Continued Mail Send and Receive Problems with Outlook Express

Continued Mail Send and Receive Problems with Outlook Express

Post by Tom » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:02:41

Hi,

I am using Outlook Express 6.0 on a recently installed XP
operating sytem.  I can access and use the internet via
Internet Explorer, but can't figure out how to get my
Outlook Express to download or send mail from my web
server.  I keep getting the following message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.
Possible causes for this include server problems, network
problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.earthlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Are there programs or firewalls in XP that may be causing
my problem?

Does anyone have any suggesstions on what may be causing
my problem?  I'm befuddled!

Note:  The technical support people with my Internet DSL
provider talked me through setting up my Outlook Express,
so I assume that it is set up correct.

Also, I have already turned off email scanning with
Norton Antivirus.  This didn't help.  Is there an email
scan in XP that may also be causing problems?

Awaiting help,

Tom

Continued Mail Send and Receive Problems with Outlook Express

Post by PA Bea » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:16:54

Disable email scanning (by any anti-virus app) of outgoing and incoming
mail.  It provides no additional protection and even Symantec *used* to say
it wasn't necessary (on this page, prior to being edited on 24 Feb-04:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001082921552806)...

<paste>
Note: Disabling email scanning does not leave you unprotected against
viruses that are distributed as email attachments. NAV Auto-Protect will
scan any incoming files, including email, as they are saved to your hard
drive. Email scanning is just another layer on top of this. To make sure
that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect
enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent
virus definitions.
</paste>
Google cache of the older page: http://snipurl.com/4vee

Error 0x800ccc0d or 0x800ccc0f When Receiving and Sending E-Mail
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.mvps.org/

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

> Hi,

> I am using Outlook Express 6.0 on a recently installed XP
> operating sytem.  I can access and use the internet via
> Internet Explorer, but can't figure out how to get my
> Outlook Express to download or send mail from my web
> server.  I keep getting the following message:

> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.
> Possible causes for this include server problems, network
> problems, or a long period of inactivity.

> Server: 'pop.earthlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

> Are there programs or firewalls in XP that may be causing
> my problem?

> Does anyone have any suggesstions on what may be causing
> my problem?  I'm befuddled!

> Note:  The technical support people with my Internet DSL
> provider talked me through setting up my Outlook Express,
> so I assume that it is set up correct.

> Also, I have already turned off email scanning with
> Norton Antivirus.  This didn't help.  Is there an email
> scan in XP that may also be causing problems?

> Awaiting help,

> Tom

Continued Mail Send and Receive Problems with Outlook Express

Post by Kuay Ti » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:23:21

Hi Tom,

The Earthlink mail server name to use for both incoming and outgoing is
<mail.earthlink.net>.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

> Hi,

> I am using Outlook Express 6.0 on a recently installed XP
> operating sytem.  I can access and use the internet via
> Internet Explorer, but can't figure out how to get my
> Outlook Express to download or send mail from my web
> server.  I keep getting the following message:

> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.
> Possible causes for this include server problems, network
> problems, or a long period of inactivity.

> Server: 'pop.earthlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

> Are there programs or firewalls in XP that may be causing
> my problem?

> Does anyone have any suggesstions on what may be causing
> my problem?  I'm befuddled!

> Note:  The technical support people with my Internet DSL
> provider talked me through setting up my Outlook Express,
> so I assume that it is set up correct.

> Also, I have already turned off email scanning with
> Norton Antivirus.  This didn't help.  Is there an email
> scan in XP that may also be causing problems?

> Awaiting help,

> Tom

Continued Mail Send and Receive Problems with Outlook Express

Post by N. Mille » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:44:20

Quote:> The Earthlink mail server name to use for both incoming and outgoing is
> <mail.earthlink.net>.

Strange. Both 'pop.earthlink.net' and 'mail.earthlink.net' show the same
list of IP addresses when I run them against DNS; either should work.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Post by N. Mille » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:58:01

> I am using Outlook Express 6.0 on a recently installed XP
> operating sytem.  I can access and use the internet via
> Internet Explorer, but can't figure out how to get my
> Outlook Express to download or send mail from my web
> server.  I keep getting the following message:
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.
> Possible causes for this include server problems, network
> problems, or a long period of inactivity.

> Server: 'pop.earthlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
> Are there programs or firewalls in XP that may be causing
> my problem?
> Does anyone have any suggesstions on what may be causing
> my problem?  I'm befuddled!

This is your second post on your problem. May I kindly suggest that, if you
have difficulty navigating these groups from the web site that you set up
MSOE to access <msnews.microsoft.com>? I think you will find that MSOE makes
navigating these groups much easier. Personally, I think the web interface
via CDO is the most abominable invention that I have ever seen. Terrible to
navigate (I've tried it), and hard to find the articles in the groups. Even
when I halfway know what I am looking for. Although I use Gravity, MSOE is a
serviceable news reader.

I mentioned, in my response to your earlier post, that the Internet is not
the same as the World Wide Web. WWW (HTTP/HTTPS) is a part of the Internet,
but your mail server (SMTP/POP3/IMAP4), and this news server (NNTP) are also
part of the Internet.

So you have a DSL connection; have you checked that your modem is not having
difficulty maintaining sync? Was it a self-install, with micro filters? I
had some difficulty in my first couple of weeks because I failed to put a
micro filter on the satellite box's phone connection.

Normally, a firewall shouldn't be a problem. Software firewalls usually ask
you if you want to allow outbound connections for things like web and email.
Unless you deny your mail program access to the Internet, you should be
okay. But that only applies to PFWs like Zona Alarm and Kerio. The ICF
included with Windows XP doesn't monitor outbound connections.

Oh, but you have Norton Antivirus. Is that part of an Internet security
suite? Some Symantec programs include both NAV and something called Norton
Internet Security (NIS). NIS is not included in my Systemworks suite (though
NAV and the Utilities are), so I don't know much about it. But maybe you
should check if you have it, and how it is configured. NIS does perform
outbound connection limits.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

1. Receive/Send mails using Outlook Express through LAN

I was able to configure my Outlook Express on the server. The other 2
computers connected to the server can browse the internet but the Outlook
Express could not be configured. I am getting the message
 "The host 'mail.chrysalishrd.com' could not be found. Please verify that
you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.chrysalishrd.com',
Server: 'mail.chrysalishrd.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

The POP3 and SMTP address mentioned is same as in the server. What could be
the problem.

In the current scenario, everyone uses the server to check the mails. I am
not able to configure the same for the two individual computers.

Please help.

2. SoftImage Release w/ Win95?

3. Outlook Express 6 Receives Mail but Can Not Send It

4. Registry Problem

5. Outlook Express will not receive or send mail, newsgroups

6. OE Corrupted, will not load, also will not "Remove"

7. receiving error message everytime outlook express sends mail

8. Stalling on startup

9. Mail sent from Outlook Express 6 not received

10. Lost Outlook express mail, sent mail, deleted mail,

11. Outlook won't send mail from outbox but will receive mail...

12. Outlook, Outlook Express can't send or receive email

13. Outlook Express Mail: Unable to Send Mail