Error Message on startup

Post by knut » Sun, 06 Mar 2005 01:35:27

All of a sudden I started getting the following error message:

Object moved

Configuration:
   Account: Hotmail
   Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
   User name: <my email address>
   Protocol: HTTPMail
   Port: 0
   Secure (SSL): 0
   Code: 80004005

When startig up OE I get a slightly different error message - all the
elements are in place, but in a different configuration:

Du kan ikke registrere deg for nye meldinger p? HTTP-serveren.  Konto:
'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp',
Protokoll: HTTPMail, Svar fra server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Sikker (SSL):
Nei, Feilkode: 0x80004005

You cannot register for new messages on the HTTP server. Account: "Hotmail",
Server: "'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp'", Protocol:
HTTPmail, Reply from server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Seure (SSL): No, Error
code: 0x80004005

Since the original error messages are in Norwegian, I leave the second error
message intact in its original Norwegian form, in addition to my translated
version. I tried deleting the account and setting it up again and I tried
deleting the account settings in Registry, but with no other results than me
having to reenter my account data (kind of expected...)

/knutt/

Error Message on startup

Post by PA Bea » Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:57:37

Have you ever been able to access the Hotmail account in Outlook Express,
Knutt?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> All of a sudden I started getting the following error message:

> Object moved

> Configuration:
>   Account: Hotmail
>   Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
>   User name: <my email address>
>   Protocol: HTTPMail
>   Port: 0
>   Secure (SSL): 0
>   Code: 80004005

> When startig up OE I get a slightly different error message - all the
> elements are in place, but in a different configuration:

> Du kan ikke registrere deg for nye meldinger p? HTTP-serveren.  Konto:
> 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp',
> Protokoll: HTTPMail, Svar fra server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Sikker
> (SSL): Nei, Feilkode: 0x80004005

> You cannot register for new messages on the HTTP server. Account:
> "Hotmail", Server: "'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp'",
> Protocol: HTTPmail, Reply from server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Seure
> (SSL): No, Error code: 0x80004005

> Since the original error messages are in Norwegian, I leave the second
> error message intact in its original Norwegian form, in addition to my
> translated version. I tried deleting the account and setting it up again
> and I tried deleting the account settings in Registry, but with no other
> results than me having to reenter my account data (kind of expected...)

> /knutt/

Error Message on startup

Post by knut » Sun, 06 Mar 2005 07:46:01

Yep. It started failing a couple of weeks ago Before that it worked
flawlessly.

/Knut Torgersen/

> Have you ever been able to access the Hotmail account in Outlook Express,
> Knutt?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

>> All of a sudden I started getting the following error message:

>> Object moved

>> Configuration:
>>   Account: Hotmail
>>   Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
>>   User name: <my email address>
>>   Protocol: HTTPMail
>>   Port: 0
>>   Secure (SSL): 0
>>   Code: 80004005

>> When startig up OE I get a slightly different error message - all the
>> elements are in place, but in a different configuration:

>> Du kan ikke registrere deg for nye meldinger p? HTTP-serveren.  Konto:
>> 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp',
>> Protokoll: HTTPMail, Svar fra server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Sikker
>> (SSL): Nei, Feilkode: 0x80004005

>> You cannot register for new messages on the HTTP server. Account:
>> "Hotmail", Server: "'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp'",
>> Protocol: HTTPmail, Reply from server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Seure
>> (SSL): No, Error code: 0x80004005

>> Since the original error messages are in Norwegian, I leave the second
>> error message intact in its original Norwegian form, in addition to my
>> translated version. I tried deleting the account and setting it up again
>> and I tried deleting the account settings in Registry, but with no other
>> results than me having to reenter my account data (kind of expected...)

>> /knutt/

Error Message on startup

Post by PA Bea » Sun, 06 Mar 2005 09:26:18

95% of the time this error indicates problems on MSN/Hotmail's end (and
they've been having a lot of problems lately) but here are some things to
check/try:

Make certain your time, date, and /time zone/ settings are correct.

