Internet Connection Sharing kills Internet

Internet Connection Sharing kills Internet

Post by who me » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:57:10

I am trying to fix a Windows ME machine that can connect to the ISP, but can
not find host for mail or surf the web if Internet Connection Sharing is
installed.

Initially, I thought the problem was just corruption in the TCP/IP stack and
I removed these from the Network Neighborhood then re-installed them.  With
that fix, the surfing worked again and the e-mail worked.  But I noticed
that the Internet Connections Sharing had also disappeared when I removed
the TCP/IP features.  So I re-installed ICS and now the e-mail would not
work, nor could I surf.   I then removed ICS and the e-mail works and
surfing works again.

What am I missing with the ICS setup.  I would like to be able to use the
Internet from a second PC on the network.   Note: So far I am testing
without the network cables connected to the second PC.  I have run an
up-to-date Norton scan for virus and run an up-to-date Adaware and both came
back clean.  I have deleted the Temp. Internet files and removed all files
from the Windows\temp folder.