Menu "Tools" / "Windows Update" goes to wrong place!

Menu "Tools" / "Windows Update" goes to wrong place!

Post by Brian Gregory [UK » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 02:54:17

I looked at some stuff on the Internet about Longhorn and now the
"Windows Update" on the "Tools" menu in IE6 SP1 tries to go to a non
existant Longhorn Windows Update page!!!

It tries to go to:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x0809&pver=6.0&ar
=ienews&os=N6

Where should it go to?
(Presumably it's the os=N6 bit that is wrong)

And how can I set it back so that is goes to the correct place.

I have tried searching the registry for "os=N6" but this string is not
in my registry!

Help!
--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

Post by Wilc » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 06:59:09

> I looked at some stuff on the Internet about Longhorn and now the
> "Windows Update" on the "Tools" menu in IE6 SP1 tries to go to a non
> existant Longhorn Windows Update page!!!

> It tries to go to:
> http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x0809&pver=6.0&ar
> =ienews&os=N6

> Where should it go to?
> (Presumably it's the os=N6 bit that is wrong)

> And how can I set it back so that is goes to the correct place.

> I have tried searching the registry for "os=N6" but this string is not
> in my registry!

> Help!
> --

> Brian Gregory (In the UK).

I've got the same problem with Windows Update url from Tools in IE6.
I've got a tip from an other user who told me to delete the Temporary
Internet Files. When I did my problem was solved.

Wilco de Bree

Menu "Tools" / "Windows Update" goes to wrong place!

Post by Brian Gregory [UK » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:19:01

Quote:> I've got the same problem with Windows Update url from Tools in IE6.
> I've got a tip from an other user who told me to delete the Temporary
> Internet Files. When I did my problem was solved.

It doesn't  work for me.

:-(

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

Menu "Tools" / "Windows Update" goes to wrong place!

Post by Henri Leboeu » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 01:40:24

Try this link.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Troubleshooting station.
Start here if you want.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
--

Henri Leboeuf

> I looked at some stuff on the Internet about Longhorn and now the
> "Windows Update" on the "Tools" menu in IE6 SP1 tries to go to a non
> existant Longhorn Windows Update page!!!

> It tries to go to:
> http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x0809&pver=6.0&ar
> =ienews&os=N6

> Where should it go to?
> (Presumably it's the os=N6 bit that is wrong)

> And how can I set it back so that is goes to the correct place.

> I have tried searching the registry for "os=N6" but this string is not
> in my registry!

> Help!
> --

> Brian Gregory (In the UK).

Menu "Tools" / "Windows Update" goes to wrong place!

Post by Brian Gregory [UK » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 02:29:05

Quote:> Try this link.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

> Troubleshooting station.
> Start here if you want.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Thanks.

I could always get to the Windows update page just by using the link on
the programs menu or by going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

However, just going to
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/ seems to have
magically fixed it. I didn't do anything except read the page and it
fixed it!

Or I guess it could be a delayed effect from clearing my "Temporary
Internet Files" yesterday.

Now "Tools" / "Windows Update" goes to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com which works fine.

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

1. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Support" on the Start Menu

This is advice, rather than a request for information ...

When playing around with Windows XP Tweaking software, such as

MicroSoft PowerToys "TweakUI for XP"
JerMar "TweakiFor Power Users" version 4
TweakXP Pro 2.0

or even the properties of the Start menu, it is possible to disable
the run, search and help icons from the Start menu ... Some of them
disable the button, whilst others disable the functionality ...

The problem comes when you switch off the functionality with one
Tweaking program, and try to use another to switch it back on. (Bad
idea on reflection :-) ...

Anyway, what I found was out of the four methods mentioned above,
using "Tweaki...For Power Users" (available from
http://www.jermar.com) was able to re-enable the icons irrelevent of
what program was used to disable them ...

Using "Tweaki For Power Users" (available from:
http://www.jermar.com") go to Security and on the Interface page,
scroll to the bottom, and check the boxes next to: "Remove Help
option", "Remove 'Run' command", and "Remove 'Search' command" click
on Done reboot then go back into "TweakiFor Power Users" and
uncheck these boxes again once you have applied the changes, reboot
again and they should work again

(well, they did for me anyway :-)

2. Best screensaver development tool supporting MPEG video?

3. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Suport" (Start Menu)

4. Kelly, ny help here? Batch adressees highlighted!!!

5. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

6. Looking for Early Windows95 Shell

7. "account" option under "tools" menu tab missing

8. Probable New Buffer Overrun (Jan 2, 2002)

9. Problems accessing "Internet Options" from the "Tools" menu

10. can't access "windows explorer" , "my computer", "control panel"

11. WANTED """ NT 3.51 Training Videos """" WANTED

12. Configure the "new" menu within the "right-click" context menu

13. wmp copy to cd """ error """