Why do my visited links not show up as visited ?

Why do my visited links not show up as visited ?

Post by Shaw » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:46:22

When I visit a link it shows up as being visited (the
color changes) but when I close IE and then reopen it, the
visited links are now shown as unvisited.  Why does it
basically reset the history all the time ?  My settings
are to clear history after like 999 days.

Why do my visited links not show up as visited ?

Post by Mike Burges » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:21:26

Shawn,
Are you using McAfee?
Also do *not* set the History to 999 days! (reset to 20)
_______________________________________
Mike Burgess   http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 3-14-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

Quote:> When I visit a link it shows up as being visited (the
> color changes) but when I close IE and then reopen it, the
> visited links are now shown as unvisited.  Why does it
> basically reset the history all the time ?  My settings
> are to clear history after like 999 days.

Why do my visited links not show up as visited ?

Post by Shaw » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:52:42

I'm using Norton Antivirus.  Why shouldn't I set the clear
history to 999 days ?  Why should I set it to 20 ?

Post by Mike Burges » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:23:22

.........Nevermind .........

> I'm using Norton Antivirus.  Why shouldn't I set the clear
> history to 999 days ?  Why should I set it to 20 ?

Post by Bugsy Siege » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:01:06

I have the same issue, IE keeps losing track of the links I have visited.
It's annoying because som eof the larger sites I visit have, literally,
thousands of links.  It's impossible to track which ones I have visited.

Anyone know what the deal is?

> .........Nevermind .........

> > I'm using Norton Antivirus.  Why shouldn't I set the clear
> > history to 999 days ?  Why should I set it to 20 ?

Post by Bugsy Siege » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:15:44

FWIW, I have history set to 99 days, and temp files allowed to use about
600mb.  So it should have plenty of room to keep visited links.  Also, not
using McAffee

> I have the same issue, IE keeps losing track of the links I have visited.
> It's annoying because som eof the larger sites I visit have, literally,
> thousands of links.  It's impossible to track which ones I have visited.

> Anyone know what the deal is?

> > .........Nevermind .........

> > > I'm using Norton Antivirus.  Why shouldn't I set the clear
> > > history to 999 days ?  Why should I set it to 20 ?

Post by Graham Hughe » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 04:01:01

One assumes that the link color that the web page you are visiting, has used
the same color as the setting you have chosen under "colors"...

in the internet options on the "General" tab

> FWIW, I have history set to 99 days, and temp files allowed to use about
> 600mb.  So it should have plenty of room to keep visited links.  Also, not
> using McAffee

> > I have the same issue, IE keeps losing track of the links I have
visited.
> > It's annoying because som eof the larger sites I visit have, literally,
> > thousands of links.  It's impossible to track which ones I have visited.

> > Anyone know what the deal is?

---

Why do my visited links not show up as visited ?

Post by Bugsy Siege » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:56:41

One could assume that the colors are all default, and purple indicates a
visited link, and blue indicates an unvisited link.

Further, one could assume that since the link is showing as having been
visited for a limited amount of time, and then reverting to the original
"unvisited" color, that the color must have changed once the link was
visited, regardless of what color I have chosen.