Attachments won't open

Post by Alia » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:00:16

> I can't open or save attachments any more.  When I try to save attachments I
> get a message that says "Please check your free disk space".  I did recently
> copy everything over to a larger hard drive via cloneing method.

Right click on your desktop IE icon/Properties/Delete files/tick delete
off line files. Try again.

Alias

Attachments won't open

Post by Bruce Hage » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 03:15:50

Do a little house cleaning.

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently.
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

>I deleted the offline files but I still get the same error.

>> > I can't open or save attachments any more.  When I try to save
>> > attachments I
>> > get a message that says "Please check your free disk space".  I did
>> > recently
>> > copy everything over to a larger hard drive via cloneing method.

>> Right click on your desktop IE icon/Properties/Delete files/tick delete
>> off line files. Try again.

>> Alias

Attachments won't open

Post by Alia » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 03:32:44

> I deleted the offline files but I still get the same error.

Reboot. Empty the two temps files, the one under your profile and the
one in Windows.

Alias

>>> I can't open or save attachments any more.  When I try to save attachments I
>>> get a message that says "Please check your free disk space".  I did recently
>>> copy everything over to a larger hard drive via cloneing method.
>> Right click on your desktop IE icon/Properties/Delete files/tick delete
>> off line files. Try again.

>> Alias

Attachments won't open

Post by Jon » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 04:59:02

I tried cleaning out temp files & compacted email files with no luck.

> > I deleted the offline files but I still get the same error.

> Reboot. Empty the two temps files, the one under your profile and the
> one in Windows.

> Alias

> >> Right click on your desktop IE icon/Properties/Delete files/tick delete
> >> off line files. Try again.

> >> Alias

Attachments won't open

Post by Jim Pickerin » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 05:08:56

Suspect your problem is related to the "cloning" software you used.  It
probably just created a new drive of the same size as your earlier one and
you've just run out of space.  Try opening the drive in My Computer and
seeing how much free space is available and let us know.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only.

>I tried cleaning out temp files & compacted email files with no luck.

>> > I deleted the offline files but I still get the same error.

>> Reboot. Empty the two temps files, the one under your profile and the
>> one in Windows.

>> Alias

Attachments won't open

Post by Jon » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 05:20:02

The new hard has about 105GB remaining.  The old drive was starting to fail.
Could ther be some corrupted files that transferred to the new drive?

> Suspect your problem is related to the "cloning" software you used.  It
> probably just created a new drive of the same size as your earlier one and
> you've just run out of space.  Try opening the drive in My Computer and
> seeing how much free space is available and let us know.
> --
> Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
> Please reply to newsgroup only.
> Please provide feedback so that others may be helped.

> >I tried cleaning out temp files & compacted email files with no luck.

> >> Reboot. Empty the two temps files, the one under your profile and the
> >> one in Windows.

> >> Alias

Attachments won't open

Post by Jim Pickerin » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 05:52:29

That's hard to tell.  You can run scandisk or chkdsk on the drive (depending
on your OS) and follow that fixup with a Defrag and see if either or both of
those help fix it.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=F9F51EF1-4AE3-4D23-B2D8-117...