red x`s in web pages

red x`s in web pages

Post by chri » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 00:58:07



does anyone know how to fix this problem no matter what site i go to all the
pictures show up as a red X in a empty box
 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Andrew Wa » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:04:48


Hi,

This problem can occur if you have any Internet security software installed
such as Norton software, Zone Alarm software, or McAfee software, please
disable them to see if the problem still occurs.

To resolve this issue, disable these programs or reset the settings for
these programs. To do this, consult the product documentation.

If the problem still occurs, please try the following steps.

1.      Open Internet Explorer, Click the Tools menu.
2.      Click Internet Options.
3.      Click Clear History in the History area.
4.      Click Yes in the dialog box that appears.
5.      Click Delete Files.
6.      Pick up a check near "Delete all offline contents".
7.      Click OK in the dialog box that appears.

Also make sure that you have enabled Show Picture.

1.      Open Internet Explorer
2.      Click Tools, click Internet Options, and click the Advanced tab.
3.      Please select Show Pictures under Multimedia.
4.      Click OK.

Regards,

Andrew Wang

Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Magellan No » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:23:59


Sorry, but I am not disabling my antivirus just so Microsoft can delay a fix
even longer.  Not a very viable option.

The problem did not occur with the last version of IE, and I am running the
same versions of my protection software now that the problem has arisen as I
did then.  When will a fix from Microsoft be available?


> Hi,

> This problem can occur if you have any Internet security software
installed
> such as Norton software, Zone Alarm software, or McAfee software, please
> disable them to see if the problem still occurs.

> To resolve this issue, disable these programs or reset the settings for
> these programs. To do this, consult the product documentation.

> If the problem still occurs, please try the following steps.

> 1. Open Internet Explorer, Click the Tools menu.
> 2. Click Internet Options.
> 3. Click Clear History in the History area.
> 4. Click Yes in the dialog box that appears.
> 5. Click Delete Files.
> 6. Pick up a check near "Delete all offline contents".
> 7. Click OK in the dialog box that appears.

> Also make sure that you have enabled Show Picture.

> 1. Open Internet Explorer
> 2. Click Tools, click Internet Options, and click the Advanced tab.
> 3. Please select Show Pictures under Multimedia.
> 4. Click OK.

> Regards,

> Andrew Wang

> Product Support Services
> Microsoft Corporation

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by TG » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:54:18


Andrew:
I did all of the things you requested, still no change.

I disabled all Norton software and services, deleted all histories, caches,
cookies, temporarily set all security to it's lowest setting, temporarily
set all privacy to its lowest setting, made sure that my registry for jpeg,
jpg, and gif were correct, added the MSTCP string to my registry and set it
at 300.

All to no avail. On all web sites I can see pictures. From one particular
one, I can't - however I can from any other machine.

Tom


> Hi,

> This problem can occur if you have any Internet security software
installed
> such as Norton software, Zone Alarm software, or McAfee software, please
> disable them to see if the problem still occurs.

> To resolve this issue, disable these programs or reset the settings for
> these programs. To do this, consult the product documentation.

> If the problem still occurs, please try the following steps.

> 1. Open Internet Explorer, Click the Tools menu.
> 2. Click Internet Options.
> 3. Click Clear History in the History area.
> 4. Click Yes in the dialog box that appears.
> 5. Click Delete Files.
> 6. Pick up a check near "Delete all offline contents".
> 7. Click OK in the dialog box that appears.

> Also make sure that you have enabled Show Picture.

> 1. Open Internet Explorer
> 2. Click Tools, click Internet Options, and click the Advanced tab.
> 3. Please select Show Pictures under Multimedia.
> 4. Click OK.

> Regards,

> Andrew Wang

> Product Support Services
> Microsoft Corporation

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by M.J. » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 05:39:08


Hey M.Microsoft I have a question for you...
I've been looking those news group since a while already and yet, I did
everything I saw... without any success.  There is something more and I'm
not talking about any 3rd party programs... if so... I only have InnocuLan.
Never saw anything about it neither.  That famous X keep going... and when
it happens, at the same time, there is no more Western European (ISO)
(Europe Occidentale (ISO) in french that's what I'm using).  What does it
do? Every e-mail in HTML won't be printed, only headers will appear.  Those
2 bugs are related together.  And it seems to affect as well the
"charset=iso-8859-1".  Yet it only happens since I've installed Office XP,
and yes I'm using win98.



> Hi,

> This problem can occur if you have any Internet security software
installed
> such as Norton software, Zone Alarm software, or McAfee software, please
> disable them to see if the problem still occurs.

