Import/Export Message

Post by Pierce-Rya » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:31:21

How do I move selected messages from my laptop to my desktop, with both
running OE6? If I try to Import and point the program to the OE data file on
the other computer, I get an error message that there are either no messages
in the folder (not true) or folder is in use by another program (even if I
shut down OE on the 'sending' machine). Thanks in advance for any help.
Ted

Import/Export Message

Post by Steve Cochra » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:13:54

You can use the method in the last paragraph on this page to swap dbx files
back and forth between systems:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

Alternatively you can get my new program, OEX (www.oehelp.com/OEX/), which
lets you point to a dbx file on another machine and directly import from it
into your current OE message store with just a couple of mouse clicks.  Its
great for synchronizing befween computers.

cheers,

steve

Quote:> How do I move selected messages from my laptop to my desktop, with both
> running OE6? If I try to Import and point the program to the OE data file
> on the other computer, I get an error message that there are either no
> messages in the folder (not true) or folder is in use by another program
> (even if I shut down OE on the 'sending' machine). Thanks in advance for
> any help.
> Ted

Import/Export Message

Post by microsoft_suppor » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:35:07

Regarding solicitation":
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc

> You can use the method in the last paragraph on this page to swap dbx
> files back and forth between systems:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

> Alternatively you can get my new program, OEX (www.oehelp.com/OEX/), which
> lets you point to a dbx file on another machine and directly import from
> it into your current OE message store with just a couple of mouse clicks.
> Its great for synchronizing befween computers.

> cheers,

> steve

>> How do I move selected messages from my laptop to my desktop, with both
>> running OE6? If I try to Import and point the program to the OE data file
>> on the other computer, I get an error message that there are either no
>> messages in the folder (not true) or folder is in use by another program
>> (even if I shut down OE on the 'sending' machine). Thanks in advance for
>> any help.
>> Ted

Import/Export Message

Post by meowmo » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:57:50

Thank you for posting that,  it's such a great group here - so helpful, I
learend a few things also.

> Regarding solicitation":
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc

>> You can use the method in the last paragraph on this page to swap dbx
>> files back and forth between systems:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

>> Alternatively you can get my new program, OEX (www.oehelp.com/OEX/),
>> which lets you point to a dbx file on another machine and directly import
>> from it into your current OE message store with just a couple of mouse
>> clicks. Its great for synchronizing befween computers.

>> cheers,

>> steve

>>> How do I move selected messages from my laptop to my desktop, with both
>>> running OE6? If I try to Import and point the program to the OE data
>>> file on the other computer, I get an error message that there are either
>>> no messages in the folder (not true) or folder is in use by another
>>> program (even if I shut down OE on the 'sending' machine). Thanks in
>>> advance for any help.
>>> Ted

Import/Export Message

Post by Jim Pickerin » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:04:14

Microsoft support, huh?  Bull puppy.

Maybe you need to re-read the pertinent parts in your hyperlink:

"These communities were created as a forum for providing peer-to-peer
assistance related to using Microsoft products and services. We ask that you
refrain from posting unsolicited adverti*ts that do not pertain directly
to the intended use and purpose of the newsgroup or chat."

In this case, the info about the program pertains directly to the poster's
problem and the utilities provided by Dr. Cochran are even mentioned in
Microsoft's Knowledge Base articles as the only solution to similar problems
since Microsoft has been aware of the problem for several years and has done
nothing to fix it, leaving the field open to 3rd party developers who wish
to help.

You might wish to become aware of what the term "support" in newsgroups is
really all about, since it's apparent that you do not have a clue yet.  Good
day and come on back when you gain some awareness of who the "helpers"
really are.  Sadly sir, you are not one of them.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express

In memoriam, Alex Nichol, MVP (1935-2005)
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Regarding solicitation":
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> You can use the method in the last paragraph on this page to swap dbx
>> files back and forth between systems:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

>> Alternatively you can get my new program, OEX (www.oehelp.com/OEX/),
>> which lets you point to a dbx file on another machine and directly import
>> from it into your current OE message store with just a couple of mouse
>> clicks. Its great for synchronizing befween computers.

>> cheers,

>> steve

>>> How do I move selected messages from my laptop to my desktop, with both
>>> running OE6? If I try to Import and point the program to the OE data
>>> file on the other computer, I get an error message that there are either
>>> no messages in the folder (not true) or folder is in use by another
>>> program (even if I shut down OE on the 'sending' machine). Thanks in
>>> advance for any help.
>>> Ted

Import/Export Message

Post by Steve Cochra » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:23:03

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

Look at my response.  The first thing I suggested was the method that's been
around for 7 years to perform what the user requests.  The second thing I
suggested was my program that will do this much easier.