IE Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites> type in

    hotmail.com

and Allow All Cookies.

How to Manage Cookies (IE6)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283185

Troubleshooting Secure Sites in WinXP SP2
(Hotmail and .NET Passport should be treated as Secure Sites)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

Temporarily disable your firewall, any "system" tools (NSW, NIS, anything by
Norton or McAfee including anti-virus) and pop-up/ad blockers to see if
they're interfering.

How do you connect?  Is the machine on a network?  Related URLs (MTU
values):

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250663
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315008

IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>HTTP 1.1>toggle on/off; "Use HTTP 1.1
through proxy connections" must *not* be checked.

IE Tools>Internet Options>Security>[zone in OE runs; should be Restricted
Sites]>Custom Level>User Authentication>Logon>toggle between the setting
choices here. ('Prompt for Username and Password' and 'Automatic...current
Username...' works for me.)

Resetting either or both of the above Tabs to the defaults might help, too.

If you're running a version of MSN Messenger earlier than v6.2.0205, upgrade
to this latest version.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> Yep. It started failing a couple of weeks ago Before that it worked
> flawlessly.

> /Knut Torgersen/

> > Have you ever been able to access the Hotmail account in Outlook
> > Express, Knutt?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> > > All of a sudden I started getting the following error message:

> > > Object moved

> > > Configuration:
> > >   Account: Hotmail
> > >   Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
> > >   User name: <my email address>
> > >   Protocol: HTTPMail
> > >   Port: 0
> > >   Secure (SSL): 0
> > >   Code: 80004005

> > > When startig up OE I get a slightly different error message - all the
> > > elements are in place, but in a different configuration:

> > > Du kan ikke registrere deg for nye meldinger p? HTTP-serveren.  Konto:
> > > 'Hotmail', Server:
> > > 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protokoll:
> > > HTTPMail, Svar fra server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Sikker (SSL):
> > > Nei, Feilkode: 0x80004005 You cannot register for new messages on the
> > > HTTP server. Account:
> > > "Hotmail", Server:
> > > "'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp'", Protocol:
> > > HTTPmail, Reply from server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Seure (SSL):
> > > No, Error code: 0x80004005 Since the original error messages are in
> > > Norwegian, I leave the second
> > > error message intact in its original Norwegian form, in addition to my
> > > translated version. I tried deleting the account and setting it up
> > > again and I tried deleting the account settings in Registry, but with
> > > no other results than me having to reenter my account data (kind of
> > > expected...) /knutt/

Error Message on startup

Post by knut » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 03:30:57

Hi, there and thank you for a thorough reply.

I have now been through your entire list of suggestions and still nothing. I
have two confessions to make - no, three.

1. I I'm an IT professionall doing support on a range of MS products, MS
Office mainly, so Item #2 om my list should have been "revealed" to you, but
I honestly forgot.

2. I discovered the malfunction after doing a cleanup of my computer,
including removing duplicate entries in my list of installed
programs/applications/you name it. Unfortunately, I did not make a note of
what I removed. I do, however, remember "insulting" the .NET installation on
my PC here. So to make sure my .NET Framework is up and running as it should
be, I have today deinstalled all components and let Windows Update put the
items back again. Still nothing. I also know I installed the new Beta MS
AntiSpyware and a new version of MSN Messenger 7.0 Beta. Removed that too
and installed 6.2. Still the same problem.

3. I have done an extensive search on the 'net for the error message, but
not been very successful in finding even the error message mentioned.

One thing in your series of articles I did NOT do was deleting my profile,
since I have quite a few applictions to migrate to a new account if it comes
to that. OE did, however, work under a new TEST account I created. I suspect
there is a pesky, little registry setting somewhere that I am not aware of
that may be wrong. Since the error "Object moved" has no meaning I am a bit
lost on that one - especially since there isn't much mention on this
particular problem anywhere.

But since OE has a reputation of being a product that all of a sudden stops
working I really want to get to the bottom of this. This is not the first
time it does so, neither for me or for colleagues. The solution so far has
always been to "give up".
--

Knut Torgersen
I am not sure this floor is entirely stable.

