Mail rules setting "mark as read" and new mail icon

Mail rules setting "mark as read" and new mail icon

Post by Neil » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:59:13

In OE6 I've got a mail rule for spam (marked by K9) that
just moves the mail to a folder and marks it as read.
Whenever I receive spam I still get the new mail icon
popping up in the system tray, even though the mail rule
has marked it as read.  To get rid of the icon I have to
actually read an old mail.  This is making the new mail
icon completely useless as I receive about three times as
much spam as real mail.

Similarly, if I receive a mail on one account and read it
before OE has finished downloading from the other
accounts, then I still get the new mail icon despite the
fact I've already read the new mail.

Mail rules setting "mark as read" and new mail icon

Post by Margare » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 01:29:04

Hi Neil,

This is one of those annoying things about OE that, unfortunately, you just
have to live with.  I've learned to completely ignore the "new mail"
envelope and just look at the folder list to see if any of the folders
appear in bold.
--
Margaret
MSMVP

:
: Similarly, if I receive a mail on one account and read it
: before OE has finished downloading from the other
: accounts, then I still get the new mail icon despite the
: fact I've already read the new mail.
:
:

1. Outlook Express deletes read mail..leaves messages marked as "unread"

While in the Inbox click View | Current View and make sure that the option
to Hide read messages is not selected.  Note that checking this while in a
newsgroup is meaningless since news and mail have different settings.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/OE
Please Reply in Newsgroup.  I don't answer email.

2. Files missed in Win95

3. New toolbar icon for "mark all read"

4. wxMSW-wxDialUpManager

5. How delete my "New Mail Rules"

6. How to change disconnect idle time

7. Q: Message rule to download emails without marking them as "read" ?

8. Merci Beaucoup to Kelly & Doug K

9. Outlook express - new mail Icon after processing mail rule

10. "NEW MAIL" PopUp Window VS Taskbar Icon?

11. Marking news message "mark all read "

12. New mail received in "deleted items" and not in "inbox'

13. Failure of mail message rule: "where from line contains....."