HELP! Visited Links NOT Keeping Visited Color!

HELP! Visited Links NOT Keeping Visited Color!

Post by <im.. » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 08:38:24

Hi,
I'm using Internet Explorer, and am a member of several online forums.  I keep track of the messages I've read by looking at the
colors of the links.  Blue says I haven't read it; purple says it's been read.

However, I find it extremely frustrating that the color of the visited links revert back to the color of unvisited links after a
week or two.  How am I supposed to know which message I've read, especially those with the same subject topic?  As a result, I have
to go through every single one of them again, just to find the ones that I haven't read.

Is there an effective way that I can solve this problem *permanently*?

Thanks.

Patrick

HELP! Visited Links NOT Keeping Visited Color!

Post by Mike Burges » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:28:26

Patrick,
How many days do you have your History set to?
Note: clearing the History, or exceeding the "Days to keep", results in this
problem.
Also when the "page viewed" has changed, this occurs.
_____________________________
Mike Burgess
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> Hi,
> I'm using Internet Explorer, and am a member of several online forums.  I

keep track of the messages I've read by looking at the
Quote:> colors of the links.  Blue says I haven't read it; purple says it's been
read.

> However, I find it extremely frustrating that the color of the visited

links revert back to the color of unvisited links after a
Quote:> week or two.  How am I supposed to know which message I've read,

especially those with the same subject topic?  As a result, I have
Quote:> to go through every single one of them again, just to find the ones that I
haven't read.

> Is there an effective way that I can solve this problem *permanently*?

> Thanks.

> Patrick

HELP! Visited Links NOT Keeping Visited Color!

Post by <im.. » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 12:45:05

Hi Mike,
My History was set to 60 days because of this problem, but that didn't help at all.

Regards,
Patrick

> Patrick,
> How many days do you have your History set to?
> Note: clearing the History, or exceeding the "Days to keep", results in this
> problem.
> Also when the "page viewed" has changed, this occurs.
> _____________________________
> Mike Burgess
> Information isn't free if you can't find it!
> Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
> --

> > Hi,
> > I'm using Internet Explorer, and am a member of several online forums.  I
> keep track of the messages I've read by looking at the
> > colors of the links.  Blue says I haven't read it; purple says it's been
> read.

> > However, I find it extremely frustrating that the color of the visited
> links revert back to the color of unvisited links after a
> > week or two.  How am I supposed to know which message I've read,
> especially those with the same subject topic?  As a result, I have
> > to go through every single one of them again, just to find the ones that I
> haven't read.

> > Is there an effective way that I can solve this problem *permanently*?

> > Thanks.

> > Patrick

HELP! Visited Links NOT Keeping Visited Color!

Post by Mike Burges » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 20:51:36

Patrick,
I wouldn't set the "Days to keep" to any more than 20 days.
You may need to (depending on your OS) completely delete the History folder,
including the index.dat.
Either the DOS method:

To use the DOS method to clear your TIF
Insert your WinMe bootdisk and restart
Select: "Minimal" from the menu
From A:\> (type and press Enter after each command)

C:
cd\windows
smartdrv
deltree tempor~1
deltree history
deltree temp

Remove the bootdisk and restart (Ctrl-Alt-Del)

 [or]
How To: Delete the Temporary Internet Files in Windows XP
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
_____________________________
Mike Burgess
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> Hi Mike,
> My History was set to 60 days because of this problem, but that didn't
help at all.

> Regards,
> Patrick

> > Patrick,
> > How many days do you have your History set to?
> > Note: clearing the History, or exceeding the "Days to keep", results in
this
> > problem.
> > Also when the "page viewed" has changed, this occurs.
> > _____________________________
> > Mike Burgess
> > Information isn't free if you can't find it!
> > Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
> > --

> > > Hi,
> > > I'm using Internet Explorer, and am a member of several online forums.
> > keep track of the messages I've read by looking at the
> > > colors of the links.  Blue says I haven't read it; purple says it's
been
> > read.

> > > However, I find it extremely frustrating that the color of the visited
> > links revert back to the color of unvisited links after a
> > > week or two.  How am I supposed to know which message I've read,
> > especially those with the same subject topic?  As a result, I have
> > > to go through every single one of them again, just to find the ones
that I
> > haven't read.

> > > Is there an effective way that I can solve this problem *permanently*?

> > > Thanks.

> > > Patrick

HELP! Visited Links NOT Keeping Visited Color!

Post by Sparky1 » Sun, 09 Feb 2003 02:33:23

Do you have any sort of system maintenance program set up with an automatic
schedule?  For example, Norton's Cleansweep (part of Systemworks) will do
exactly what you are talking about, unless the options are set to skip web
history.  Some of the installation defaults (like choosing automatic
"protection") will schedule Cleansweep to start on its own.  Microsoft's
automatic maintenance might do the same with Disk Cleanup.

Sparky