Setting Primary and Secondary PC set-ups for e-mail

Setting Primary and Secondary PC set-ups for e-mail

Post by Nanc » Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:11:52

I have a primary PC and a laptop both now operating with
Outlook Express 6.0.  I would like to keep e-mails on the
server if I read them on the laptop and then remove them
from the server if I use the primary PC (i.e., keep the
primary PC as the complete repository for all e-mails).
Older versions of Oulook Express had an option for not
removing e-mails from server but this seems to be missing
from the Outlook Exporess 6.0.  How do I do this now?

Setting Primary and Secondary PC set-ups for e-mail

Post by Jim Pickerin » Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:25:06

Think you're just looking in the wrong place.  It's not an option on OE's
options menu, but is under Tools/Accounts, then Mail tab and double click
the account involved.  Look then on the Advanced tab for the option to leave
a copy of messages on the server.  Be aware that this can quickly fill up
your Inbox at your ISP and may be the cause of bouncing some messages.  It's
best to only set one computer to leave a copy of the server (say a work
machine) and then clear them from the server later in the day with a at home
machine.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express
Please reply only to the newsgroup.

Quote:> I have a primary PC and a laptop both now operating with
> Outlook Express 6.0.  I would like to keep e-mails on the
> server if I read them on the laptop and then remove them
> from the server if I use the primary PC (i.e., keep the
> primary PC as the complete repository for all e-mails).
> Older versions of Oulook Express had an option for not
> removing e-mails from server but this seems to be missing
> from the Outlook Exporess 6.0.  How do I do this now?

1. Primary/Secondary and Master/Slave Settings for HDs and NTFS Partition Deletion (Win 2000)

I am an amateur at music technology and Win 2000, so please forgive me if I
ask a stupid question.  Here's my spec:

Asus CUV4X motherboard
PIII 700Mhz
128 Mb RAM
2 x Samsung SV3064D (of the SpinPoint V15300 range) 30 Gb hard disk
NVidia RIVA TNT2 M64 (32 Mb memory)
52x CD-ROM

Win 2000
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 for recording and editing of MIDI and digital audio

Note: I am on a network with a Win 98 SE machine.  I will be wanting to
access at least my documents

1.
At present, the FIRST 30 Gb HD is the primary master.  This will be
partitioned into two 15 Gb NTFS partitions: one for the Win 2000 and the
programs; the other for my documents (and preferably settings, if I can do
that).

The SECOND HD is the secondary master.  This will have one 30 Gb NTFS
partition, and will be used primarily for audio files, and will not be
partitioned.  It is important that this drive is fast enough to read and
write audio files with very little latency.  The CD-ROM is the secondary
slave.

I have heard that having the CD-ROM as a slave to a HD SLIGHTLY slows down
that HD.  I heard that there is a minimal difference.  But if I am wanting
to do real time audio - is it better that the CD-ROM is the PRIMARY slave?
Would this noticeably slow down the first HD?

Or is there a better configuration anyone could suggest e.g. having the 2nd
HD as a slave to the first HD?

Also, I chose to go for basic disks, not dynamic, so I could read it all
from the Win 98 SE machine.  Is it worth going for dynamic on some or all of
the disks?

2.
I have installed Win 2000 twice now - it installed fine for both times but I
was 'playing' about with Disk Management (not a good idea when you're me - I
know that now!) and the PC wouldn't reboot.  So I installed it again, but
now I've manged to mess it up again, with keyboard drivers (what am I
like?).  I'm going to install it again, but I'd like a bit of advice, if
that's OK.

When I was messing about with Disk Management, I created some 8 Mb
partitions (stupid thing to do).  I deleted them when I reinstalled Win
2000 - I deleted all the partitions, then recreated the partitions I wanted
(the ones above - two 15 Gbs on HD 1; one 30 Gb on HD 2) and installed Win
2000.  But when I was creating the partitions, it insisted of leaving 8 Mb
unpartitioned space on each drive - partitons could be no bigger.  Is that
normal?  Or is it to do with what I did before?

I am thinking of booting on a Win 98 SE Startup disk (with ONLY the system
files, and FDisk on it - not all the other files put on a 'startup' disk),
then deleting all the NTFS partitons from there.  Then I would reinstall Win
2000.  Is it wise to delete NTFS partitons from Fdisk (is this Win 98 SE
version suitable)?

Or would it just be good enough to delete and recreate all the partitions
from the Win 2000 setup?

Thanks for listening - my apologies if it was a bit long,

Michael Wolfindale

2. Save File not Open File

3. How set Watch Flag set on Sent Email ?

4. The "Programs" folder pops up directly after startup.

5. LEARNING SET-UPS FOR DOCUMENTS ETC.

6. CD writing problems in XP -Pro

7. Q:Clearing up my desktop, set-ups won't move just make shortcuts HELP??

8. removing timer on video

9. How do I set my pocket pc to send/receive email via hotmail?

10. Setting the primary interface.

11. DMA setting on secondary IDE device

12. 2 monitors - set primary monitor

13. Setting Primary Network Connection