Outlook Express doesn't display the body of some emails.

Outlook Express doesn't display the body of some emails.

Post by William Stey » Tue, 23 May 2006 22:06:31

The problem is that a email from particular persons comes into Outlook
express on a brand new Win XP sp 2 laptop when you double click to open it
there is nothing in the body of the email. If you close it and look at the
size column you can see that there must be something in it since the emails
vary but can be up to 12 KB in size.

If you drag the Email onto the desktop and double click it. Then Outlook
Express happily opens it and displays the whole email, formatting and
everything.

I thought that it might be something to do with the store. So I re-imported
all the emails back into the account. Now every one of the emails received
up until the point of the importation can be viewed directly in Outlook
Express as if there was never a problem. But new emails from these specific
people still comes up as blank if you try to open them.

The only thing that I think is worth mentioning about it is that the primary
sender that causes these problems, uses Lotus Notes. So I believe there is a
formatting issue here between the two emailing methods but I just can't get
a better work around than copying the emails to the desktop first before
opening them.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Outlook Express doesn't display the body of some emails.

Post by Bruce Hage » Tue, 23 May 2006 22:52:19

Since it is from only one person, it sounds like they are sending in a
format that OE can't read. Ask them to try a different format like Plain
Text.

Make sure for you that in OE: Tools | Options | Read | Fonts. Choose:
Western European (ISO).

Ctrl+F3 will also show the message, but that is not the result you want, of
course.
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Quote:> The problem is that a email from particular persons comes into Outlook
> express on a brand new Win XP sp 2 laptop when you double click to open it
> there is nothing in the body of the email. If you close it and look at the
> size column you can see that there must be something in it since the
> emails
> vary but can be up to 12 KB in size.

> If you drag the Email onto the desktop and double click it. Then Outlook
> Express happily opens it and displays the whole email, formatting and
> everything.

> I thought that it might be something to do with the store. So I
> re-imported
> all the emails back into the account. Now every one of the emails received
> up until the point of the importation can be viewed directly in Outlook
> Express as if there was never a problem. But new emails from these
> specific
> people still comes up as blank if you try to open them.

> The only thing that I think is worth mentioning about it is that the
> primary
> sender that causes these problems, uses Lotus Notes. So I believe there is
> formatting issue here between the two emailing methods but I just can't
> get
> a better work around than copying the emails to the desktop first before
> opening them.

> Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Outlook Express doesn't display the body of some emails.

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP O » Wed, 24 May 2006 03:42:59

If the sender is using Lotus Notes then I think this is a known problem.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
"Anyone who prefers security over freedom deserves neither."

Quote:> The problem is that a email from particular persons comes into Outlook
> express on a brand new Win XP sp 2 laptop when you double click to open it
> there is nothing in the body of the email. If you close it and look at the
> size column you can see that there must be something in it since the
> emails
> vary but can be up to 12 KB in size.

> If you drag the Email onto the desktop and double click it. Then Outlook
> Express happily opens it and displays the whole email, formatting and
> everything.

> I thought that it might be something to do with the store. So I
> re-imported
> all the emails back into the account. Now every one of the emails received
> up until the point of the importation can be viewed directly in Outlook
> Express as if there was never a problem. But new emails from these
> specific
> people still comes up as blank if you try to open them.

> The only thing that I think is worth mentioning about it is that the
> primary
> sender that causes these problems, uses Lotus Notes. So I believe there is
> formatting issue here between the two emailing methods but I just can't
> get
> a better work around than copying the emails to the desktop first before
> opening them.

> Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Outlook Express doesn't display the body of some emails.

Post by Michael Santove » Wed, 24 May 2006 11:19:45

Are you perhaps using SpamKiller?  It is known to corrupt messages from
Lotus Notes.

As a work around, you can read the message by looking at the Message
Source (Ctrl-F3).  It won't be pretty.

Quote:> The problem is that a email from particular persons comes into Outlook
> express on a brand new Win XP sp 2 laptop when you double click to
> open it
> there is nothing in the body of the email. If you close it and look at
> the
> size column you can see that there must be something in it since the
> emails
> vary but can be up to 12 KB in size.

> If you drag the Email onto the desktop and double click it. Then
> Outlook
> Express happily opens it and displays the whole email, formatting and
> everything.

> I thought that it might be something to do with the store. So I
> re-imported
> all the emails back into the account. Now every one of the emails
> received
> up until the point of the importation can be viewed directly in
> Outlook
> Express as if there was never a problem. But new emails from these
> specific
> people still comes up as blank if you try to open them.

> The only thing that I think is worth mentioning about it is that the
> primary
> sender that causes these problems, uses Lotus Notes. So I believe
> there is a
> formatting issue here between the two emailing methods but I just
> can't get
> a better work around than copying the emails to the desktop first
> before
> opening them.

> Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Outlook Express doesn't display the body of some emails.

