IE6 Search info resets and I lose the search info

IE6 Search info resets and I lose the search info

Post by John » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:27:31

I'm running Win XP Pro and have the latest version of IE6.
When I use the default setting for a search I'm able to find my information
as normal.
When I close the search window and reopen it I momentarily see my search
info but it then disappears and I must reenter my search query again.
 Is this something you may have seen or know why and how to correct.

Any ideas or suggestions will be helpful.

John

IE6 Search info resets and I lose the search info

Post by John » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:13:24

I researched my problem a little more and discovered that no matter what I
change it will not save the changes.
Next time I start IE6 it goes back to what ever the original setting are in
IE6.

Could this be a security issue in WinXP Pro? I do have Admin Access

John

Quote:> I'm running Win XP Pro and have the latest version of IE6.
> When I use the default setting for a search I'm able to find my
information
> as normal.
> When I close the search window and reopen it I momentarily see my search
> info but it then disappears and I must reenter my search query again.
>  Is this something you may have seen or know why and how to correct.

> Any ideas or suggestions will be helpful.

> John

IE6 Search info resets and I lose the search info

Post by Robert Aldwinckl » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 01:31:39

Here's a repost of an answer I gave to the same question
about a week ago.

I also gave a more complete answer which contains
a possible rationale for the change.

Still on server  msnews.microsoft.com

Subject: Re: NO search links at all!!!
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:23:28 -0500

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

---

If this is the MSN search bar you're looking at
be aware that there was a recent change to its
HTML and its functionality.   Now when you turn
the search bar off and on you get the search assistant
again instead of your previous search.  However,
you can go back to your previous search by using
its Back command  (e.g.  right-click Back or, if the
keyboard focus is on it,  Alt-CursorLeft).   Also if
you use IE's Fullscreen option (F11) you can unpin
the search bar and let it autohide, instead of closing it.
That way your search position would stay unchanged.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> I'm running Win XP Pro and have the latest version of IE6.
> When I use the default setting for a search I'm able to find my information
> as normal.
> When I close the search window and reopen it I momentarily see my search
> info but it then disappears and I must reenter my search query again.
>  Is this something you may have seen or know why and how to correct.

> Any ideas or suggestions will be helpful.

> John

IE6 Search info resets and I lose the search info

Post by Kim » Thu, 16 May 2002 04:36:23

I have the same problem and am interested in hearing your
full answer but I can't find it on the news server.  Could
you please re-post it?

Thank you.
Kim

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

>---

>If this is the MSN search bar you're looking at
>be aware that there was a recent change to its
>HTML and its functionality.   Now when you turn
>the search bar off and on you get the search assistant
>again instead of your previous search.  However,
>you can go back to your previous search by using
>its Back command  (e.g.  right-click Back or, if the
>keyboard focus is on it,  Alt-CursorLeft).   Also if
>you use IE's Fullscreen option (F11) you can unpin
>the search bar and let it autohide, instead of closing it.
>That way your search position would stay unchanged.

>HTH

>Robert Aldwinckle
>---

Quote:>> I'm running Win XP Pro and have the latest version of
IE6.
>> When I use the default setting for a search I'm able to
find my information
>> as normal.
>> When I close the search window and reopen it I

momentarily see my search

Quote:>> info but it then disappears and I must reenter my
search query again.
>>  Is this something you may have seen or know why and
how to correct.

>> Any ideas or suggestions will be helpful.

>> John

>.

1. searching for my lost search companioin

Whomever Concerned:
Has anyone else lost this little gem downloading the
Windows Servpack 1?

My question is technical in nature but may be simple to
someone who knows the command line to place in the "Run"
function from the xp start menu.

When I click on the magnifying glass or the "Search
Companion" function from windows xp start menu I recieve
companion cannot be found.  You may need to -Run- setup.

Microsoft and Systemax personnal support teams want to
charge me $35 for the information.  I even have an
extended warranty with Systemax that they say covers only
hardware not the software.  I believe that microsoft is
responsible because I somehow lost this function during
update.

I'm really trying to decide if I need search, but it is
handy at times and is part of the original Windows XP.
That reason alone makes it worthwhile.

Can anyone out there please advise?  Thankyou in advance
to anyone that will reply.

Randy

2. boot.ini (dual boot)

3. XP file search... and search.... and search

4. Downloading images.

5. IE6 search won't open searched page in right panel

6. Audio and video clips

7. Search engine included in the Search of IE6???

8. Yeah

9. changing search page (search button on browser IE6)

10. IE6 Search Engine Takes Over (will not allow other search engines)

11. IE6 searches the computer before it searches the WWW

12. search info-Frame Grabber FGN-100

13. Find Album Info - Search failures