Can't send mail using port 25 from one PC

Can't send mail using port 25 from one PC

Post by WhoTurnedOffTheLight » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:58:43

Hello, I've got this problem sending mail which only began today and is
definitely a local issue on my laptop.
How'd I know? Because"

-- I'm able to send using my main Desktop and
-- 'and I'd installed the newest version of Norton Antivirus over a week ago
on this machine only. (quite possibly the cause of my problems??)

Anyhow, I've tried disabling Norton and Webroot SpySweeper and nothing.
funny though how this problem only began today.

Below is the error message I get.

"""An unknown error has occurred..............................Protocol:
SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B"""

Can't send mail using port 25 from one PC

Post by PA Bea » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:34:39

Please post the complete error message.

How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and
receive e-mail...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Your current Identity may have been corrupted by 'Norton' (AntiVirus?),
especially if its the default Main Identity.  Try one or more of your
accounts in a new Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity).
Assuming all is well, import messages from the old Identity before deleting
it (File>Identities>Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> Hello, I've got this problem sending mail which only began today and is
> definitely a local issue on my laptop.
> How'd I know? Because"

> -- I'm able to send using my main Desktop and
> -- 'and I'd installed the newest version of Norton Antivirus over a week
> ago on this machine only. (quite possibly the cause of my problems??)

> Anyhow, I've tried disabling Norton and Webroot SpySweeper and nothing.
> funny though how this problem only began today.

> Below is the error message I get.

> """An unknown error has occurred..............................Protocol:
> SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B"""

Can't send mail using port 25 from one PC

Post by WhoTurnedOffTheLight » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:48:24

AHA!

Thanks PA Bear. Yah, after setting up a new identity, with my other
accounts, I was able to return to sending mail. Will follow in haste your
suggestions.

> Please post the complete error message.

> How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and
> receive e-mail...
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

> Your current Identity may have been corrupted by 'Norton' (AntiVirus?),
> especially if its the default Main Identity.  Try one or more of your
> accounts in a new Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity).
> Assuming all is well, import messages from the old Identity before
> deleting it (File>Identities>Manage Identities).

> To avoid such corruption in future:

> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.

> Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
> compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

>> Hello, I've got this problem sending mail which only began today and is
>> definitely a local issue on my laptop.
>> How'd I know? Because"

>> -- I'm able to send using my main Desktop and
>> -- 'and I'd installed the newest version of Norton Antivirus over a week
>> ago on this machine only. (quite possibly the cause of my problems??)

>> Anyhow, I've tried disabling Norton and Webroot SpySweeper and nothing.
>> funny though how this problem only began today.

>> Below is the error message I get.

>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

>> """An unknown error has occurred..............................Protocol:
>> SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B"""

Can't send mail using port 25 from one PC

Post by PA Bea » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:51:46

YW & thanks for posting back.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> AHA!

> Thanks PA Bear. Yah, after setting up a new identity, with my other
> accounts, I was able to return to sending mail. Will follow in haste your
> suggestions.

> > Please post the complete error message.

> > How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and
> > receive e-mail...

> > Your current Identity may have been corrupted by 'Norton' (AntiVirus?),
> > especially if its the default Main Identity.  Try one or more of your
> > accounts in a new Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity).
> > Assuming all is well, import messages from the old Identity before
> > deleting it (File>Identities>Manage Identities).

> > To avoid such corruption in future:

> > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
> > folders created for this purpose.

> > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

> > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
> > manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
> > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

> > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> > corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> > > Hello, I've got this problem sending mail which only began today and
> > > is definitely a local issue on my laptop.
> > > How'd I know? Because"

> > > -- I'm able to send using my main Desktop and
> > > -- 'and I'd installed the newest version of Norton Antivirus over a
> > > week ago on this machine only. (quite possibly the cause of my
> > > problems??) Anyhow, I've tried disabling Norton and Webroot SpySweeper
> > > and
> > > nothing. funny though how this problem only began today.

> > > Below is the error message I get.

> > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> > > """An unknown error has
> > > occurred..............................Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> > > Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B"""

Can't send mail using port 25 from one PC

Post by WhoTurnedOffTheLight » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:31:13

BTW,

I can't help but blame Norton for a host of many other problems I've had in
the past week. All sorts of anomolies are taking place even with Internet
Explorer on my end. ;-((

I regret ever upgrading to their newer product.....should've just purchased
another yearly subscription for my older one.

> YW & thanks for posting back.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

>> AHA!

>> Thanks PA Bear. Yah, after setting up a new identity, with my other
>> accounts, I was able to return to sending mail. Will follow in haste your
>> suggestions.

>> > Please post the complete error message.

>> > How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send
>> > and
>> > receive e-mail...
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

>> > Your current Identity may have been corrupted by 'Norton' (AntiVirus?),
>> > especially if its the default Main Identity.  Try one or more of your
>> > accounts in a new Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity).
>> > Assuming all is well, import messages from the old Identity before
>> > deleting it (File>Identities>Manage Identities).

>> > To avoid such corruption in future:

>> > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
>> > folders created for this purpose.

>> > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

>> > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
>> > manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
>> > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

>> > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
>> > such
>> > corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Can't send mail using port 25 from one PC

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/O » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 06:04:04

Quote:> BTW,

> I can't help but blame Norton for a host of many other problems I've had
> in
> the past week. All sorts of anomolies are taking place even with Internet
> Explorer on my end. ;-((

> I regret ever upgrading to their newer product.....should've just
> purchased
> another yearly subscription for my older one.

No, you should have uninstalled Norton and installed something decent (not
McAfee, which is worse for OE).

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email