Retrieving - Deleted Identiy

Post by Chri » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:31:21

I accidentaly deleted one of the identities in OE6.  I can see all the files
are still there, under:

c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application
data\identities\{xxxxxxxx-48dc-42af
-8f45-2f48c0fexxxx}\microsoft\outlook express]

Is there any way I can restore the identity?  I know I can create a new
account and import the email messages from the *.dbx files, but I want to
restore the accounts in that profile, the pointeers to all the newsgroups I
was following, etc.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
C.

Retrieving - Deleted Identiy

Post by DGues » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:08:31

Quote:>I accidentaly deleted one of the identities in OE6.  I can see all the
>files are still there, under:

> c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application
> data\identities\{xxxxxxxx-48dc-42af
> -8f45-2f48c0fexxxx}\microsoft\outlook express]

> Is there any way I can restore the identity?  I know I can create a new
> account and import the email messages from the *.dbx files, but I want to
> restore the accounts in that profile, the pointeers to all the newsgroups
> I was following, etc.

> Is that possible?

> Thanks,
> C.

Create a new Identity.
Set it up as before.
File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 | Import mail from an
OE6 store directory.
Browse to the folder you found the old message storese (dbx files), select
it, then finish up the import.

Post by Chri » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:33:23

>>I accidentaly deleted one of the identities in OE6.  I can see all the
>>files are still there, under:

>> c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application
>> data\identities\{xxxxxxxx-48dc-42af
>> -8f45-2f48c0fexxxx}\microsoft\outlook express]

>> Is there any way I can restore the identity?  I know I can create a new
>> account and import the email messages from the *.dbx files, but I want to
>> restore the accounts in that profile, the pointeers to all the newsgroups
>> I was following, etc.

>> Is that possible?

>> Thanks,
>> C.

> Create a new Identity.
> Set it up as before.
> File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 | Import mail from
> an OE6 store directory.
> Browse to the folder you found the old message storese (dbx files), select
> it, then finish up the import.

Thanks.  I already did that, and imported all the email messages.  But, as I
said in my previous message, I was looking efor some way to *restore* the
indetity so that I can restore all the accounts, newsgroup servers, etc.
The key is in what you said...

Quote:> Create a new Identity.
> Set it up as before.

Can't set it up as before without all the newservers' info, that I do not
have ahndy any longer.  That's why the desire to restore the identiy, if
possible.

C.

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP O » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:33:01

Quote:>I accidentaly deleted one of the identities in OE6.  I can see all the
>files are still there, under:

> c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application
> data\identities\{xxxxxxxx-48dc-42af
> -8f45-2f48c0fexxxx}\microsoft\outlook express]

> Is there any way I can restore the identity?  I know I can create a new
> account and import the email messages from the *.dbx files, but I want to
> restore the accounts in that profile, the pointeers to all the newsgroups
> I was following, etc.

> Is that possible?

Make a new identity and then use File | Import.  When you get to where it
wants to know what identity to import from, don't try to select an identity.
Choose the option on the bottom to import from an OE store directory and
click Browse.  Navigate to where the old DBX files are.  After making sure
the messages imported correctly you can delete the old DBX files.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

Post by Chri » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 03:18:49

>>I accidentaly deleted one of the identities in OE6.  I can see all the
>>files are still there, under:

>> c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application
>> data\identities\{xxxxxxxx-48dc-42af
>> -8f45-2f48c0fexxxx}\microsoft\outlook express]

>> Is there any way I can restore the identity?  I know I can create a new
>> account and import the email messages from the *.dbx files, but I want to
>> restore the accounts in that profile, the pointeers to all the newsgroups
>> I was following, etc.

>> Is that possible?

> Make a new identity and then use File | Import.  When you get to where it
> wants to know what identity to import from, don't try to select an
> identity. Choose the option on the bottom to import from an OE store
> directory and click Browse.  Navigate to where the old DBX files are.
> After making sure the messages imported correctly you can delete the old
> DBX files.

> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
> Reply in newsgroup
> "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
> deserve neither liberty or security"

Thanks, but I must be doing something wrong.  I can only import email
messages that way.  It could be because that's the only account I have set
up in the new Identity, but that's the basic problem.  I don't have all the
info necessary to set up all the accounts and then import to each account
(if that's what I need to do).  Is the accounts info stored somewhere, or
once the Identity is deleted, is the accounts info gone gorever?

Thanks,
C.

Post by DGues » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:32:13

>>>I accidentaly deleted one of the identities in OE6.  I can see all the
>>>files are still there, under:

>>> c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application
>>> data\identities\{xxxxxxxx-48dc-42af
>>> -8f45-2f48c0fexxxx}\microsoft\outlook express]

>>> Is there any way I can restore the identity?  I know I can create a new
>>> account and import the email messages from the *.dbx files, but I want
>>> to restore the accounts in that profile, the pointeers to all the
>>> newsgroups I was following, etc.

>>> Is that possible?

>>> Thanks,
>>> C.

>> Create a new Identity.
>> Set it up as before.
>> File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 | Import mail from
>> an OE6 store directory.
>> Browse to the folder you found the old message storese (dbx files),
>> select it, then finish up the import.

> Thanks.  I already did that, and imported all the email messages.  But, as
> I said in my previous message, I was looking efor some way to *restore*
> the indetity so that I can restore all the accounts, newsgroup servers,
> etc. The key is in what you said...

>> Create a new Identity.
>> Set it up as before.

> Can't set it up as before without all the newservers' info, that I do not
> have ahndy any longer.  That's why the desire to restore the identiy, if
> possible.

> C.

Restoring it as before is out because the info is stored in the Folders.dbx
file and you can't edit that file.  So it's not possible to do what you
want. Newsgroups are treated as temporary files thus that's why they aren't
imported in OE.