Enabling Scripting, can't view pics or gif files

Enabling Scripting, can't view pics or gif files

Post by Sue » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:33:26

I am having a problem with viewing pictures and gif files
on e-mail. I am getting an error message on the page the
image is supposed to be viewed on.
The message is
"The Outlook Express slideshow cannot be displayed unless
scripting is enabled. You need to turn on scripting in the
zone you read mail in. Look under tools/options/security
to set securtiy in a particular zone".

I have tried lowering my settings, enabling everything,
however I have not been successful. I need specific
instructions.  Does anyone know what I am supposed to set
in the settings to turn this on?

Enabling Scripting, can't view pics or gif files

Post by Sonja Rothaup » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:16:49

Hi Sue,

go to Internet Explorer / Tools / Internet Options / security / and change
the controller for the zone "Internet" to the standard setting "medium-low"
or "low". Close the programme.

Then go to OE tools/options/security and set to "Internet zone" zone (not to
restrcited sites...).

Restart OE-- now it should work...

Keep in mind that this setting is less secure and thus you have less
protection working online. I would recommend to use this setting only when
you work offline and are sure that the email does not contain viruses. When
you are done, go back to the old settings: IE -- at least medium setting for
Internet zone, OE -- zone for restricted sites.

Hope this helps. Sonja

Quote:> I am having a problem with viewing pictures and gif files
> on e-mail. I am getting an error message on the page the
> image is supposed to be viewed on.
> The message is
> "The Outlook Express slideshow cannot be displayed unless
> scripting is enabled. You need to turn on scripting in the
> zone you read mail in. Look under tools/options/security
> to set securtiy in a particular zone".

> I have tried lowering my settings, enabling everything,
> however I have not been successful. I need specific
> instructions.  Does anyone know what I am supposed to set
> in the settings to turn this on?

Enabling Scripting, can't view pics or gif files

Post by Sue » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:43:44

Hello Sonja,
Ok I have done this and I am still getting the same
message; however, now I can double click the email and it
will open, the error is still there but I can open the
picture with a lot of clicking to get them.
I think the OE 6 does not support the slideshow from what
I have read. Is there a way to turn the slide show off and
still get my attachments without these errors? I get
pictures daily from parents on a baseball team, so I can
add them to their website. This can be really annoying.
Thank you,
Sue
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Sue,

>go to Internet Explorer / Tools / Internet Options /

security / and change
Quote:>the controller for the zone "Internet" to the standard

setting "medium-low"
Quote:>or "low". Close the programme.

>Then go to OE tools/options/security and set to "Internet
zone" zone (not to
>restrcited sites...).

>Restart OE-- now it should work...

>Keep in mind that this setting is less secure and thus
you have less
>protection working online. I would recommend to use this
setting only when
>you work offline and are sure that the email does not

contain viruses. When
>you are done, go back to the old settings: IE -- at least
medium setting for
>Internet zone, OE -- zone for restricted sites.

>Hope this helps. Sonja

>> I am having a problem with viewing pictures and gif
files
>> on e-mail. I am getting an error message on the page the
>> image is supposed to be viewed on.
>> The message is
>> "The Outlook Express slideshow cannot be displayed
unless
>> scripting is enabled. You need to turn on scripting in
the
>> zone you read mail in. Look under tools/options/security
>> to set securtiy in a particular zone".

>> I have tried lowering my settings, enabling everything,
>> however I have not been successful. I need specific
>> instructions.  Does anyone know what I am supposed to
set
>> in the settings to turn this on?

>.

Enabling Scripting, can't view pics or gif files

Post by Tom Koc » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:51:59

Quote:> Hello Sonja,
> Ok I have done this and I am still getting the same
> message; however, now I can double click the email and it
> will open, the error is still there but I can open the
> picture with a lot of clicking to get them.
> I think the OE 6 does not support the slideshow from what
> I have read. Is there a way to turn the slide show off and
> still get my attachments without these errors?

