DCOM & Explorer.exe

Post by Heathe » Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:39:51

Hi All......

Well, this strange thing happened again and this time I wrote down the
details......which are not much different than the last time.  But I will
give them and see what you say.

I use IE/OE 6, Windows ME, etc.  After defragging, I rebooted and when I
opened Internet Explorer, Zone Alarm flew up with the following two requests
to access the 'net.....

1.  Distributed COM Services, 4.71.3328

2.  Windows Explorer wants to "act as a server"......Details are
     EXPLORER.EXE version 5.50.4134.100.

I said Yes to the first one.......then NO to the Windows Explorer one.  The
date on the DCOM one is the 6/8/2000 one when the O/S was loaded on this
computer.

I had asked PA Bear about this in with my OE corruption problem, but I think
he was a bit baffled too.  EXPLORER.EXE is in my C:\Windows folder and the
date on that one is also 6/8/2000.  It bears the version number of my
previous OE 5.5, but yet the date from 3 years ago when I bought this
computer.

What in heck is this??  Is it another one of my typical 'weirdo' computer
problems?  I haven't a clue what Distributed COM is.  Can't find it with
Search either.

It has only happened 2 or 3 times that I remember......but totally baffled
here.  Should I also deny Distributed COM access the next time?  Nothing
seems to get downloaded or changed.

My new identity is working fine and will delete the old one, btw.  But as PA
Bear thought perhaps IE6 had not loaded properly (from a CD), wonder if I
should try Repair.......but on the other hand....there is nothing wrong with
OE/IE6 that I can see.  Been on here for 15 months.

Thanks......I get these oddball ones just to keep you on your toes, grin!!
Asking in the WinME groups as well......but it may just be one of life's
mysteries!!

Figgs

DCOM & Explorer.exe

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MV » Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:33:44

Quote:> Hi All......

> Well, this strange thing happened again and this time I wrote down the
> details......which are not much different than the last time.  But I
> will give them and see what you say.

> I use IE/OE 6, Windows ME, etc.  After defragging, I rebooted and
> when I opened Internet Explorer, Zone Alarm flew up with the
> following two requests to access the 'net.....

> 1.  Distributed COM Services, 4.71.3328

> 2.  Windows Explorer wants to "act as a server"......Details are
>     EXPLORER.EXE version 5.50.4134.100.

> I said Yes to the first one.......then NO to the Windows Explorer
> one.  The date on the DCOM one is the 6/8/2000 one when the O/S was
> loaded on this computer.

> I had asked PA Bear about this in with my OE corruption problem, but
> I think he was a bit baffled too.  EXPLORER.EXE is in my C:\Windows
> folder and the date on that one is also 6/8/2000.  It bears the
> version number of my previous OE 5.5, but yet the date from 3 years
> ago when I bought this computer.

> What in heck is this??  Is it another one of my typical 'weirdo'
> computer problems?  I haven't a clue what Distributed COM is.  Can't
> find it with Search either.

> It has only happened 2 or 3 times that I remember......but totally
> baffled here.  Should I also deny Distributed COM access the next
> time?  Nothing seems to get downloaded or changed.

> My new identity is working fine and will delete the old one, btw.
> But as PA Bear thought perhaps IE6 had not loaded properly (from a
> CD), wonder if I should try Repair.......but on the other
> hand....there is nothing wrong with OE/IE6 that I can see.  Been on
> here for 15 months.

> Thanks......I get these oddball ones just to keep you on your toes,
> grin!! Asking in the WinME groups as well......but it may just be one
> of life's mysteries!!

> Figgs

Explorer.exe is Windows Explorer.  It's also the shell for Windows.  What's
the version number for Iexplore.exe in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer or
in IE's Help | About.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email

DCOM & Explorer.exe

Post by Heathe » Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:16:41

> > Hi All......

> > Well, this strange thing happened again and this time I wrote down the
> > details......which are not much different than the last time.  But I
> > will give them and see what you say.

> > I use IE/OE 6, Windows ME, etc.  After defragging, I rebooted and
> > when I opened Internet Explorer, Zone Alarm flew up with the
> > following two requests to access the 'net.....

> > 1.  Distributed COM Services, 4.71.3328

> > 2.  Windows Explorer wants to "act as a server"......Details are
> >     EXPLORER.EXE version 5.50.4134.100.

> > I said Yes to the first one.......then NO to the Windows Explorer
> > one.  The date on the DCOM one is the 6/8/2000 one when the O/S was
> > loaded on this computer.

> > I had asked PA Bear about this in with my OE corruption problem, but
> > I think he was a bit baffled too.  EXPLORER.EXE is in my C:\Windows
> > folder and the date on that one is also 6/8/2000.  It bears the
> > version number of my previous OE 5.5, but yet the date from 3 years
> > ago when I bought this computer.

