Pop-up advertising gone wild

Post by Rob Tich » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:34:19

I have XP Home with 3 users setup (3 separate desktops);
when 2 of the users start IE6, it works all right; when
the 3rd user starts IE6, no matter what home page is
setup, a flood of pop-up advertising starts filling the
screen.

How do I stop this? It makes it impossible to use the
browser at all!

Thanks

Pop-up advertising gone wild

Post by Roll » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:58:19

Go to www.meaya.com and download "Pop Up Filter".  This
will eliminate all popups.  Best software I've ever
purchased.  Free trial then very inexpensive to
purchase.  Well worth it.

Good luck.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have XP Home with 3 users setup (3 separate desktops);
>when 2 of the users start IE6, it works all right; when
>the 3rd user starts IE6, no matter what home page is
>setup, a flood of pop-up advertising starts filling the
>screen.

>How do I stop this? It makes it impossible to use the
>browser at all!

>Thanks
>.

Pop-up advertising gone wild

Post by isabell » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:56:03

Hi,

I had the problem you mentionned... but this was a trojan virus called
js_noclose.e, the virus was made to open so many windows, your system jams
and fails to respond.  Sometimes, there was maybe 50-60 windows that opened
at the same time...  this was very hard to browse with.  I updated my
anti-virus, scan my computer, went into the register and deleted entries as
they told me to do on my anti-virus site and the problem was resolved.

Here is a site that may help you with this problem, if effectively it is a
virus called JS_NOCLOSE.E

http://www.trendmicro.com, by the way PCcillin is very effective and I think
it is available free.

I found that a site called www.znext.com was responsible for this virus
infection... so put this site onto your restricted sites list.

If this is your situation, I hope my informations will help you.

Ciao

Isabelle

Quote:> I have XP Home with 3 users setup (3 separate desktops);
> when 2 of the users start IE6, it works all right; when
> the 3rd user starts IE6, no matter what home page is
> setup, a flood of pop-up advertising starts filling the
> screen.

> How do I stop this? It makes it impossible to use the
> browser at all!

> Thanks

Pop-up advertising gone wild

Post by Mike Burges » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:32:54

Rob,
To Prevent Windows PopUp Spam:
http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/security/articles/popupspam/index.htm
http://www.stopmessengerspam.com/

Test your setup:
http://www.mynetwatchman.com/winpopuptester.asp

To Prevent Browser PopUps:
AdShield 1.2 [freeware]
http://www.adshield.org/

- Ability to block Macromedia Flash ads
- Ability to block Javascript pop-ups and other nasties!
- Ability to block Ad Banners, Cookies, Hit Counters, etc.
- Change options "on-the-fly" via new IE Toolbar button
- No need to close IE to change options
- Supports "Importing" block lists
[more info]
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
--
Check for Spyware | Adware | Parasites | Dialers | Hijackers | Trojans:
--
SpyBot [freeware] http://security.kolla.de/
S&D searches your harddisk for so-called spy- or adbots;

Quote:> I have XP Home with 3 users setup (3 separate desktops);
> when 2 of the users start IE6, it works all right; when
> the 3rd user starts IE6, no matter what home page is
> setup, a flood of pop-up advertising starts filling the
> screen.

> How do I stop this? It makes it impossible to use the
> browser at all!

> Thanks

Pop-up advertising gone wild

Post by Mike Burges » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:41:54

Isabelle,
Yup that site is owned by: znext.com = Asher Nahmias
He also runs 7 other sites that so the same thing!

I have all 8 of those sites in my HOSTS file and in "domains.reg"
domains.reg = adds these parasites to the Restricted Zone.
_______________________________________

Post by Opinicu » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 04:55:07

> Test your setup:
> http://www.mynetwatchman.com/winpopuptester.asp

That's good for Messenger Service type popups.

Here's a good one for "console" type popups:

http://www.mediaboy.net/1010100-1100001-1111010/gahk/

Gives Pop-Up Stopper Pro a real workout!
--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Pop-up advertising gone wild

Post by Mike Burges » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 05:04:18

Opinicus,
Yup .... tried that several times = no pop-ups!  <g>
_______________________________________
Mike Burgess   http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 3-09-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> > Test your setup:
> > http://www.mynetwatchman.com/winpopuptester.asp

> That's good for Messenger Service type popups.

> Here's a good one for "console" type popups:

> http://www.mediaboy.net/1010100-1100001-1111010/gahk/

> Gives Pop-Up Stopper Pro a real workout!
> --
> Bob
> Kanyak's Doghouse
> http://kanyak.com

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. WMP7 OR WMP6.3 will not "stream" ATTN: Mattdt[MS]

3. mpeg problem

4. Desktop Pop Ups (Advertising Ads)

5. XP Home won't let me turn off my computer!

6. The pop-ups the maddening pop-ups!!!

7. Quality consistency of Nino 312

8. Pop-ups and Messanger Pop-ups

9. advertising page now autoloading on top, worse than a pop-up!

10. Intrusive advertising pop-up windows

11. pop-up advertising?

12. pop-up advertising places unwanted destop icons