Viewing .TIF files in IE 6 (not the View Button Issue again); ftp woes

Viewing .TIF files in IE 6 (not the View Button Issue again); ftp woes

Post by Kirk » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:12:53

Group,

Just wanted to share some information I discovered
regarding the viewing of .TIF files (and possibly other
file types) in IE 6 that caused me no small measure of
grief.

As you've probably read by now, there is a registry edit
necessary to allow users to download and View, instead of
being forced to download and Save As in IE 6.  Do a search
on msdn for q319829 if you need more information about
that.

However, after applying the registry edit in the article
apropos to q319829, we were still having problems viewing
TIF files within our web app. (hint: our web app uses ftp
to send the file to the client)

Symptom:
After applying the registry edit to allow Viewing of TIF
files in IE 6, the browser would start the included Kodak
Imaging software which would pass back an error along the
lines of "Image Page File not found".

Cause (as far as I can tell):
When IE downloads a TIF (and possibly other types of
files) using ftp, it doesn't store the file in the disk
cache, but it does start the Kodak Imaging software with a
cache location for the file.  Imaging then reports that
the file cannot be found and, at least on the local
system, that is true.

My hack-job solution:
Using ftp to transfer the TIF files was really an
antiquated part of our system, and was easily replaced
with HTTP, which remedied the problem.  For those married
to ftp for some reason, instructing users to manually
start Kodak Imaging, then selecting File... Open... and
pasting the full ftp address (credentials and all) into
the File Name field will allow Imaging to open the file
via ftp directly.

If there is a way to force caching of these files when
accessed via ftp, I haven't found it.  However, I have a
suspicion that the article
url=/workshop/browser/hosting/wbcustomization.asp might
provide some insight.  For practical reasons, I haven't
pursued it.  Its also possible that a registry setting in
either
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio
n or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer might control this behavior as well.

Good Luck,
thecaptain

Viewing .TIF files in IE 6 (not the View Button Issue again); ftp woes

Post by ricket » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 02:14:47

AFAIK the ability to use Imaging for Windows (I4W - Kodak/Wang) to view tiff
files "within" a browser window became unavailable in 5.5 SP2 and IE6. (you
could do it prior to that by using an IMG element pointing to the tiff
file).

The registry fix you attempted should have let you view the tiff file in a
separate I4W window, but not within an area provided by the browser. I think
this implies an EMBED element to do it. I can't explain why the fix did not
solve it for you.

You may find Alternatiff provides an add-in that works, though it is only
"free" in a non-commercial environment. It can be invoked with an EMBED
element.

hope this helps and does not just add to the confusion

--
Rickety

Quote:> Group,

> Just wanted to share some information I discovered
> regarding the viewing of .TIF files (and possibly other
> file types) in IE 6 that caused me no small measure of
> grief.

> As you've probably read by now, there is a registry edit
> necessary to allow users to download and View, instead of
> being forced to download and Save As in IE 6.  Do a search
> on msdn for q319829 if you need more information about
> that.

> However, after applying the registry edit in the article
> apropos to q319829, we were still having problems viewing
> TIF files within our web app. (hint: our web app uses ftp
> to send the file to the client)

> Symptom:
> After applying the registry edit to allow Viewing of TIF
> files in IE 6, the browser would start the included Kodak
> Imaging software which would pass back an error along the
> lines of "Image Page File not found".

> Cause (as far as I can tell):
> When IE downloads a TIF (and possibly other types of
> files) using ftp, it doesn't store the file in the disk
> cache, but it does start the Kodak Imaging software with a
> cache location for the file.  Imaging then reports that
> the file cannot be found and, at least on the local
> system, that is true.

> My hack-job solution:
> Using ftp to transfer the TIF files was really an
> antiquated part of our system, and was easily replaced
> with HTTP, which remedied the problem.  For those married
> to ftp for some reason, instructing users to manually
> start Kodak Imaging, then selecting File... Open... and
> pasting the full ftp address (credentials and all) into
> the File Name field will allow Imaging to open the file
> via ftp directly.