Post by William Stey » Thu, 25 May 2006 00:43:59

Hi there Michael.

This is interesting. The computer is using Spamkiller. I have disabled it
right at the start when we started using the pc but this sounds to be the
most likely reason for my problem. I'll have a look on Mcafee's site to see
if I can find any solutions to this problem, but if you have any more
sugestions please let me know.

Thanks,

> Are you perhaps using SpamKiller?  It is known to corrupt messages from
> Lotus Notes.

> As a work around, you can read the message by looking at the Message
> Source (Ctrl-F3).  It won't be pretty.

> --

> Mike - http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

> > The problem is that a email from particular persons comes into Outlook
> > express on a brand new Win XP sp 2 laptop when you double click to
> > open it
> > there is nothing in the body of the email. If you close it and look at
> > the
> > size column you can see that there must be something in it since the
> > emails
> > vary but can be up to 12 KB in size.

> > If you drag the Email onto the desktop and double click it. Then
> > Outlook
> > Express happily opens it and displays the whole email, formatting and
> > everything.

> > I thought that it might be something to do with the store. So I
> > re-imported
> > all the emails back into the account. Now every one of the emails
> > received
> > up until the point of the importation can be viewed directly in
> > Outlook
> > Express as if there was never a problem. But new emails from these
> > specific
> > people still comes up as blank if you try to open them.

> > The only thing that I think is worth mentioning about it is that the
> > primary
> > sender that causes these problems, uses Lotus Notes. So I believe
> > there is a
> > formatting issue here between the two emailing methods but I just
> > can't get
> > a better work around than copying the emails to the desktop first
> > before
> > opening them.

> > Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Outlook Express doesn't display the body of some emails.

Post by Michael Santove » Thu, 25 May 2006 02:47:05

See the Problems and Complications section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm#problem

You'll find a description there of what SpamKiller is doing to the Lotus
Notes messages.

I'm not aware of McAfee acknowledging the problem.  If SpamKiller didn't
modify the MIME header (which is as no business doing), the problem
would go away.

> Hi there Michael.

> This is interesting. The computer is using Spamkiller. I have disabled
> it
> right at the start when we started using the pc but this sounds to be
> the
> most likely reason for my problem. I'll have a look on Mcafee's site
> to see
> if I can find any solutions to this problem, but if you have any more
> sugestions please let me know.

> Thanks,

>> Are you perhaps using SpamKiller?  It is known to corrupt messages
>> from
>> Lotus Notes.

>> As a work around, you can read the message by looking at the Message
>> Source (Ctrl-F3).  It won't be pretty.

>> --

>> Mike - http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

>> > The problem is that a email from particular persons comes into
>> > Outlook
>> > express on a brand new Win XP sp 2 laptop when you double click to
>> > open it
>> > there is nothing in the body of the email. If you close it and look
>> > at
>> > the
>> > size column you can see that there must be something in it since
>> > the
>> > emails
>> > vary but can be up to 12 KB in size.

>> > If you drag the Email onto the desktop and double click it. Then
>> > Outlook
>> > Express happily opens it and displays the whole email, formatting
>> > and
>> > everything.

>> > I thought that it might be something to do with the store. So I
>> > re-imported
>> > all the emails back into the account. Now every one of the emails
>> > received
>> > up until the point of the importation can be viewed directly in
>> > Outlook
>> > Express as if there was never a problem. But new emails from these
>> > specific
>> > people still comes up as blank if you try to open them.

>> > The only thing that I think is worth mentioning about it is that
>> > the
>> > primary
>> > sender that causes these problems, uses Lotus Notes. So I believe
>> > there is a
>> > formatting issue here between the two emailing methods but I just
>> > can't get
>> > a better work around than copying the emails to the desktop first
>> > before
>> > opening them.

>> > Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1. Outlook Express 6; message bodies won't display in newsreader

I've got a new system with XP Professional; using Outlook 2000 for
email, but for newsreader it uses outlook express 6.

I had this working fine, but now, all of a sudden, the message bodies
won't display, I get all the message subject lines, but it's just blank
beneath.

I've removed and reinstalled OE6, same thing.

I installed the Mozilla newsreader and it works fine, so it's not a
connection problem (I have DSL).

Any suggestions?   I can't find anything I changed in the settngs that
would cause this, or anything to change that sets it right.

Thank you!

2. FREE Product Showcase

3. Outlook Express doesn't display any text in message pane

4. Resize my partition

5. Outlook Express Doesn't Display HTML Message Content

6. Dial Up Networking Version

7. OE doesn't display message bodies

8. Shooting video for RGB and MPEG output

9. Outlook Express doesnt display message body

10. outlook express 6 sends email but doesn't delete

11. cannot read the body of my emails in Outlook Express

12. Outlook express will not show any text in body of all e-mails

13. outlook express loses body of e-mails with SP2