You are correct about the slide show, and it is because you have the
registry entries for it left over from hacking the registry under OE5
that you are now seeing a scripting error. See this for instructions on
removing the registry entries:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe5/faqs/how.htm#slideshow
--
----Please post questions and replies in the newsgroups----
Tom Koch MVP

Enabling Scripting, can't view pics or gif files

Post by Sue » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:17:50

I understand what your site is saying however, I have a
question. The Internet Explorer that I had in my computer
was 4.01 I didn't hack anything, so that leads me to this:
When I upgraded to the 6 I had the problem with the e-
mail. I tried to figure it out and couldn't so I tried to
remove by selecting to go back to original settings. When
I did this I had no address book (prompt said it was not
their) so I called my internet provider to check to see
what the folders name was so I could try to reinstall it.
He told me to search the cd and click on win32 then click
on IE. Well, this win32 does not even exist. What did
exist was Eudora, I think it is either a e-mail client, or
a dial up something. The tech told me that that is not
what is supposed to be on the disk (which I got from my
provider that is located here in my town). Could this be
the problem? Also I would like to know if I follow the
steps on the site seeing that I had 4.01, are the actions
the same? All I know what is supposed to be on this disk
what is stated on the front is not what any of the folders
say.

-
>Tom Koch MVP
>Awareness is free.
>Inside Outlook Express:   www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE

>.

Enabling Scripting, can't view pics or gif files

Post by Tom Koc » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:03:34

Quote:> I understand what your site is saying however, I have a
> question. The Internet Explorer that I had in my computer
> was 4.01 I didn't hack anything,

Ah, that explains it then. The slideshow *was* a part of OE4, so those
values were in your registry when you upgraded. I should think that
upgrading from OE4 to OE6 should have removed those automatically, but
apparently it didn't. So yes, you should follow the instructions to
remove those 2 registry values.

Quote:> When I upgraded to the 6 I had the problem with the e-
> mail. I tried to figure it out and couldn't so I tried to
> remove by selecting to go back to original settings. When
> I did this I had no address book (prompt said it was not
> their)

That is not too surprising. The OE address book was changed starting
with version 5.01 to add support for Unicode. Earlier versions of OE,
such as OE4, cannot read the address book from OE5.01, 5.5 or 6. When
you upgraded from OE4 to OE6, the address book was upgraded
automatically also. Uninstalling OE6 did not revert the address book,
although it seems to me that it should have. However I've never tested
the upgrade/revert process from OE4 directly to OE6.

Quote:> so I called my internet provider to check to see
> what the folders name was so I could try to reinstall it.

Now that you've found these newsgroups, you should always ask your
Windows-related questions here. ISPs are notoriously, er, well, let's
just say, "challenged" when it comes to answering any questions not
directly related to their dialup numbers. ;-)

Quote:> Also I would like to know if I follow the
> steps on the site seeing that I had 4.01, are the actions
> the same?

Yes. Remove those 2 registry values and your OE should preview images
again, although not as a slideshow, just one image below another.
--
----Please post questions and replies in the newsgroups----
Tom Koch MVP
Awareness is free.
Inside Outlook Express:   www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE

Enabling Scripting, can't view pics or gif files

Post by Sue » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:56:57

Ok I am there but I don't see (or better yet understand
the {GUID} is that supposed to be listed? it is notwhat I
have is:
H_KEY_CURENT USER, I click the plus sign then go to
identities, click it and this is what I have
default user id (with large number)
identity ordinal (with numbers)
last user id (with numbers)
last user identity "main identity"
migrated5
What is the {GUID} is that what I am supposed to click on?
because I don't see it.
Sue

Post by Tom Koc » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 00:12:46

Quote:> Ok I am there but I don't see (or better yet understand
> the {GUID} is that supposed to be listed?

GUID stands for "Global Unique IDentifier". It's a long number used
internally by Windows for an Identity. Every Identity will have a unique
number.

Quote:> H_KEY_CURENT USER, I click the plus sign then go to
> identities, click it and this is what I have
> default user id (with large number)
> identity ordinal (with numbers)
> last user id (with numbers)
> last user identity "main identity"
> migrated5
> What is the {GUID} is that what I am supposed to click on?
> because I don't see it.

No, you're looking in the right-hand pane when you get to
HKCU\Identities. Click the plus sign next to Identities in the left pane
and you'll see the GUID sub-keys under that. Look here for a screenshot,
the 2nd picture, The GUID Sub-keys:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE/files/reg_IDkeys.htm
Click on the GUID sub-key and then you'll see which Identity it is in
the right pane. When you find your Identity's GUID, open its sub-folders
until you get to the one with the slide show values, as described on the
slideshow FAQ:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE/faqs/how.htm#slideshow