Cannot open "Tools,Internet Options" ("option cancelled")

Cannot open "Tools,Internet Options" ("option cancelled")

Post by rp » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 17:08:33

From within IE6 (sp1), when I click on "Tools, Internet options" I get
this error box instead of the menu:

"This option has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
computer. Please contact your system administrator"

I can, however access this menu from the Control Panel, and it has
always worked in the past inside IE, can't think of anything I changed
lately...

Using W2k, SP3

RP

Cannot open "Tools,Internet Options" ("option cancelled")

Post by Alan Edward » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 17:47:09

Use Regedit.exe and search for NoBrowserOptions and remove it.
It is most likely to be here (but not necessarily)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions
If you are unfamiliar with Regedit, then ensure you know how to
restore your Registry in case of error and it is a good to export any
key before deleting.

Check the startup (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab) for any unknown
items if it is reset on reboot.

You might try this snippet from Mike Burgess first if you use SpyBot:
'Did you by chance run SpyBot's Immunize feature?
If so, you can unlock by unchecking the option to "Protect IE Control
Panel" '

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, "rp"

>From within IE6 (sp1), when I click on "Tools, Internet options" I get
>this error box instead of the menu:

>"This option has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
>computer. Please contact your system administrator"

>I can, however access this menu from the Control Panel, and it has
>always worked in the past inside IE, can't think of anything I changed
>lately...

>Using W2k, SP3

>RP

Cannot open "Tools,Internet Options" ("option cancelled")

Post by rp » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:42:22

Quote:> >From within IE6 (sp1), when I click on "Tools, Internet options" I
get
> >this error box instead of the menu:

> >"This option has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
> >computer. Please contact your system administrator"
> You might try this snippet from Mike Burgess first if you use SpyBot:
> 'Did you by chance run SpyBot's Immunize feature?
> If so, you can unlock by unchecking the option to "Protect IE Control
> Panel" '

Alan:
Wow, thank you (and Mike), that was exactly it, I forgot I had checked
that box in Spybot. It was weeks ago so forgot all about it and really
didn't realize what it would do.

RP