Export/Import Messages from Outlook Express

Export/Import Messages from Outlook Express

Post by cayotema » Thu, 20 May 2004 00:07:00

Hi all, new to this forum.
Requirement
===========
I'm using Outlook Express on one W98/2 OE6 on one laptop
and I would like to port all my mail folders and messages
to a new laptop.
Problem Statement
=================
I've managed to import address book and all folders to the
new laptop running XP2 and OE6. However the folders are
empty i.e. do not contain the desired messages (emails),
which defies the whole purpose!
How I Did the Export/Import
============================
Startup OE6 and EXPORT all the .dbx files from source to a
common network drive:
Tools -> Options -> Maintenance -> Store Folder -> ctrl+c ;
Start -> Run -> Open -> ctrl+v -> OK ;
Edit -> Select All ;
Edit -> Copy ;(close window)
I then paste the all the .dbx files to common network L
drive.
Next, startup OE6 on new laptop to IMPORT the .dbx files
(along with the .csv and .iaf for address book)
File -> Import -> Messages...
I selected Microsoft Outlook Express 6, then
I selected the Import mail from an OE5 store directory ->
OK, then
I browsed and selected the nextwork drive directory when I
put the source .dbx files -> Next, then
I selected All Folders -> Next
I was advised that my data from OE6 was successfully
imported into OE -> Finish
All the addresses are there
All the mail folders are there, BUT THEY ARE EMPTY!?!

What have I done wrong and how do I get my old mail
messages into these new folders?

Export/Import Messages from Outlook Express

Post by Alia » Thu, 20 May 2004 00:12:41

Try this back up program:

Alias

Quote:> Hi all, new to this forum.
> Requirement
> ===========
> I'm using Outlook Express on one W98/2 OE6 on one laptop
> and I would like to port all my mail folders and messages
> to a new laptop.
> Problem Statement
> =================
> I've managed to import address book and all folders to the
> new laptop running XP2 and OE6. However the folders are
> empty i.e. do not contain the desired messages (emails),
> which defies the whole purpose!
> How I Did the Export/Import
> ============================
> Startup OE6 and EXPORT all the .dbx files from source to a
> common network drive:
> Tools -> Options -> Maintenance -> Store Folder -> ctrl+c ;
> Start -> Run -> Open -> ctrl+v -> OK ;
> Edit -> Select All ;
> Edit -> Copy ;(close window)
> I then paste the all the .dbx files to common network L
> drive.
> Next, startup OE6 on new laptop to IMPORT the .dbx files
> (along with the .csv and .iaf for address book)
> File -> Import -> Messages...
> I selected Microsoft Outlook Express 6, then
> I selected the Import mail from an OE5 store directory ->
> OK, then
> I browsed and selected the nextwork drive directory when I
> put the source .dbx files -> Next, then
> I selected All Folders -> Next
> I was advised that my data from OE6 was successfully
> imported into OE -> Finish
> All the addresses are there
> All the mail folders are there, BUT THEY ARE EMPTY!?!

> What have I done wrong and how do I get my old mail
> messages into these new folders?

Export/Import Messages from Outlook Express

Post by <anonym.. » Thu, 20 May 2004 13:40:17

THX.
It seems to have done a lot more of work that the MS
knowledgebase instructions on the old W98 SP2 machine
I am finding it difficult to restore the backup on the new
XP machine, which has a different directory structure.
I've been at this for two days, which I shouldn't have :-(

Post by PA Bea » Thu, 20 May 2004 17:06:13

Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location of your
current Identity's store.  Write it down.

In WindowsXP, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as
hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files
and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View.

In Explorer, search for .DBX files.  Any found which are *not* located in
your current store will most likely be those from your OE5 Identity.  You
can Import them using File>Import>Messages....

Mail Folders, Address Book, Messages Missing After Upgrade to XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;q313055

More:

Backup & Restore OE Data
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

OE Files & Settings
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/index.htm

Importing OE Data
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx

OE Freebie Backup

Using WinXP's FAST Wizard, by MVP Gary Woodruff
(Please read the caveats about Outlook Express)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

> THX.
> It seems to have done a lot more of work that the MS
> knowledgebase instructions on the old W98 SP2 machine
> I am finding it difficult to restore the backup on the new
> XP machine, which has a different directory structure.
> I've been at this for two days, which I shouldn't have :-(

1. Export/Import Messages From/To Outlook Express ?

Hi all, new to this forum.
Requirement
===========
I'm using Outlook Express on one W98/2 OE6 on one laptop
and I would like to port <b>all</b> my mail folders and
messages to a new laptop.
Problem Statement
=================
===========================
[...]

2. Text over Overlay Video

3. Export/Import Outlook Express 5.5 Messages to XP

4. Compressing Videos with DirectX

5. Import Outlook Express 5 messages in Outlook Express 6

6. CD DVD ROM Error

7. How do I import messages from an Outlook Express v5 pst file into Outlook Express v6 ?

8. Running old 16-bit DOS programs

9. The trick: How to Import Messages from Outlook Express 5 to Outlook Express 6

10. Anyone know how to import outlook express 5.0 messages to outlook express 6.0?

11. How to import Outlook Express 4 Messages on Outlook Express 6

12. How to Import message from Outlook Express 5 to Outlook Express 6