> > What in heck is this??  Is it another one of my typical 'weirdo'
> > computer problems?  I haven't a clue what Distributed COM is.  Can't
> > find it with Search either.

> > It has only happened 2 or 3 times that I remember......but totally
> > baffled here.  Should I also deny Distributed COM access the next
> > time?  Nothing seems to get downloaded or changed.

> > My new identity is working fine and will delete the old one, btw.
> > But as PA Bear thought perhaps IE6 had not loaded properly (from a
> > CD), wonder if I should try Repair.......but on the other
> > hand....there is nothing wrong with OE/IE6 that I can see.  Been on
> > here for 15 months.

> > Figgs

> Explorer.exe is Windows Explorer.  It's also the shell for Windows.

What's  the version number for Iexplore.exe in C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer or  in IE's Help | About.<<<

In C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, it is 6.0.2800.1106.  In IE Help
About, it is the same but with 'IS' after the number.

I see IE5 setup.exe and IE6 setup.exe in that folder, if that matters.

Thanks....Heather.

Quote:

> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC

DCOM & Explorer.exe

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MV » Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:07:48

>>> Hi All......

>>> Well, this strange thing happened again and this time I wrote down
>>> the details......which are not much different than the last time.
>>> But I will give them and see what you say.

>>> I use IE/OE 6, Windows ME, etc.  After defragging, I rebooted and
>>> when I opened Internet Explorer, Zone Alarm flew up with the
>>> following two requests to access the 'net.....

>>> 1.  Distributed COM Services, 4.71.3328

>>> 2.  Windows Explorer wants to "act as a server"......Details are
>>>     EXPLORER.EXE version 5.50.4134.100.

>>> I said Yes to the first one.......then NO to the Windows Explorer
>>> one.  The date on the DCOM one is the 6/8/2000 one when the O/S was
>>> loaded on this computer.

>>> I had asked PA Bear about this in with my OE corruption problem, but
>>> I think he was a bit baffled too.  EXPLORER.EXE is in my C:\Windows
>>> folder and the date on that one is also 6/8/2000.  It bears the
>>> version number of my previous OE 5.5, but yet the date from 3 years
>>> ago when I bought this computer.

>>> What in heck is this??  Is it another one of my typical 'weirdo'
>>> computer problems?  I haven't a clue what Distributed COM is.  Can't
>>> find it with Search either.

>>> It has only happened 2 or 3 times that I remember......but totally
>>> baffled here.  Should I also deny Distributed COM access the next
>>> time?  Nothing seems to get downloaded or changed.

>>> My new identity is working fine and will delete the old one, btw.
>>> But as PA Bear thought perhaps IE6 had not loaded properly (from a
>>> CD), wonder if I should try Repair.......but on the other
>>> hand....there is nothing wrong with OE/IE6 that I can see.  Been on
>>> here for 15 months.

>>> Figgs

>> Explorer.exe is Windows Explorer.  It's also the shell for Windows.
> What's  the version number for Iexplore.exe in C:\Program
> Files\Internet Explorer or  in IE's Help | About.<<<

> In C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, it is 6.0.2800.1106.  In IE
> Help About, it is the same but with 'IS' after the number.

> I see IE5 setup.exe and IE6 setup.exe in that folder, if that matters.

> Thanks....Heather.

>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

That's IE6 SP1, so it installed.  Tere've been quite a few critical updates
at Windows Update since it came out.

I don't know why the setup programs would be in that folder, but they
shouln't hurt anything just being there.

--

Post by Heathe » Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:17:27

> >> Explorer.exe is Windows Explorer.  It's also the shell for Windows.
> > What's  the version number for Iexplore.exe in C:\Program
> > Files\Internet Explorer or  in IE's Help | About.<<<

> > In C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, it is 6.0.2800.1106.  In IE
> > Help About, it is the same but with 'IS' after the number.

> > I see IE5 setup.exe and IE6 setup.exe in that folder, if that matters.

> > Thanks....Heather.

> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> >> Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email
> >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> >> Protect your PC
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

> That's IE6 SP1, so it installed.  Tere've been quite a few critical
updates
> at Windows Update since it came out.

> I don't know why the setup programs would be in that folder, but they
> shouln't hurt anything just being there.

I have 9 updates/patches as well.......and Windows Update is checked
regularly.  Nothing to download.  If memory serves me right, it was you who
advised me what to download 14 months ago.  (SP1, etc)

But that Windows Explorer 'exe' and DCOM trying to access the 'net puzzled
me.

Thanks, Frank.

Heather/Figgs