"We ask that you refrain from posting unsolicited adverti*ts that do not
pertain directly to the intended use and purpose of the newsgroup or chat."

My response pertained directly to the request by the user.

Also see this on that page:

"Microsoft MVPs: Microsoft MVPs (Most Valuable Professionals) are the most
active experts in technical communities recognized by Microsoft for their
past quality participation, demonstrated practical expertise and passion for
technology. While Microsoft MVPs come from a wide range of backgrounds and
professions, all share a willingness to give their time, expertise, and
advice to enhance the technical skills of others. For more information on
the MVP program and how you can become an MVP, see
http://www.veryComputer.com/;

I'm not in this just to sell my programs.

steve

> Regarding solicitation":
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > You can use the method in the last paragraph on this page to swap dbx
> > files back and forth between systems:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

> > Alternatively you can get my new program, OEX (www.oehelp.com/OEX/),
which
> > lets you point to a dbx file on another machine and directly import from
> > it into your current OE message store with just a couple of mouse
clicks.
> > Its great for synchronizing befween computers.

> > cheers,

> > steve

> >> How do I move selected messages from my laptop to my desktop, with both
> >> running OE6? If I try to Import and point the program to the OE data
file
> >> on the other computer, I get an error message that there are either no
> >> messages in the folder (not true) or folder is in use by another
program
> >> (even if I shut down OE on the 'sending' machine). Thanks in advance
for
> >> any help.
> >> Ted

Import/Export Message

Post by Steve Cochra » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:23:51

Microsoft support is using Yahoo for email now?  <VBG>

steve

> Microsoft support, huh?  Bull puppy.

> Maybe you need to re-read the pertinent parts in your hyperlink:

> "These communities were created as a forum for providing peer-to-peer
> assistance related to using Microsoft products and services. We ask that
you
> refrain from posting unsolicited adverti*ts that do not pertain
directly
> to the intended use and purpose of the newsgroup or chat."

> In this case, the info about the program pertains directly to the poster's
> problem and the utilities provided by Dr. Cochran are even mentioned in
> Microsoft's Knowledge Base articles as the only solution to similar
problems
> since Microsoft has been aware of the problem for several years and has
done
> nothing to fix it, leaving the field open to 3rd party developers who wish
> to help.

> You might wish to become aware of what the term "support" in newsgroups is
> really all about, since it's apparent that you do not have a clue yet.
Good
> day and come on back when you gain some awareness of who the "helpers"
> really are.  Sadly sir, you are not one of them.
> --
> Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express

> In memoriam, Alex Nichol, MVP (1935-2005)
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > Regarding solicitation":
> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

> >> You can use the method in the last paragraph on this page to swap dbx
> >> files back and forth between systems:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

> >> Alternatively you can get my new program, OEX (www.oehelp.com/OEX/),
> >> which lets you point to a dbx file on another machine and directly
import
> >> from it into your current OE message store with just a couple of mouse
> >> clicks. Its great for synchronizing befween computers.

> >> cheers,

> >> steve

Import/Export Message

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/O » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:52:23

Quote:> Regarding solicitation":
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc

1.  You are NOT Microsoft support.
2.  You didn't even read the article you supply a link to.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email

1. Importing / exporting messages.

Greetings

I've reinstalled my system but backed up my email messages beforehand by
copying the the .dbx files and the rest that was in that folder.

I did ths successfully before but I can't remember how I did it. I know it's
not as simple as pasting them back in the new folder because outlook express
will just duplicate the files by renaming them with a (1) in the titles.
What are the steps needed to do this?

ALSO since setting up my new outlook express I have since downloaded new
messages so if I replace the new .dbx files with the old ones I'll just lose
the new messages won't I?. So how can I export them and then import the back
in AFTER I've imported the old ones so I have the old and new messages
together?  I hope this makes sense!

Thanks for your attention and any help or advice you can give me.

David

2. Date as String (newbie question)

3. help Can't import/export messages - MAPI error

4. WIN XP POS

5. IMPORT/EXPORT MESSAGE RULES?

6. login screen firewall protection???

7. Exporting and Importing Messages

8. need hellp w win 98 display drivers

9. Export/Import Messages from Outlook Express

10. Reformatting, export/importing messages

11. Exporting and Importing Newsgroup messages

12. Exporting and Importing Message rules

13. Help--Can't import or Export Messages