> 95% of the time this error indicates problems on MSN/Hotmail's end (and
> they've been having a lot of problems lately) but here are some things to
> check/try:

> Make certain your time, date, and /time zone/ settings are correct.

> IE Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites> type in

>    hotmail.com

> and Allow All Cookies.

> How to Manage Cookies (IE6)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283185

> Troubleshooting Secure Sites in WinXP SP2
> (Hotmail and .NET Passport should be treated as Secure Sites)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

> Temporarily disable your firewall, any "system" tools (NSW, NIS, anything
> by Norton or McAfee including anti-virus) and pop-up/ad blockers to see if
> they're interfering.

> How do you connect?  Is the machine on a network?  Related URLs (MTU
> values):

>    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250663
>    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315008

> IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>HTTP 1.1>toggle on/off; "Use HTTP 1.1
> through proxy connections" must *not* be checked.

> IE Tools>Internet Options>Security>[zone in OE runs; should be Restricted
> Sites]>Custom Level>User Authentication>Logon>toggle between the setting
> choices here. ('Prompt for Username and Password' and 'Automatic...current
> Username...' works for me.)

> Resetting either or both of the above Tabs to the defaults might help,
> too.

> If you're running a version of MSN Messenger earlier than v6.2.0205,
> upgrade to this latest version.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

>> Yep. It started failing a couple of weeks ago Before that it worked
>> flawlessly.

>> /Knut Torgersen/

>> > Have you ever been able to access the Hotmail account in Outlook
>> > Express, Knutt?
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Error Message on startup

Post by PA Bea » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:21:52

Quote:> OE did, however, work under a new TEST account I created.

Your then-current Identity may have been damaged, especially if its the
default Main Identity.  Any number of things can cause such corruption but
email scanning by anti-virus applications is at the very top of the list.
--

Error Message on startup

Post by knut » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 05:33:10

Meaning I have to create a new profile?
--
> [...]

>> > values):

>> >    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250663
>> >    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315008

>> > IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>HTTP 1.1>toggle on/off; "Use HTTP
>> > 1.1
>> > through proxy connections" must *not* be checked.

>> > IE Tools>Internet Options>Security>[zone in OE runs; should be
>> > Restricted Sites]>Custom Level>User Authentication>Logon>toggle between
>> > the setting choices here. ('Prompt for Username and Password' and
>> > 'Automatic...current Username...' works for me.)

>> > Resetting either or both of the above Tabs to the defaults might help,
>> > too.

>> > If you're running a version of MSN Messenger earlier than v6.2.0205,
>> > upgrade to this latest version.
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Error Message on startup

Post by What's in a Name » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 14:02:58

Is your hotmail account new? Support for OE is fee based now except for
some older accounts.
-max
This message is virus free as far as I can tell

Error Message on startup

Post by knut » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:59:16

No, I created a new login profile. That worked. Now that I create a new
Identity (similar to the Outlook Profile, I guess) it returns the error
"Reply from server: 'Object moved'" So nice of it. Since I only use OE to
transfer my mails from Hotmail to Firefox(!) I do not really have any fancy
files to speak of. I am now going to send this reply and then try again -
this time erase everything on the disk. I have earlier tried erasing
"selected" Registry keys - namely the ones storing the account info.
--

"PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> skrev i melding

> It sounded like you'd done so already.

> Don't confuse an OE Identity
> (http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain) with a Windows Profile
> (AKA Log-on).

> Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
> Identity.  Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
> (File>Identities>Add new identity).  Assuming all is well, import messages
> from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
> Identities).

> To avoid such corruption in future:

> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.

> Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
> compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> knutt wrote:
>> Meaning I have to create a new profile?

