE6.1. Some of them seem to be
> > working but others rapidly devolved to their corrupted state. I've
> > sent a detailed trouble report to the person who is in charge of the
> > servers and he is working on it.

> > I would advise you to try to clear the groups and start again, but at
> > this point I don't think that would work. ...

 
 
 

Posts

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:10:22


All I can say is "try again". I have those groups working. There was
another blip sometime yesterday that knocked out a lot of folks, so
perhaps it hit you.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)


> Also still having problems with newusers even after a reset.

> Mark




>>> I reset all my problematic groups on msnews just now and I think
>>> all of the groups are back.

>> Still having problems with XP security_admin

 
 
 

Posts

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:12:30


If you limit headers in Tools Options, go online, and select the
newsgroup, it should download a limited number of headers. Only if you
"synchronize" and your setting is "all messages" will OE download all
headers. You can stop downloading all messages by "catching up" the
group before you sync.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)


> I did the reset and it downloads all 20,000+ headers no matter what
> setting I limit it to. I deselected it and redid it. Downloads ALL
> headers each time!

 
 
 

Posts

Post by Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/O » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:28:42


emailed and posted

Yes, there have been server problems.  It seems to be better now.  Try doing
a Reset on the problem newsgroups.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/OE
Please Reply in Newsgroup.  I don't answer email.
http://www.fjsmjs.com


Quote:> I haven' received posts in this newsgroup since Friday 14 Jun 02. The
> same for Windows Me newsgroup.
> I do get news from inentexplorer IE6. browser. Is this a MS server
> problem?