Where is my address list?

Post by Rudy Lipper » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 23:50:55

I've just had windows re-installed.  I have outlook express up and running,
but the contents of my address book have disappeared as well as my mail
(inbox, outbox and folders).  Where is this stuff stored?  How do I access
it?

Where is my address list?

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, OE/W » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:10:43

Quote:> I've just had windows re-installed.  I have outlook express up and
> running, but the contents of my address book have disappeared as well as
> my mail (inbox, outbox and folders).  Where is this stuff stored?  How do
> I access it?

The messages were in DBX files, which are hidden, and the contacts in a WAB
file, which may or may not be hidden.  In OE go to Tools | Options
Maintenance | Store Folder and write down where OE is now storing the DBX
files.  For the Address Book open the Address Book and click Help | About.
Then set Search to show hidden files and folders and search for them.  If
you find them in a different place use OE's File | Import.  If you don't
find them in a different place you will have to get them from your latest
backup.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, OE/WM
Please reply in newsgroup.

Where is my address list?

Post by DGues » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:17:30

Quote:> I've just had windows re-installed.  I have outlook express up and
> running, but the contents of my address book have disappeared as well as
> my mail (inbox, outbox and folders).  Where is this stuff stored?  How do
> I access it?

When you say you reinstalled, how did you do it, format and install or just
install over what was there?

Did you back up any of it before reinstalling?

.WAB is the address book file
.DBX are the OE message stores

Both are hidden system files so if you search for them, you will need to
include the option to include hidden files or make them visible via
Explorer's Tool | Folder Options | View tab
Select "Show all files and folders"
Uncheck the box to "Hide file extensions for known file types."

1. Copy address from mail folders to address and mail lists ?

Dear clever folks,

It is well known that every time you recieve an e-mail from somebody in your
inbox, the address of the sender will be registered in the address book.
Also, if he sent carbon-copies (not Bcc, of course) then the addresses of
these other people will also end in your address book. That is practical if
you later want to contact any of those people.

Now if instead of getting the mail into your inbox, they get sorted (by way
of "Rules") and go straight to some mail folders you created, say "Friends"
or "Uncle Bob" and others, then I have discovered that neither the sender
nor the carbon copy addresses get registrered in the address book.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to have those e-mail addresses that go straight to boxes
like "Uncle Bob" get registered also in the address book when they go in ?
(Including the Carbon copy addresses the sender may have sent).

2. Now that the damage has been done, is there an EASY way to quickly copy
all those addresses from the the self-created folders like Uncle Bobs into
the address book ? I have almost 100 selfcreated folders and it would take
many days of boring work to manually copy those addresses into the address
book.

3. I have mailing lists. If there is a solution to question 2, then is it
also possible to copy those folder addresses (or selected addresses)
directly to a mailing list instead of to the address book ? Like "Address
book 2" or "Peters newsletter" ?

I hope you understand me and can help me.

Peter

--
Peter Str?mgren
Klassisk guitarist

2. virus hoax

3. unwanted e-mail addresses get listed in my address-book

4. different resolutions for different users

5. I am compiling a list of authoring tools for ActionMedia/DVI

6. Other Language Input Method ?

7. I am looking for a way to list all security from a NTFS filesystem.

8. Microsoft Windows CE .NET with Microsoft Platform Builder version 4.0

9. Question: I am getting IP address conflict error msg.

10. Pan Am Song ( was missing on my previous post" On Pan Am wings" )

11. Am trying to do my first routing and am failing miserably...

12. addresses dropped from DVI Mailing List

13. Bad addresses removed from DVI-List