XP IE6 Cookie store location mystery

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 04:57:46

Folks;

I have an account on an XP system that is setup to store cookies in the
default location of C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies but the
cookies are actually stored in C:\WINDOWS\Cookies. I have other accounts
where this is not a problem.

I've checked the User Shell Folders location in the HKCU branch of the
registry and it is correct (%USERPROFILE%\Cookies), but IE definitely is
reading and writing cookies to the C:\WINDOWS\Cookies location instead
of where User Shell Folders indicates.

I know that IE6 will use that WINDOWS folder if for some reason the
correct Cookies folder is missing or inaccessible, but I can see no
indication that there is anything wrong with the permissions on the
Cookies folder, although I did recreate it after a clean install.

Has anyone seen this peculiarity before? It wouldn't be a problem except
all the third-party tools are correctly reading the registry and looking
for cookies in the userprofile location and not in Windows, so they end
up managing the wrong cookies.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

XP IE6 Cookie store location mystery

Post by Jorda » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:49:31

It's been noted before in this newsgroup Kent on pre-XP OS's.

Quote:> Folks;

> I have an account on an XP system that is setup to store cookies in the
> default location of C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies but the
> cookies are actually stored in C:\WINDOWS\Cookies. I have other accounts
> where this is not a problem.

> I've checked the User Shell Folders location in the HKCU branch of the
> registry and it is correct (%USERPROFILE%\Cookies), but IE definitely is
> reading and writing cookies to the C:\WINDOWS\Cookies location instead
> of where User Shell Folders indicates.

> I know that IE6 will use that WINDOWS folder if for some reason the
> correct Cookies folder is missing or inaccessible, but I can see no
> indication that there is anything wrong with the permissions on the
> Cookies folder, although I did recreate it after a clean install.

> Has anyone seen this peculiarity before? It wouldn't be a problem except
> all the third-party tools are correctly reading the registry and looking
> for cookies in the userprofile location and not in Windows, so they end
> up managing the wrong cookies.

> --
> Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

XP IE6 Cookie store location mystery

Post by Jim Lawle » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:30:13

Kent,

I was researching related information when I came across this today.

I think that you may be close to the solution with your statement - ...will
use that WINDOWS folder if for some reason the correct Cookies folder is
missing or inaccessible...

This is similar to the problem some have had with IE placing the 'Temporary
Internet File' folder within their WINDOWS\TEMP folder.

Is it possible that the "Index.dat" file in the "%USERPROFILE%\Cookies"
folder has been corrupted to the point that IE detects an error, abandons
the use of the folder and defaults to use of "WINDOWS\Cookies"?

Easy enough to check.  Just delete that "Index.dat" file and reboot.

If you have already solved the problem, please share the solution with us.

Thanks,

  Jim Lawler - author of 'PurgeIE'

    http://www.purgeie.com

Quote:> Folks;

> I have an account on an XP system that is setup to store cookies in the
> default location of C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies but the
> cookies are actually stored in C:\WINDOWS\Cookies. I have other accounts
> where this is not a problem.

> I've checked the User Shell Folders location in the HKCU branch of the
> registry and it is correct (%USERPROFILE%\Cookies), but IE definitely is
> reading and writing cookies to the C:\WINDOWS\Cookies location instead
> of where User Shell Folders indicates.

> I know that IE6 will use that WINDOWS folder if for some reason the
> correct Cookies folder is missing or inaccessible, but I can see no
> indication that there is anything wrong with the permissions on the
> Cookies folder, although I did recreate it after a clean install.

> Has anyone seen this peculiarity before? It wouldn't be a problem except
> all the third-party tools are correctly reading the registry and looking
> for cookies in the userprofile location and not in Windows, so they end
> up managing the wrong cookies.

> --
> Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

XP IE6 Cookie store location mystery

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:09:04

Hi, Jim, I was going to send my results to you once I had a solution,
since I use PurgeIE and it is treating the WINDOWS\Cookies folder as
strays, since IE is using that folder, but my profile Cookies folder is
set in User Shell Folders and Shell Folders as the true Cookie folder.

Yes, I have tried various ways of deleting the index.dat, relogging,
rebooting and everything else but I can't get XP to focus on the right
folder. Perhaps I need to delete both index.dat files when logged on as
Administrator. I've set this aside as I played with Shell Folders in
general to figure out how Windows is managing these magic folder
settings. I'll be posting a note in .windowsxp.customize probably today
describing what I have discovered and documented.

I tried the right-click "Move Here" in Windows Explorer but that doesn't
work because the index.dat file is in use. So I have to use the
registry, but the registry keys are already pointing to
%USERPROFILE%\Cookies.

I set this Cookie problem aside when I posted this note. I hope you can
modify PurgeIE to manage the Cookie cache in Windows as well as
%USERPROFILE%.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

Quote:> Kent,

> I was researching related information when I came across this today.

> I think that you may be close to the solution with your statement -
...will
> use that WINDOWS folder if for some reason the correct Cookies folder
is
> missing or inaccessible...

> This is similar to the problem some have had with IE placing the
'Temporary
> Internet File' folder within their WINDOWS\TEMP folder.

> Is it possible that the "Index.dat" file in the

"%USERPROFILE%\Cookies"
> folder has been corrupted to the point that IE detects an error,
abandons
> the use of the folder and defaults to use of "WINDOWS\Cookies"?

> Easy enough to check.  Just delete that "Index.dat" file and reboot.

> If you have already solved the problem, please share the solution with
us.

> Thanks,

>   Jim Lawler - author of 'PurgeIE'

>     http://www.purgeie.com

> > Folks;

> > I have an account on an XP system that is setup to store cookies in
the
> > default location of C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies but
the
> > cookies are actually stored in C:\WINDOWS\Cookies. I have other
accounts
> > where this is not a problem.

> > I've checked the User Shell Folders location in the HKCU branch of
the
> > registry and it is correct (%USERPROFILE%\Cookies), but IE
definitely is
> > reading and writing cookies to the C:\WINDOWS\Cookies location
instead
> > of where User Shell Folders indicates.

> > I know that IE6 will use that WINDOWS folder if for some reason the
> > correct Cookies folder is missing or inaccessible, but I can see no
> > indication that there is anything wrong with the permissions on the
> > Cookies folder, although I did recreate it after a clean install.

> > Has anyone seen this peculiarity before? It wouldn't be a problem
except
> > all the third-party tools are correctly reading the registry and
looking
> > for cookies in the userprofile location and not in Windows, so they
end
> > up managing the wrong cookies.

> > --
> > Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

1. Location of Stored Cookies/Passwords?

This has probably been asked and answered before, but since I've
searched this newsgroup plus looked on the MS support website and found
nothing, I have to ask now. Apologies...

I'm trying to migrate from IE5.1 OS9 to IE5.2.1 OS X. The favorites.
the preferences and the scrapbook are working fine, but I can't find
where the cookies and passwords are stored in the OS9 version and don't
know where to put them in the OS X version.

What file are these kept in? And does this file transfer directly to
the OS X version? If so, does  it  go in the
~/Library/Preferences/Explorer folder? If not, where?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Scrooge

2. "Web" view in Windows Explorer

3. IE6 Won't store cookies no matter what!

4. Ok. !!! windows 95 experts figure this out

5. SHN files

6. WinXP+IE6 & Cookies are not stored

7. Windows Update Q810577

8. IE6 Won't store cookies no matter what!

9. Help: Missing emails in Outlook Express 6 on XP Pro after moving location store

10. COOKIES: IE6 STILL Not Accepting Cookies

11. Location Location Location

12. Where are the location of the songs and thier ratings stored?