Date/Time "Sent" vs "Received"

Post by Z Ma » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:38:14

I am experiencing some confusion in determining what these two columns mean.
Usually, the Sent column shows information that is a little bit earlier than
Received, while many times the date/time is exactly the same. Occasionally,
there is a larger difference. Is the Received date/time when I actually
opened up Outlook Express and pressed send/receive for that account? Or, is
it the date/time it was received on my mail server, regardless of when I
actually polled for mail? What about Sent? Does that refer to when the
sender pressed Send? This all started because people are telling me that
they sent me email much earlier than I received it, even though I check for
new email very, very frequently. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Date/Time "Sent" vs "Received"

Post by Rich Cervenk » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:15:24

>I am experiencing some confusion in determining what these two columns mean.
>Usually, the Sent column shows information that is a little bit earlier than
>Received, while many times the date/time is exactly the same. Occasionally,
>there is a larger difference. Is the Received date/time when I actually
>opened up Outlook Express and pressed send/receive for that account? Or, is
>it the date/time it was received on my mail server, regardless of when I
>actually polled for mail? What about Sent? Does that refer to when the
>sender pressed Send? This all started because people are telling me that
>they sent me email much earlier than I received it, even though I check for
>new email very, very frequently. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I certainly do not claim to be an expert but, as I understand it, the
'Sent' column reflects the time that was on the clock of the computer
that sent the message at the time that the message was sent, which
explains why some dates/times in this column sometimes make no sense
(the sender's clock may be incorrect) . The 'Received' time is the
time that the message was received on your mail server, not the time
that you downloaded it.

Happy holidays!
--
Rich Cervenka
Chicago, Illinois, USA

1. Files: "Date Created" vs Date "Modified"

When I create a new file the creation date/time appears in Explorer
under "Date Modified" and under "Date Created".

When I copy that file to another folder on another day, that other day's
date appears
under "Date Created" and the original creation date appears under "Date
Modified".

Sounds like "Modified" means "created or changed" and "created" means
"placed here".

Does anyone know the logic behind this ?

2. Help ! Word 6.0

3. "New Message", "Send Page" & "Send a Link" from IE6

4. Reconfig HDs

5. ??? "Unofficial IP Address" --- "Proxy Server" VS "Windows2000Server" ???

6. (no subject)

7. subfolders of "Sent Items" show "From" instead of "To"

8. Modem sharing and NT/95

9. "My Documents" - using "search" and "Send to"

10. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

11. WANTED """ NT 3.51 Training Videos """" WANTED

12. "Send Link" and "Send Page" disappeared

13. IE 6 won't recognize "send web page" or "send link"