>> "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> skrev i melding

>> > Your then-current Identity may have been damaged, especially if its the
>> > default Main Identity.  Any number of things can cause such corruption
>> > but email scanning by anti-virus applications is at the very top of the
>> > list. --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Error Message on startup

Post by knut » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 03:02:10

The account is old. I can read my mail if I log in to my own computer using
a different account. I cnnot read the same account if I try from my
day-to-day account.
--
Knut Torgersen
I am not sure this floor is entirely stable.
     -C-3P0

Quote:> Is your hotmail account new? Support for OE is fee based now except for

Post by PA Bea » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 03:34:16

> Since I only use OE to
> transfer my mails from Hotmail to Firefox...

Care to elaborate on that statement?

If your only account in OE is a Hotmail account:

Tools > Options > General > When starting, go directly to my Inbox (uncheck)

Tools > Options > General > Send and receive on startup (uncheck)

'Object moved' is an MSN-specific error that's been with us for ages:
http://snipurl.com/d8f4  The standard fix is to choose any IE
startpage/homepage other than www.msn.com or www.my.msn.com.
--

>> Since I only use OE to
>> transfer my mails from Hotmail to Firefox...

> Care to elaborate on that statement?

Certainly. I have mail coming in via Hotmail that I need to have on my
"normal" mail account and to get them over I use - err... USED - this
technique:

a) Start OE, transfer mail to OE via the Hotmail protocol.
b) Copy mail to Inbox in OE
c) Terminate OE
d) Start Firefox, run the Import Wiz and get my mail over

What worries me is still the fact that if I creat a brand new logon account
on my XP it works. If I delete my account info in OE/create a new
identity/try with a totally different account it does NOT work. I get
excactly the same error no matter what has been tried so far. I've also been
searching for the hex code 0x80004005 in the same context as Object moved,
but found excactly - nothing.

I tried all your new tips and it did not work. Unfortunatly. the English
"translated" error is still this:

"You cannot register for new messages on the HTTP server. Account:
"Hotmail",
Server: "'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp'", Protocol:
HTTPmail, Reply from server: 'Object moved', Port: 0, Secure (SSL): No,
Error
code: 0x80004005"

OR if I try syncing a different way:

> [...]

>>> (File>Identities>Add new identity).  Assuming all is well, import
>>> messages
>>> from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
>>> Identities).

>>> To avoid such corruption in future:

>>> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
>>> folders created for this purpose.

>>> Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

>>> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
>>> manual
>>> compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
>>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

>>> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
>>> corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

read more »

Error Message on startup

Post by knut » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:39:55

Do you know of a way to totally clean out OE (including Registry settings)
and then reinstall it so I hopefully get a clean installation? It is worth a
try...
--
Knut Torgersen
I am not sure this floor is entirely stable.
     -C-3P0

"PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> skrev i melding

>> Since I only use OE to
>> transfer my mails from Hotmail to Firefox...

> Care to elaborate on that statement?

> If your only account in OE is a Hotmail account:

> Tools > Options > General > When starting, go directly to my Inbox
> (uncheck)

> Tools > Options > General > Send and receive on startup (uncheck)

> 'Object moved' is an MSN-specific error that's been with us for ages:
> http://snipurl.com/d8f4  The standard fix is to choose any IE
> startpage/homepage other than www.msn.com or www.my.msn.com.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> knutt wrote:
>> No, I created a new login profile. That worked. Now that I create a new
>> Identity (similar to the Outlook Profile, I guess) it returns the error
>> "Reply from server: 'Object moved'" So nice of it. Since I only use OE to
>> transfer my mails from Hotmail to Firefox(!) I do not really have any
>> fancy
>> files to speak of. I am now going to send this reply and then try again -
>> this time erase everything on the disk. I have earlier tried erasing
>> "selected" Registry keys - namely the ones storing the account info.

>> "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> skrev i melding
>>> It sounded like you'd done so already.

>>> Don't confuse an OE Identity
>>> (http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain) with a Windows
>>> Profile
>>> (AKA Log-on).

>>> Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
>>> Identity.  Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
>>> (File>Identities>Add new identity).  Assuming all is well, import
>>> messages
>>> from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
>>> Identities).

