Wild Card Search in the body of OE messages

Wild Card Search in the body of OE messages

Post by J Hei » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:10:22

Does anyone know how to do a wild card search within the
body of an Outlook Express message?

For example, if i was searching all e-mails that included
any type of text after a field called "Phone Number" to
quickly see if any responders inlcuded a number.

I would select Find... and enter "Phone Number" as the
search criteria within the body, but every message
has "Phone Number" within, even if the data after it is
blank.  I need to find the messages that have data
AFTER "Phone Number" (ie. Phone Number: 555-555-5555)

Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Robert Aldwinckl » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 05:47:06

> Does anyone know how to do a wild card search within the
> body of an Outlook Express message?

OE doesn't have such a feature.   One way to do it would
be to create a new folder and copy all the messages you
want to search there.   Then you could either extract all
those messages en masse using  DBXtract  or  simply
search the raw  .DBX  file using a more  potent search
tool.   It might even be sufficient just to do something like

    find  /n /i  "phone number"  temp.dbx

Be aware that that would have the potential of missing
some cases.   The problem there is that any literal string
may actually be present in the file but be interrupted at
any place in the string by 16 bytes of control information.
Obviously the probability of having such a miss depends
on the length of the string being searched for and the
number of occurrences in the file.  Nevertheless, it can be
a surprisingly good approximation to a complete solution
in many cases.

For the particular string you are searching for you could
also use OE's Advanced Search tool.  Ctrl-Shift-F.
Then you just step through the results using  F3  to find
the context  and   Ctrl->  to go to the next hit.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

1. Wild card in message rules

Hello All

Is there a way to use a wildcard in message rules?

I tried using '*.com' to remove newsgroup messages with a from line like

it doesn't seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong?

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

(I prefer that you reply by posting back to the newsgroup. If you must
email: remove "killspam" from reply address. This email address will be
valid for a short time only.)

2. Internet Ads Seize Control of IE 5.1.3?

3. wild card characters for message rules

4. Win98ME Font Display problems

5. OE 6 doesn't show message body

6. Display settings

7. Any way to automatically download ng message bodies in OE 6?

8. MOUSEVKD.386 Driver

9. OE 6.0 prints blank message body

10. Message Body in OE appears blank in all emails

11. OE 6 does not display message bodies

12. OE 6 has blank message bodies in all of my emails after installing!!

13. all message bodies blank/empty OE 6