> If there is a way to force caching of these files when
> accessed via ftp, I haven't found it.  However, I have a
> suspicion that the article
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
> url=/workshop/browser/hosting/wbcustomization.asp might
> provide some insight.  For practical reasons, I haven't
> pursued it.  Its also possible that a registry setting in
> either
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio
> n or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer might control this behavior as well.

> Good Luck,
> thecaptain

Viewing .TIF files in IE 6 (not the View Button Issue again); ftp woes

Post by Jim Byr » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 02:49:53

Hi Kirk - FWIW, IrfanView32, v. 3.75, here:  http://www.irfanview.com/  will handle .tif/.tiff formats very nicely including a number of forms that the Kodak software won't touch.  Regards, Jim Byrd

Quote:> Group,

> Just wanted to share some information I discovered
> regarding the viewing of .TIF files (and possibly other
> file types) in IE 6 that caused me no small measure of
> grief.

> As you've probably read by now, there is a registry edit
> necessary to allow users to download and View, instead of
> being forced to download and Save As in IE 6.  Do a search
> on msdn for q319829 if you need more information about
> that.

> However, after applying the registry edit in the article
> apropos to q319829, we were still having problems viewing
> TIF files within our web app. (hint: our web app uses ftp
> to send the file to the client)

> Symptom:
> After applying the registry edit to allow Viewing of TIF
> files in IE 6, the browser would start the included Kodak
> Imaging software which would pass back an error along the
> lines of "Image Page File not found".

> Cause (as far as I can tell):
> When IE downloads a TIF (and possibly other types of
> files) using ftp, it doesn't store the file in the disk
> cache, but it does start the Kodak Imaging software with a
> cache location for the file.  Imaging then reports that
> the file cannot be found and, at least on the local
> system, that is true.

> My hack-job solution:
> Using ftp to transfer the TIF files was really an
> antiquated part of our system, and was easily replaced
> with HTTP, which remedied the problem.  For those married
> to ftp for some reason, instructing users to manually
> start Kodak Imaging, then selecting File... Open... and
> pasting the full ftp address (credentials and all) into
> the File Name field will allow Imaging to open the file
> via ftp directly.

> If there is a way to force caching of these files when
> accessed via ftp, I haven't found it.  However, I have a
> suspicion that the article
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
> url=/workshop/browser/hosting/wbcustomization.asp might
> provide some insight.  For practical reasons, I haven't
> pursued it.  Its also possible that a registry setting in
> either
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio
> n or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer might control this behavior as well.

> Good Luck,
> thecaptain

---

Viewing .TIF files in IE 6 (not the View Button Issue again); ftp woes

Post by Kirk » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:19:11

Thanks for the replies rickety and Jim.

Actually, for my application in-browser viewing
was not necessary.  Having changed my resource
access protocol from ftp to http has fixed the
problems viewing the files in Kodak Imaging (provided
the registry update has already been made on the
client).

I will pose this follow up question, however:
Suppose I want to figure out the exact command IE
uses to invoke a helper application- Kodak Imaging
in this case.  Is it possible to see what actual
command is invoked?  I assume that the command syntax
will be like that associated with the specified action
for that file type: mine for instance is "D:\Program
Files\Windows NT\Accessories\ImageVue\KodakPrv.exe" "%1".

Is there a way for me to see or capture this command?
If I'm right and the browser uses the above command
to start the Imaging viewer, what would have been
helpful to me is to see what value "%1" took.

If I'm way off on the interaction between IE and Imaging,
I'd appreciate a little guidance.

Thanks a lot everyone,
Kirk

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Group,

>Just wanted to share some information I discovered
>regarding the viewing of .TIF files (and possibly other
>file types) in IE 6 that caused me no small measure of
>grief.

>As you've probably read by now, there is a registry edit
>necessary to allow users to download and View, instead of
>being forced to download and Save As in IE 6.  Do a
search
>on msdn for q319829 if you need more information about
>that.

