Sudden problem with the 'Sent Items' mail box in Outlook Express 6

Sudden problem with the 'Sent Items' mail box in Outlook Express 6

Post by cjf » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:47:13

Tools/options/send/tick top box

Quote:> Starting yesterday, when I send messages they no longer appear in my 'Sent

Post by Kath Adam » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:52:33

> Starting yesterday, when I send messages they no longer appear in my
> 'Sent Items' Box !!??  I have verified that they actually have been
> sent and received O.K. !
> Any and all assistence would be appreciated.- Thanks.
> Dave.

Your Sent Items folder is probably corrupt.
Tools>options>maintenance>store folder and note the location.
Close OE.
In Windows Explorer, navigate to the place noted and delete Sent
Items.dbx
Re-open OE and all should be well.

Note that you may have to enable "show hidden files and folders" under
control panel>folder options>view before you can find and delete the
folder, depending on your operating system.

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Sudden problem with the 'Sent Items' mail box in Outlook Express 6

Post by AtomicC91 » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:28:03

Thanks a BUNCH, Kath ! .. followed your suggestion .... then shut down;-
booted uo - opened O. Express and sent myself a message, and SURE ENOUGH,
there it was in my "Sent Items" mail box !! Thanks again ! - Dave. PS - I'm
assuming this solution holds true for other 'mail boxes' as well !

> > Starting yesterday, when I send messages they no longer appear in my
> > 'Sent Items' Box !!??  I have verified that they actually have been
> > sent and received O.K. !
> > Any and all assistence would be appreciated.- Thanks.
> > Dave.

> Your Sent Items folder is probably corrupt.
> Tools>options>maintenance>store folder and note the location.
> Close OE.
> In Windows Explorer, navigate to the place noted and delete Sent
> Items.dbx
> Re-open OE and all should be well.

> Note that you may have to enable "show hidden files and folders" under
> control panel>folder options>view before you can find and delete the
> folder, depending on your operating system.

> --
> Kath Adams
> MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Sudden problem with the 'Sent Items' mail box in Outlook Express 6

Post by Bruce Hage » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:47:02

Now that it's fixed, and to avoid problems in the future:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no
folders are open. Then: File>Work Offline (or double click Working Online in
the Status Bar). File>Folder>Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

In Tools>Options>Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

> Thanks a BUNCH, Kath ! .. followed your suggestion .... then shut down;-
> booted uo - opened O. Express and sent myself a message, and SURE ENOUGH,
> there it was in my "Sent Items" mail box !! Thanks again ! - Dave. PS -
> I'm
> assuming this solution holds true for other 'mail boxes' as well !

>> > Starting yesterday, when I send messages they no longer appear in my
>> > 'Sent Items' Box !!??  I have verified that they actually have been
>> > sent and received O.K. !
>> > Any and all assistence would be appreciated.- Thanks.
>> > Dave.

>> Your Sent Items folder is probably corrupt.
>> Tools>options>maintenance>store folder and note the location.
>> Close OE.
>> In Windows Explorer, navigate to the place noted and delete Sent
>> Items.dbx
>> Re-open OE and all should be well.

>> Note that you may have to enable "show hidden files and folders" under
>> control panel>folder options>view before you can find and delete the
>> folder, depending on your operating system.

>> --
>> Kath Adams
>> MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Sudden problem with the 'Sent Items' mail box in Outlook Express 6

Post by Kath Adam » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:11:31

You're welcome and thanks for posting back.
Yes, it works for all default folders of OE - Inbox, Sent, Outbox,
Deleted, etc.
(Not your private folders of course). OE will recreate new folders on
next opening. But as Bruce says, keep your OE lean and mean and all
should be well for a long time without any need to delete anything else.
Kath