IE Repair Tool??

Post by James Dea » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 23:57:04

Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

IE Repair Tool??

Post by James Dea » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:01:31

ignore me, i saw some replied lower, sorry..

Quote:> Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

IE Repair Tool??

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MV » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:04:35

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Microsoft Internet Explorer |
Add/Remove

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/OE
Please Reply in Newsgroup.  I don't answer email.

Quote:> Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

IE Repair Tool??

Post by James Dea » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 01:01:38

how do i do this from XP though?

> Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Microsoft Internet Explorer |
> Add/Remove

> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/OE
> Please Reply in Newsgroup.  I don't answer email.
> http://www.fjsmjs.com

> > Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

IE Repair Tool??

Post by Kent W. Englan » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 01:35:43

Add/remove windows components. I myself have not uninstalled the Internet Explorer component so I can't tell you what awful things will happen to XP if you do this. I suggest you use the windows system file protection and run "sfc /scannow" to repair system files.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows Networking

> how do i do this from XP though?

> > Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Microsoft Internet Explorer |
> > Add/Remove

IE Repair Tool??

Post by Anthony Giorgiann » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 01:55:35

Also, in Win98 at least:

System Tools/System Information/Tools/Internet Explorer Repair Tool. It
knows to repair IE 6 if that's what you have installed.

Regards,
Tony Giorgianni

> how do i do this from XP though?

> > Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Microsoft Internet Explorer |
> > Add/Remove

> > --
> > Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/OE
> > Please Reply in Newsgroup.  I don't answer email.
> > http://www.fjsmjs.com

> > > Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

IE Repair Tool??

Post by Michael Jenning » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 17:00:58

copy the following command:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt")

join it into one line in notepad, copy the single line, open Run,
use Control-V to paste the single line into Run, click OK
Select "Repair Internet Explorer" in the dialog box, click OK.
When it asks you if you want to reboot click OK.

> how do i do this from XP though?

> > Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Microsoft Internet Explorer |
> > Add/Remove

> > --
> > Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/OE
> > Please Reply in Newsgroup.  I don't answer email.
> > http://www.fjsmjs.com

> > > Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

IE Repair Tool??

Post by Michael Jenning » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 17:12:24

If you can't find it anywhere, the attached bat file runs it.

Quote:> Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

begin 666 tuneupIE.bat

`
end

IE Repair Tool??

Post by James Dea » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 22:20:27

all that uninstalling form wiondows components does is removes shrtcuts on
desktop quick launch and start menu..

Add/remove windows components. I myself have not uninstalled the Internet
Explorer component so I can't tell you what awful things will happen to XP
if you do this. I suggest you use the windows system file protection and run
"sfc /scannow" to repair system files.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows Networking

> how do i do this from XP though?

> > Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Microsoft Internet Explorer |
> > Add/Remove

IE Repair Tool??

Post by James Dea » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 22:20:03

thank you..

> If you can't find it anywhere, the attached bat file runs it.

> > Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

IE Repair Tool??

Post by James Dea » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 22:20:41

:o(.. not available in XP

> Also, in Win98 at least:

> System Tools/System Information/Tools/Internet Explorer Repair Tool. It
> knows to repair IE 6 if that's what you have installed.

> Regards,
> Tony Giorgianni

> > how do i do this from XP though?

> > > Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Microsoft Internet Explorer |
> > > Add/Remove

> > > --
> > > Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/OE
> > > Please Reply in Newsgroup.  I don't answer email.
> > > http://www.fjsmjs.com

IE Repair Tool??

Post by Kill » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 13:16:12

Drat, I ran the bat file and it pops up a dll error message indicating
"Error loading setupwbv.dll The specified module could not be found." Is
this file on the Windows XP disk somewhere?

> If you can't find it anywhere, the attached bat file runs it.

> > Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

IE Repair Tool??

Post by Frank Saunders MS-MVP, IE/O » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:02:59

Apparently not.  I couldn't find it either.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP. IE/OE
Please Reply in newsgroup.  I don't read unsolicited email.

> Drat, I ran the bat file and it pops up a dll error message indicating
> "Error loading setupwbv.dll The specified module could not be found." Is
> this file on the Windows XP disk somewhere?

> > If you can't find it anywhere, the attached bat file runs it.

> > > Is there such a thing and how do i use it?

1. IE Repair Tool bug?

I had reloaded Win98 onto my new hard drive and downloaded and installed
the latest IE6. Later I had occasion to run the Internet Explorer Repair
Tool. It fixed the problem but blew all driver settings to heck. There
were 10 minutes' worth of "searching for a new driver" messages from
W98, and I had to help find 'em in some cases. One, an "unknown device"
is still popping up. Well, gosh, I don't know either. Two questions:

1. Do I ever dare to run the repair tool again? Whahappen?

2. Is there some way to stop Windows from asking for that cursed unknown
device at every startup?

RS

2. application hang up error 1001

3. IE Repair Tool-replaced scrrun.dll

4. Cannot open secondary/link windows

5. IE Repair Tool

6. NS4.6: Can you Force use of Java Plug-in?

7. IE-6 Repair tool reverts OE-6 to OE-4

8. ctrl alt delete

9. The IE 6 repair tool

10. I.E. Secret Repair Tool!!!!

11. Disk repair tools, any tools.

12. IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

13. corrupted AVI file repair tool