> To resolve this issue, disable these programs or reset the settings for
> these programs. To do this, consult the product documentation.

> If the problem still occurs, please try the following steps.

> 1. Open Internet Explorer, Click the Tools menu.
> 2. Click Internet Options.
> 3. Click Clear History in the History area.
> 4. Click Yes in the dialog box that appears.
> 5. Click Delete Files.
> 6. Pick up a check near "Delete all offline contents".
> 7. Click OK in the dialog box that appears.

> Also make sure that you have enabled Show Picture.

> 1. Open Internet Explorer
> 2. Click Tools, click Internet Options, and click the Advanced tab.
> 3. Please select Show Pictures under Multimedia.
> 4. Click OK.

> Regards,

> Andrew Wang

> Product Support Services
> Microsoft Corporation

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Robert Aldwinckl » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:58:52


Tom  wrote

Quote:> On all web sites I can see pictures. From one particular
> one, I can't

Some tests you can do to find out the scope of the problem
and possibly circumvent it reliably:
1.    turn on  Every Visit...    (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,E)
    That is slower but seems to be more reliable than  Automatically
2.    When you see some  Red-X   DO NOT USE REFRESH
    Instead,  load  About:Blank  on top of the page
    (It's my Home Page so I just press Alt-Home.)
    Then set Work Offline  (Alt-F,W)  and see if you can go back
    to the problem page.   (If the problem page renders properly
    in a Working Offline state it means that there was an error in
    using the  TIF.  So then perhaps you should clear the TIF.)
3.    An equivalent alternative would be to set  Work Offline
    and then use  Ctrl-N  to clone the window.   An advantage
    of it is that you can compare both windows for any differences
    in case you can't remember where are the  Red-X  were.
4.    In cases where content is not cached you won't be able
    use  Work Offline.   In that case temporarily switch to
    Check for newer... Never   (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,N), go back Online
    and do either of the two suggested alternatives to Refresh.
5.    The same procedure also would be needed if the Red-X
    in fact have not been downloaded yet but you should use the
    Check for newer...  Never  to avoid requesting a check on the
    ones that you already have.   Then only the ones that aren't in
    the cache will be downloaded.
6.    Use the Privacy Report  (Alt-V,v) to determine where the
    images are coming from.   One problem I saw was that they
    were coming from a mirror site which evidently didn't have an
    accurate set of images and so a random set were getting
    HTTP 404  error messages.   A possible explanation for why
    the set was random would be that the mirror site was using
    more than one server and each server had its own erroneous
    subset of the images.

Finally, are you sure that the  Red-X  are really invalid?
A good way to be sure is to use the  IE5 Web Accessory
Images List   (right-click,m).   It allows you to launch each
image into its own separate window (using a proper  REFERER)
so you can see if there is some kind of underlying problem
with it.   Make sure that you are  NOT using  Show Friendly  HTTP
Error Messages  though to see the site's real error messages.
(i.e., uncheck that option in the Advanced tab).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


> Andrew:
> I did all of the things you requested, still no change.

> I disabled all Norton software and services, deleted all histories, caches,
> cookies, temporarily set all security to it's lowest setting, temporarily
> set all privacy to its lowest setting, made sure that my registry for jpeg,
> jpg, and gif were correct, added the MSTCP string to my registry and set it
> at 300.

> All to no avail. On all web sites I can see pictures. From one particular
> one, I can't - however I can from any other machine.

> Tom



> > Hi,

> > This problem can occur if you have any Internet security software
> installed
> > such as Norton software, Zone Alarm software, or McAfee software, please
> > disable them to see if the problem still occurs.

> > To resolve this issue, disable these programs or reset the settings for
> > these programs. To do this, consult the product documentation.

> > If the problem still occurs, please try the following steps.

> > 1. Open Internet Explorer, Click the Tools menu.
> > 2. Click Internet Options.
> > 3. Click Clear History in the History area.
> > 4. Click Yes in the dialog box that appears.
> > 5. Click Delete Files.
> > 6. Pick up a check near "Delete all offline contents".
> > 7. Click OK in the dialog box that appears.

> > Also make sure that you have enabled Show Picture.

> > 1. Open Internet Explorer
> > 2. Click Tools, click Internet Options, and click the Advanced tab.
> > 3. Please select Show Pictures under Multimedia.
> > 4. Click OK.

> > Regards,

> > Andrew Wang

> > Product Support Services
> > Microsoft Corporation

> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Andrew Wa » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:21:53


Hi,

The pictures on some sites would show up as a red "x".  Right click>>show
picture did not help.  This most often occurred on sites with javascripting
in the source code.