>However, after applying the registry edit in the article
>apropos to q319829, we were still having problems viewing
>TIF files within our web app. (hint: our web app uses ftp
>to send the file to the client)

>Symptom:
>After applying the registry edit to allow Viewing of TIF
>files in IE 6, the browser would start the included Kodak
>Imaging software which would pass back an error along the
>lines of "Image Page File not found".

>Cause (as far as I can tell):
>When IE downloads a TIF (and possibly other types of
>files) using ftp, it doesn't store the file in the disk
>cache, but it does start the Kodak Imaging software with
>cache location for the file.  Imaging then reports that
>the file cannot be found and, at least on the local
>system, that is true.

>My hack-job solution:
>Using ftp to transfer the TIF files was really an
>antiquated part of our system, and was easily replaced
>with HTTP, which remedied the problem.  For those married
>to ftp for some reason, instructing users to manually
>start Kodak Imaging, then selecting File... Open... and
>pasting the full ftp address (credentials and all) into
>the File Name field will allow Imaging to open the file
>via ftp directly.

>If there is a way to force caching of these files when
>accessed via ftp, I haven't found it.  However, I have a
>suspicion that the article
>url=/workshop/browser/hosting/wbcustomization.asp might
>provide some insight.  For practical reasons, I haven't
>pursued it.  Its also possible that a registry setting in
>either
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
>n or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
>Explorer might control this behavior as well.

>Good Luck,
>thecaptain
>.

Viewing .TIF files in IE 6 (not the View Button Issue again); ftp woes

Post by ricket » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:51:06

I'm watching the thread !

I'm not sure if this comments is more trivial than you were asking, but the
%1 on the command line normally is the filename. I suspect that the contents
are therefore the name of the temporary internet file where the image file
is stashed.

I guess one could write a VB program , substitute it for the I4W Kodak and
MSGBOX the parameter that's passed!

--
Rickety

Quote:> Thanks for the replies rickety and Jim.

> Actually, for my application in-browser viewing
> was not necessary.  Having changed my resource
> access protocol from ftp to http has fixed the
> problems viewing the files in Kodak Imaging (provided
> the registry update has already been made on the
> client).

> I will pose this follow up question, however:
> Suppose I want to figure out the exact command IE
> uses to invoke a helper application- Kodak Imaging
> in this case.  Is it possible to see what actual
> command is invoked?  I assume that the command syntax
> will be like that associated with the specified action
> for that file type: mine for instance is "D:\Program
> Files\Windows NT\Accessories\ImageVue\KodakPrv.exe" "%1".

> Is there a way for me to see or capture this command?
> If I'm right and the browser uses the above command
> to start the Imaging viewer, what would have been
> helpful to me is to see what value "%1" took.

> If I'm way off on the interaction between IE and Imaging,
> I'd appreciate a little guidance.

> Thanks a lot everyone,
> Kirk

1. Viewing TIF files in IE on XP

How do you display a TIF file in Internet Explorer 6 under XP ?

If I open (File/Open) or drop a Tif file (from a local drive) to Internet
Explorer
I just get a shortcut (with a 'Paint' icon).
Clicking on this launches Picture & Fax Viewer.  What I want is to see the
Tif file inside Internet Explorer in the same way as you can with say a Word
document.
I have tried rightclicking and selecting Internet Explorer.
Whatever I try only puts a shortcut into IE.

This works fine on other vesions of Windows, and in XP on other sorts of
documents.

Any thoughts ? Is it just my installations (I have tried 2 XP PCs with the
same problem)?

Steve

2. Win95 Beta Testers: Full Window Drag??

3. .tif files no longer automatically view with Windows 2000 and latest Security update to IE

4. Invalid VxD, number 002D, service 0001.

5. Can not view TIF files in IE6...works fine in 5.5

6. Starting cmd in minimize mode

7. Can't view TIF files Imaging "document page file cannot be found"

8. Usb hub problems

9. Viewing small pickies or buttons - no view

10. Viewing a tif image in IE 6.0

11. Slow list view and details view - Explorer creating thumbnails in list view

12. Viewing .TIF File on HP565

13. viewing TIF files