IE6 after complete Win98se reinstall

Post by Ray » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 03:53:53

Hello,
I have completely reinstalled Win98se.  Before the
reinstall I was running IE5. After reinstall I went to
Microsoft update to download all Critial Updates. Only
then did I reload The Microsoft Works Suite 2000. Problem
is, the browser seems to be running very slow and the
features look the same as IE5. It looks nothing like the
IE6 I see on the Microsoft IE website. Have I blown some
important files from the computer? Did the download of IE6
from the updates screen not include some important core
files?
Thanks for any input,
Ray

IE6 after complete Win98se reinstall

Post by Jerr » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:20:25

If Works Suite 2000 installed IE it could have rolled your version 6 back to
5. Download 6 w/sp1 and try again.

Quote:> Hello,
> I have completely reinstalled Win98se.  Before the
> reinstall I was running IE5. After reinstall I went to
> Microsoft update to download all Critial Updates. Only
> then did I reload The Microsoft Works Suite 2000. Problem
> is, the browser seems to be running very slow and the
> features look the same as IE5. It looks nothing like the
> IE6 I see on the Microsoft IE website. Have I blown some
> important files from the computer? Did the download of IE6
> from the updates screen not include some important core
> files?
> Thanks for any input,
> Ray

IE6 after complete Win98se reinstall

Post by Technical Education » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 02:33:09

To download Internet Explorer 5, 5.5, or 6 for a different operating system
by using a Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, or Windows NT 4.0-based
computer, follow these steps:
If you have not already done so, download the Internet Explorer Setup file
(Ie5setup.exe or Ie6setup.exe) from the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/default.htm

Follow the instructions on your screen until you receive a prompt for the
installation type.
Click Customize Your Installation, and then click Next.
Click Advanced, click Download Only, and then click Next.
Click the appropriate operating system check boxes to select them, click
Next, and then follow the instructions on your screen to download Internet
Explorer 5 Setup files for the selected operating systems.

A version of  IE6 is implicit in XP.  And a version of  IE6sp1 is implicit
in XPsp1.  You can if you want uninstall  XPsp1 and then install IE6sp1
separately.   Then you would see IE6sp1 listed in Add/Remove Programs.

If you need more help with your versions open an IE window and capture the
output from these two commands:

javascript:navigator.appVersion
javascript:navigator.appMinorVersion

Note:  both property names are case sensitive

The Southerner is a local person - to a degree unknown in other sections of
the United States. The Southerner always thinks of himself as being from
somewhere, as belonging to some spot of earth.
http://adamsappleamerica.com

Quote:> Hello,
> I have completely reinstalled Win98se.  Before the
> reinstall I was running IE5. After reinstall I went to
> Microsoft update to download all Critial Updates. Only
> then did I reload The Microsoft Works Suite 2000. Problem
> is, the browser seems to be running very slow and the
> features look the same as IE5. It looks nothing like the
> IE6 I see on the Microsoft IE website. Have I blown some
> important files from the computer? Did the download of IE6
> from the updates screen not include some important core
> files?
> Thanks for any input,
> Ray

1. How to do a complete clean reinstall of IE6 on XP?

Hi - I have a related issues which I'd imagine have known solutions.
Issue 1: IE 6 corrupts web page, renders it unusable. In Yahoo web mail, the
Compose window shows a half page of code, and a non functioning compose
area. Navigator on the same machine can use the page fine. I've checked the
same page using other machines with IE 6 on NT and XP and do not see the
problem there; it's this install & not the web page. I've applied the latest
service packs and patches for both XP and IE (actually, it worked _before_
the patches... surprise).
XP Pro SP1   IE 6.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920
plenty of ram, disk space, etc
My web connection is up, and running fine (1.544 mpbs), I've disabled the
firewall temporarily (made no difference), rebooted (no change) and
reinstalled IE with the following procedure:
Ctl panel, add/remove windows components. Uncheck IE, finish, reboot,
reinstall IE. No change.
Obviously, this procedure does not truly uninstall IE. The reinstall went
too quickly to account for IE's size, and recent urls remained in the
dropdown.

Issue 2: Windows update failed repeatedly (it is now working, though with
extreme slowness). The applet scans for new updates, identifies them, and
offers the "accept" license dialog. The download then fails (I'm on the 4th
attempt now).

Any IT folks know the solution to this one?

- thanks!

2. Reboot serial port

3. How can I do a complete, clean un then reinstall of IE6?

4. DOS Directory & Win95

5. ie6 in WinXP vs ie6 in win98se

6. formatting a second drive with xp home edition

7. Complete Uninstall of WMP 7.1 on Win98se

8. search engine on a CD-ROM

9. Download complete win98se

10. Reinstalling Win98SE when Dual Boot with Win2K

11. blank popup windows in ie6 under XP-home; can't reinstall ie6

12. Complete uninstall of WindowsMedia Player and reinstall

13. constant "reinstall not completed - please reboot"