CAUSE:  Customer was missing a registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NLS\Codepage

This key handles the "encoding" setting on a webpage.

When we would change the encoding (view>>encoding) of the internet site
without pictures from "Western European (ISO)" to "Western European
(Windows)" the pictures could be viewed, but the setting would not hold.  
The next site we browsed to would not have pictures.

RESOLUTION:  

Cut and paste the following information (in between the "x" lines) into
notepad.  
Save it as codepage.reg.
Double click on it.
Say yes to add it to the registry.
Reboot and try the websites again.

Note: If you use Windows XP, the first line should be "Windows Registry
Editor Version 5.00" (without the quotation marks), not REGEDIT4

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Codepage]
"ACP"="1252"
"OEMCP"="437"
"1250"="CP_1250.nls"
"1251"="CP_1251.nls"
"1252"="CP_1252.nls"
"1253"="CP_1253.nls"
"1254"="CP_1254.nls"
"1255"="CP_1255.nls"
"1256"="CP_1256.nls"
"1257"="CP_1257.nls"
"1258"="CP_1258.nls"
"874"="CP_874.nls"
"932"="CP_932.nls"
"936"="CP_936.nls"
"949"="CP_949.nls"
"950"="CP_950.nls"
"437"="cp_437.nls"
"850"="cp_850.nls"
"737"="cp_737.nls"
"775"="cp_775.nls"
"852"="cp_852.nls"
"857"="cp_857.nls"
"855"="cp_855.nls"
"866"="cp_866.nls"
"869"="cp_869.nls"
"28597"="cp_28597.nls"
"20866"="CP_20866.nls"
"28595"="cp_28595.nls"
"28592"="cp_28592.nls"
"20127"="cp_20127.nls"
"28594"="cp_28594.nls"
"28599"="cp_28599.nls"
"21866"="CP_21866.nls"
"28591"="CP_28591.nls"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Andrew Wang

Online Support Professional
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Robert Aldwinckl » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:30:22


Andrew,

Did you make a typo in that registry patch?
On my Windows XP Pro those file names
are all prefixed by  c_   (not  CP_ )

I also searched my harddrive for both.
The former were found in   System32
and the latter were not found anywhere.

Robert Aldwinckle
(MVP IE)
---


> Hi,

> The pictures on some sites would show up as a red "x".  Right click>>show
> picture did not help.  This most often occurred on sites with javascripting
> in the source code.

> CAUSE:  Customer was missing a registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NLS\Codepage

> This key handles the "encoding" setting on a webpage.

> When we would change the encoding (view>>encoding) of the internet site
> without pictures from "Western European (ISO)" to "Western European
> (Windows)" the pictures could be viewed, but the setting would not hold.
> The next site we browsed to would not have pictures.

> RESOLUTION:

> Cut and paste the following information (in between the "x" lines) into
> notepad.
> Save it as codepage.reg.
> Double click on it.
> Say yes to add it to the registry.
> Reboot and try the websites again.

> Note: If you use Windows XP, the first line should be "Windows Registry
> Editor Version 5.00" (without the quotation marks), not REGEDIT4

> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> REGEDIT4

> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Codepage]
> "ACP"="1252"
> "OEMCP"="437"
> "1250"="CP_1250.nls"
> "1251"="CP_1251.nls"
> "1252"="CP_1252.nls"
> "1253"="CP_1253.nls"
> "1254"="CP_1254.nls"
> "1255"="CP_1255.nls"
> "1256"="CP_1256.nls"
> "1257"="CP_1257.nls"
> "1258"="CP_1258.nls"
> "874"="CP_874.nls"
> "932"="CP_932.nls"
> "936"="CP_936.nls"
> "949"="CP_949.nls"
> "950"="CP_950.nls"
> "437"="cp_437.nls"
> "850"="cp_850.nls"
> "737"="cp_737.nls"
> "775"="cp_775.nls"
> "852"="cp_852.nls"
> "857"="cp_857.nls"
> "855"="cp_855.nls"
> "866"="cp_866.nls"
> "869"="cp_869.nls"
> "28597"="cp_28597.nls"
> "20866"="CP_20866.nls"
> "28595"="cp_28595.nls"
> "28592"="cp_28592.nls"
> "20127"="cp_20127.nls"
> "28594"="cp_28594.nls"
> "28599"="cp_28599.nls"
> "21866"="CP_21866.nls"
> "28591"="CP_28591.nls"

> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Regards,

> Andrew Wang

> Online Support Professional
> Microsoft Corporation

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Andrew Wa » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:09:58


Hi,

For Windows XP,  the files names are all prefixed by  c_   (not  CP_ ). For
Windows 98, the files names are prefixed by CP_.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by occtoy » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:02:10


If anyone successfully applies this edit and it fixes the red x problem,
please advise the group.

