IE Repair?

Post by Midway6 » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:38:45

Is there a way to repair IE6 in XP?  The only choice I am given is to remove
desktop access in Add/Remove Windows Componets.  I have been noticing some
images not showing up on webpages (more than usual) and I was looking for a
way to fix it.

Thanks,
Mitch

IE Repair?

Post by Henri Leboeu » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:17:40

Did you try to reduce the number of files in your Temporary Internet Files
(Folder)?

--

Henri Leboeuf

Quote:> Is there a way to repair IE6 in XP?  The only choice I am given is to
remove
> desktop access in Add/Remove Windows Componets.  I have been noticing some
> images not showing up on webpages (more than usual) and I was looking for
> way to fix it.

> Thanks,
> Mitch

IE Repair?

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:09:19

That is usually a sign of one of two things:

1) the web site is abnormally terminating the connection to download the
image
2) you are using an ad-killer that stops files from loading from
particular domain names. This is often accomplished with entries in the
hosts file, which are sometimes left behind when you uninstall the
ad-killer software.

I recall Mark Ferguson has a command line to repair IE6 which you could
find on groups.google.com, but save that for another time.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

Quote:> Is there a way to repair IE6 in XP?  The only choice I am given is to
remove
> desktop access in Add/Remove Windows Componets.  I have been noticing
some
> images not showing up on webpages (more than usual) and I was looking
for a
> way to fix it.

IE Repair?

Post by Midway6 » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:36:37

Kent, if you are referring to this command line:

"rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
C:\windows\inf\ie.inf"

I tried that and it didn't work.  After comparing MSN's website from work
and home, it seems that for some reason my IE6 doesn't want to show GIF's.
I went into file association and registered GIF's to IE6 but that didn't
work either.  That's where where I am at now.

I did also try the sfc /scannow but no luck with it either.

I am looking around to see if someone's found a way to uninstall IE6 from XP
and went back to 5.5 but nothing looks promising yet.  I don't know why
Microsoft included this "weak" browser with their "Ultimate OS" and have no
way to change it.

Henri, I have my settings to where it deletes the temporary files when I
close the browser.

I saw an interesting article today and this sums everything up:

"Microsoft Corp. today announced a month-long moratorium on new coding as
part of its Trustworthy Computing Initiative, said Richard Purcell, head of
the companys corporate privacy office. We are not coding new code as of
today for the next month, Purcell said at a privacy and data security
summit in Washington that was sponsored by the Privacy Officers Association.

Instead, the company is going to go over its old code as a first step in
cleaning out bugs. Purcell likened it to a 20-year spring cleaning. Its
time to get the garage cleaned out, he said.

Describing the state of computing today as unstable and unreliable, he said
Microsoft chairman Bill Gates is really annoyed by the incredible pain we
put everyone through in computing.

(from http://gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/17874-1.html)

Thanks,

Mitch

IE Repair?

Post by Rich Rain » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:34:34

Would it be possible to reinstall XP and hope to overwrite IE6.0

Rich Raine

Quote:> Kent, if you are referring to this command line:

> "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
> C:\windows\inf\ie.inf"

> I tried that and it didn't work.  After comparing MSN's website from work
> and home, it seems that for some reason my IE6 doesn't want to show GIF's.
> I went into file association and registered GIF's to IE6 but that didn't
> work either.  That's where where I am at now.

> I did also try the sfc /scannow but no luck with it either.

> I am looking around to see if someone's found a way to uninstall IE6 from
XP
> and went back to 5.5 but nothing looks promising yet.  I don't know why
> Microsoft included this "weak" browser with their "Ultimate OS" and have
no
> way to change it.

> Henri, I have my settings to where it deletes the temporary files when I
> close the browser.

> I saw an interesting article today and this sums everything up:

> "Microsoft Corp. today announced a month-long moratorium on new coding as
> part of its Trustworthy Computing Initiative, said Richard Purcell, head
of
> the companys corporate privacy office. We are not coding new code as of
> today for the next month, Purcell said at a privacy and data security
> summit in Washington that was sponsored by the Privacy Officers
Association.

> Instead, the company is going to go over its old code as a first step in
> cleaning out bugs. Purcell likened it to a 20-year spring cleaning. Its
> time to get the garage cleaned out, he said.

> Describing the state of computing today as unstable and unreliable, he
said
> Microsoft chairman Bill Gates is really annoyed by the incredible pain we
> put everyone through in computing.

> (from http://gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/17874-1.html)

> Thanks,

> Mitch

1. IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Noel, I did the repair from "add remove.." (three times, alternately after
reboots, download, etc.), no help re-downloaded IE6 with nothing running
except "Explorer" and "Systray" and still when I click "Favorites" I get the
"BROWSEUI.DLL error".
Anyone have another suggestion?  Regards, JimJ

2. Most recent files

3. IE repair...gone in xp??

4. Administrator or User on the XP-machine

5. IE Repair Tool bug?

6. TDM - new version (2.3) !

7. IE Repair Tool-replaced scrrun.dll

8. format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

9. IE Repair

10. IE Repair Tool??

11. IE repair

12. what is IE REPAIR?