locked out of TOOLS/OPTIONS

Post by MURP » Sat, 03 May 2003 06:32:49

I have somehow placed a restriction on going to
TOOLS/OPTIONS in IE 6.0, I get a message to contact my
System Admin.
Since that is me for my home system, I'm hoping someone
can tell me how to remove this restriction!
Thanks!

locked out of TOOLS/OPTIONS

Post by PA Bea » Sat, 03 May 2003 06:57:54

>> I have somehow placed a restriction on going to
>> TOOLS/OPTIONS in IE 6.0, I get a message to contact my
>> System Admin.
>> Since that is me for my home system, I'm hoping someone
>> can tell me how to remove this restriction!
>> Thanks!

Frequently (!) posted by MVP Alan Edwards and others:
<snip>
Use Regedit.exe and search for NoBrowserOptions and remove it.
It is most likely to be here (but not necessarily)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions
If you are unfamiliar with Regedit, then ensure you know how to
restore your Registry in case of error and it is a good to export any
key before deleting.

Check the startup (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab) for any unknown
items if it is reset on reboot.

You might try this snippet from Mike Burgess first if you use SpyBot:
'Did you by chance run SpyBot's Immunize feature?
If so, you can unlock by unchecking the option to "Protect IE Control
Panel" '
<end>
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

locked out of TOOLS/OPTIONS

Post by MURP » Sat, 03 May 2003 08:12:48

> [...]

Quote:>Panel" '
><end>
>--
>HTH...Please post back to this thread

>~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
>MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>.
>Thank you PA Bear and Mike Burgess!

It was Spybot!
MURPH

locked out of TOOLS/OPTIONS

Post by Mike Burges » Sat, 03 May 2003 14:06:30

MURPH,
You're welcome ..... glad to see you have things resolved.
_______________________________________
Mike Burgess   http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 4-28-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

locked out of TOOLS/OPTIONS

Post by JNS » Wed, 07 May 2003 18:02:15

Thank God! I have struggled with this for 3 weeks. I have
been told to switch to Netscape. Dump my profile (not
practical),switch to another ISP,Reinstall
XP,Explorer,Win98,and buy another sys because this one is
screwed.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have somehow placed a restriction on going to
>TOOLS/OPTIONS in IE 6.0, I get a message to contact my
>System Admin.
>Since that is me for my home system, I'm hoping someone
>can tell me how to remove this restriction!
>Thanks!
>.

locked out of TOOLS/OPTIONS

Post by jnschneide » Wed, 07 May 2003 18:05:52

PA Bear. Tell Mike thanks. It was SpyBot!
> [...]

locked out of TOOLS/OPTIONS

jnschneider,
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 5-04-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> PA Bear. Tell Mike thanks. It was SpyBot!

1. Tools - Internet Options locked by javascript?

My system in W98SE with IE6 all up-to-date as of today....

Some javascripter or ActiveXer must have gotten into my system and
locked me out of my own IE6 Tools - Internet Options to be funny.  I
get the message Restricted - Contact you System Administrator and it
won't let me change anything, now.

Does anyone know where this key is in the Registry or INI files would
be to save me searching through a Registry that's as big as the IRS
main database or can tell me how to get my IE6 back to "normal" and
unlocked, again?

How can I prevent this in the future?  Is there another patch I'm
missing?  It happened while IE6 was autoupdated to the latest service
pack patches.  Must be another hole we've not patched, yet.

Thanks for any help you can give me.  I'd like to change its
parameters but can't.  I don't use it often because I browse with
Opera 7, but have to browse with IE on some sites because of the
proprietary Microsoft crap.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

2. floppy disc problem

3. Windows 95B Policy lock outs

4. Streaming Title/Artist..this ? is for SDK Guru's

5. Cannot open "Tools,Internet Options" ("option cancelled")

6. cant see all of the message

7. No email option in IE 6 - Tools|Options|Programs

8. Installation Problem with XP

9. DirectX errors, games lock, Diagnostic Tool locks

10. LED Status Indicator for Caps Lock Num Lock & Scroll Lock

11. keyboard problems: keyboard unusable after pressing caps-lock, num-lock or scroll-lock

12. Caps Lock / Num Lock / Scroll Lock

13. NT/@K Lock down tool