I applied this to my xp system as originally written. It caused my system to
be unable to boot, the windows xp cd could not repair it. If it wasn't for
Powerquest Drive Image, I would still be rebuilding my system.

Thanks,
Brad


Quote:> Hi,

> For Windows XP,  the files names are all prefixed by  c_   (not  CP_ ).
For
> Windows 98, the files names are prefixed by CP_.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Robert Aldwinckl » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:29:20



Quote:> Hi,

> For Windows XP,  the files names are all prefixed by  c_   (not  CP_ ). For
> Windows 98, the files names are prefixed by CP_.

Ok.  Thanks and sorry for interrupting.
I just noticed that M.J. did say  "and yes I'm using win98".
I think I may have got confused by the comment you have
in the regedit source:

Quote:>>> Note: If you use Windows XP, the first line should be "Windows Registry
>>> Editor Version 5.00"

Robert
---
 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by TG » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 04:35:44


Andrew-
You should know that in your original post you FAILED to mention that in XP
all should be prefixed by a c_ and not a CP_.

Your omission caused my entire windows XP to crash, only to be repaired by
reformatting the hard disk.

Perhaps you may want to double check your postings!

Tom

Quote:> Hi,

> For Windows XP,  the files names are all prefixed by  c_   (not  CP_ ).
For
> Windows 98, the files names are prefixed by CP_.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by TG » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 04:39:34


Andrew-
You should know that in your original post you FAILED to mention that in XP
all should be prefixed by a c_ and not a CP_.

Your omission caused my entire windows XP to crash, only to be repaired by
reformatting the hard disk.

Perhaps you may want to double check your postings!

Tom

Quote:> Hi,

> For Windows XP,  the files names are all prefixed by  c_   (not  CP_ ).
For
> Windows 98, the files names are prefixed by CP_.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Andrew Wa » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:11:58


Hi,

I am very sorry for the problem my suggestion has caused. I'll modify my
suggestion. Thanks,

Regards,

Andrew Wang
Online Support Professional
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

 
 
 

red x`s in web pages

Post by Edward Levita » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:59:31


I found a solution that worked for me.  Go to Control Panel.  Double Click
Quick Time.  Pull Down File Type Associations.  Check Internet file types.
I rebooted and yes the images appeared even with the encoding checked as
Western European(iso)


> Hi,

> This problem can occur if you have any Internet security software
installed
> such as Norton software, Zone Alarm software, or McAfee software, please
> disable them to see if the problem still occurs.

> To resolve this issue, disable these programs or reset the settings for
> these programs. To do this, consult the product documentation.

> If the problem still occurs, please try the following steps.

> 1. Open Internet Explorer, Click the Tools menu.
> 2. Click Internet Options.
> 3. Click Clear History in the History area.
> 4. Click Yes in the dialog box that appears.
> 5. Click Delete Files.
> 6. Pick up a check near "Delete all offline contents".
> 7. Click OK in the dialog box that appears.

> Also make sure that you have enabled Show Picture.

> 1. Open Internet Explorer
> 2. Click Tools, click Internet Options, and click the Advanced tab.
> 3. Please select Show Pictures under Multimedia.
> 4. Click OK.

> Regards,

> Andrew Wang

> Product Support Services
> Microsoft Corporation

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

 
 
 

1. RED X, red x, RED X ...red flaming X :-(

I seen plenty of emails about this, but NEVER an actual fix. You know the
problem.... "Red X" placeholders instead of various pictures, gifs, etc when
a page is loaded and reloaded and reloaded then magically they appear
(maybe, sometimes, occasionally :-) )

Well folks, what's the answer???? Please don't say change the "Encoding"
setting...it DOESN'T work.

Well folks, what's the answer???? Please don't direct me to some webpage
which suggests fiddling with the registry.

Has anyone seem the magic answer....apart from going back to 5.5?

Seriously though... any help appreciated. Although I am amazed MS haven't
owned and sorted the problems themselves !!!

2. XP tweaks

3. can't open web pages with log ins

4. Is this a virus? (text, not attachment, incl).

5. Image on web page appears as a red X

6. Problems: Windows palettes and XGA

7. "the red X"-missing graphics when viewing certain web pages???

8. editing the registry

9. red crosses in boxes on web pages

10. For the first time I am getting the dreaded red Xs on a web page

11. Web Page Displays an Image As a Red X or Not at All

12. web page shows some graphics and some red x s where graphics should be

13. Red X's appear on web pages