Can the SMTP path (port 25) be traced on my PC??

Can the SMTP path (port 25) be traced on my PC??

Post by Philippe [Switzerland » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:47:23

Hi there,

Whenever I'm sending out mails with a large "load", it
takes much too long to be transmitted (vs. my upload
speed I've subscribed and also obtaining (ping-test)!

So I'm now wondering if my outbound data-flow is
still passing first via my old anti-virus sw...but which
it thought I had completely deleted long time ago!!

Indeed, no trace left (on my OS) of Norton, McAfee...
So I'd like to know if there's "another way" for me now
to find out if my data are being slowed down by this
"ghost" AV, so that I can "somehow" delete any pos-
sible "remains" of it which might be still involved??

Your assistance would be highly appreciated; thanks.

Philippe

Can the SMTP path (port 25) be traced on my PC??

Post by Jim Pickerin » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:15:34

If you are sending messages with a large number of attachments (or embedded
files) you should be aware the file of the complete message will increase
approximately 30% due to the requirement to encode the message as ASCII text
for transmission via the internet.  Also your ISP may have some filtering
with large messages and that would be the most appropriate place to begin
asking questions.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
Please reply to newsgroup only.