>>> To avoid such corruption in future:

>>> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
>>> folders created for this purpose.

>>> Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

>>> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
>>> manual
>>> compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
>>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

>>> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
>>> corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Error Message on startup

Post by PA Bea » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:46:47

Can you confirm that you've done the following?...

> [...]

If, as is usual, the problem is not on MSN/Hotmail's end, I've posted all
fixes that I know of, including the above.
--

knutt wrote:
> [...]

>> http://snipurl.com/d8f4  The standard fix is to choose any IE
>> startpage/homepage other than www.msn.com or www.my.msn.com.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

>> knutt wrote:
>>> No, I created a new login profile. That worked. Now that I create a new
>>> Identity (similar to the Outlook Profile, I guess) it returns the error
>>> "Reply from server: 'Object moved'" So nice of it. Since I only use OE
>>> transfer my mails from Hotmail to Firefox(!) I do not really have any
>>> fancy
>>> files to speak of. I am now going to send this reply and then try
>>> again -
>>> this time erase everything on the disk. I have earlier tried erasing
>>> "selected" Registry keys - namely the ones storing the account info.

read more »

Error Message on startup

Post by PA Bea » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:49:56

Assuming WinXP SP2, reinstall SP2 per the SP2-specific instructions at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378.  I would not attempt to import
any saved OE data into the new identity after doing so and I would replace
the default Main Identity with a user-created Named Identity.  (Don't rename
the Main Identity, replace it and then delete it.)
--
knutt wrote:
> Do you know of a way to totally clean out OE (including Registry settings)
> and then reinstall it so I hopefully get a clean installation? It is worth
> try...

> "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> skrev i melding
>>> Since I only use OE to
>>> transfer my mails from Hotmail to Firefox...

>> Care to elaborate on that statement?

>> If your only account in OE is a Hotmail account:

>> Tools > Options > General > When starting, go directly to my Inbox
>> (uncheck)

>> Tools > Options > General > Send and receive on startup (uncheck)

>> 'Object moved' is an MSN-specific error that's been with us for ages:
>> http://snipurl.com/d8f4  The standard fix is to choose any IE
>> startpage/homepage other than www.msn.com or www.my.msn.com.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

>> knutt wrote:
>>> No, I created a new login profile. That worked. Now that I create a new
>>> Identity (similar to the Outlook Profile, I guess) it returns the error
>>> "Reply from server: 'Object moved'" So nice of it. Since I only use OE
>>> transfer my mails from Hotmail to Firefox(!) I do not really have any
>>> fancy
>>> files to speak of. I am now going to send this reply and then try
>>> again -
>>> this time erase everything on the disk. I have earlier tried erasing
>>> "selected" Registry keys - namely the ones storing the account info.

>>> "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> skrev i melding

read more »

1. Error message on start-up rundll32 has caused an error

Good day ...
When I boot up I get an error message that says..
"rundll32 has caused an error in kernel 32.dll rundll32
will now close "  I am running Win ME ver 4.90.0.3000 on
a Gateway computer.
When this happens the mouse does not operate, the icons
on the screen seem enlarged and the system is frozen...
I am able to boot up in "safe mode" but when I do that
the 2 cd drives are not recognized and only the 3 1/2
floppy drive works so I cannot reinstall Windows ... Also
I have a "start-up" disk but when I reboot with that in
the 3 1/2 drive nothing changes...I also have an
emergency boot disk that I made from Norton but that
won't work either ???? I have an identical computer with
the same version and have tried to copy the rundll32 and
kernel32.dll files . It allowed me to copy in the
rundll32 but said I can't copy the kernel32.dll file
because windows is using it ....I'm stuck and would
appreciate any advice   Thanks in advance  Wade

2. XP restore CD

3. Startup error message

4. When demoting PDC when does it start updating its sam ?

5. error message at startup

6. IE slow to open

7. error message work offline

8. Instant error message upon IE6 startup

9. error message on startup

10. WindowsXP startup error message:system halted-drive not ready

11. error message on start-up