Outlook Express doesn't run properly

Post by Larry Donnell » Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:49:53

As of yesterday when I tried to open Outlook Express, the
program goes into receiving mail mode and locks up,
nothing gets downloaded and I can't send mail out.  The
send/receive button doesn't open another window and get
no error messages. I have gone to my webmail site, took
off what I thought was offending email and nothing.
Downloaded lastest version of IE 6 and nothing.   I'm at
a loss.

Outlook Express doesn't run properly

Post by Steve R Jones - MV » Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:48:48

Are you using Norton Anti Virus checker? I have the same
problem from time to time. I turn off the email scan and
the mail comes in. Can back and turn on the scanner and
all works well.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>As of yesterday when I tried to open Outlook Express,
the
>program goes into receiving mail mode and locks up,
>nothing gets downloaded and I can't send mail out.  The
>send/receive button doesn't open another window and get
>no error messages. I have gone to my webmail site, took
>off what I thought was offending email and nothing.
>Downloaded lastest version of IE 6 and nothing.   I'm at
>a loss.
>.

Outlook Express doesn't run properly

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/O » Fri, 16 Apr 2004 03:56:35

Quote:> As of yesterday when I tried to open Outlook Express, the
> program goes into receiving mail mode and locks up,
> nothing gets downloaded and I can't send mail out.  The
> send/receive button doesn't open another window and get
> no error messages. I have gone to my webmail site, took
> off what I thought was offending email and nothing.
> Downloaded lastest version of IE 6 and nothing.   I'm at
> a loss.

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus.  It provides no added
protection.
Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
times out.  Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
attachments, which exasperates the problem.
Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off.  Norton invented email
scanning and here's what they say:
From
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/df0a595864594c86852567ac...

"Disabling email protection does not leave you vulnerable to viruses and
malicious software in email. It is a separate layer of protection in
addition to Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect scans any incoming files, including
email, as they are saved to your hard drive. As long as you keep your virus
definitions up to date with LiveUpdate, and keep Auto-Protect enabled and
set to scan files as they are created or downloaded, your system is fully
protected."

See also
http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.shtml
and
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/1999092910223606?...
and
http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000020716064206&s...
So Symantec used to say this often and clearly.  The newer stuff doesn't
have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment.  If you
know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email

1. SetupCopyOEMInf doesn't work properly if running as a service

Hi,

When I call SetupCopyOEMInf in my application, that is running as a service
under the localsystem account, I get the following error in the
setupapi.log:

#E359 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\SHOUT\spm.inf" blocked
(server install). Error 0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain
digital signature information.

This is on Windows XP Embedded SP1. My driver signing policy is set to
ignore.

My driver is not signed, so I thought that was the cause, but if I grant the
service the "Interact with the desktop" option, then I don't get any error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Terry.

2. jupiter jones help please

3. outlook express - messages don't open properly

4. Granting the registry access on commandline

5. Outlook Express won't 'see' the contacts in Outlook

6. JPG

7. Attachments doesn't open for outlook express

8. how to scedule full turnoff in winxp?

9. Outlook express doesn't connect

10. Outlook Express doesn't show some attachments

11. Hotmail doesn't work with Outlook Express anymore.

12. Outlook Express "new mail notification" sound doesn't work in WinXP

13. Outlook express doesn't recognise my .dbx files!