Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by - 781 » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:35:04

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Mike Danie » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:50:01

Quote:> Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
> removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> Thanks
> gino

Welcome to the commercial www. The only consolation, it that most of the
companies doing the advertising will be out of business soon since they
can't make money.

Mike

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Michael Bar » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:21:52

Hi Gino,

Yeah, this is becomming a real problem - but it isn't likely to go away
anytime soon :(

The only way to completely avoid it is to disable JavaScript in your web
browser - but many sites use JS for normal functions - so it's not
necessarily a good idea.

I know you don't want to use software - but have a llok at this one - it
gives you the option to open a site with or without pop-ups by using the
right mouse button....

http://www.panicware.com/product_dpps.html

Good luck !

Michael

Quote:> Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop
up
> removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> Thanks
> gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Will Denn » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:57:46

Hi

Try POW from www.analogx.com - gets rid of all the 'nasties'.

Will

Quote:> Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop
up
> removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> Thanks
> gino

---

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Lloydi » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 02:19:20

Download AD-AWARE

Sounds like you have some * ad supported software running, Morpheus etc
?

Quote:> Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop
up
> removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> Thanks
> gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Sue J. Thoma » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:04:59

Hi,
No, you are not going mad, but if it doesn't stop you will 8\
soooo, I use Noads  http://www.firase.com/
which is easy to use and doesn't shutdown pages you really
want too often, and also provides for updates from their site via an update
button in the program.
Good Luck,
Sue

Quote:> Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop
up
> removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> Thanks
> gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Mike Burges » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:18:31

Lloydie,
If you read Gino's post carefully you'll see that they have been struck by the "x10.com" web bug. By clearing out the TIF (cache), and using a good HOSTS file you can stop all those kinds of * ad trackers. The trick is to prevent the 3rd party ad server from being contacted when you access a web page that contains the HTML code and\or javascript.

Blocking Ads with a Hosts File:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Blocking Cookies with IE 6:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
_____________________________
Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> Download AD-AWARE

> Sounds like you have some * ad supported software running, Morpheus etc
> ?

> > Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> > I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> > Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> > I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> > And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> > example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> > Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop
> up
> > removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> > Thanks
> > gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Mike Burges » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:23:38

Sue,
You might want to give AdShield [freeware] a try ..........
AdShield only runs when IE is open and doesn't use any system Resources.

I maintain an updated "block.txt" on my site that you can use (download) to
keep AdShield current. (works in WinME\XP)
http://www.adshield.org/
_____________________________
http://members.home.net/winhelp98/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> Hi,
> No, you are not going mad, but if it doesn't stop you will 8\
> soooo, I use Noads  http://www.firase.com/
> which is easy to use and doesn't shutdown pages you really
> want too often, and also provides for updates from their site via an update
> button in the program.
> Good Luck,
> Sue

> > Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> > I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> > Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> > I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> > And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> > example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> > Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop
> up
> > removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> > Thanks
> > gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Jim Byr » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:40:31

To all - If the X10 stuff particularly is a problem take a look at this:
http://www.rebug.org/read/18.html  Good
stuff, and just evil enough (given X10) to really please.  {;>)   Regards,
Jim Byrd

Quote:> Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop
up
> removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> Thanks
> gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Mike Burges » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:12:23

Jim,
That trick only works until the next time you clean out your Cookies.
Why even allow x10.com to even read your drive to see if that (opt-out) Cookie
exists? It's much better (IMO) to block their servers from gaining access at all.
_____________________________
Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
http://members.home.net/winhelp98/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> To all - If the X10 stuff particularly is a problem take a look at this:
> http://www.rebug.org/read/18.html  Good
> stuff, and just evil enough (given X10) to really please.  {;>)   Regards,
> Jim Byrd

> > Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> > I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> > Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> > I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> > And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> > example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> > Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop
> up
> > removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> > Thanks
> > gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Jack A » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:25:48

Blocking the x10.com web site prevents one from using the site
to order stuff other than the digital camera.

www.X10.com was a popular online site *before* other sites started
promoting it with X10 camera ads.

j. ak

Jim,
That trick only works until the next time you clean out your Cookies.
Why even allow x10.com to even read your drive to see if that (opt-out) Cookie
exists? It's much better (IMO) to block their servers from gaining access at all.
_____________________________
Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
http://members.home.net/winhelp98/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--
<...>

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Mike Burges » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 06:51:29

Jack,
Ya gotta ask yourself ......... do I really want to buy anything
from a company that uses these kina of tactics? I don't ....
_____________________________
Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
http://members.home.net/winhelp98/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> Blocking the x10.com web site prevents one from using the site
> to order stuff other than the digital camera.

> www.X10.com was a popular online site *before* other sites started
> promoting it with X10 camera ads.

> j. ak

> Jim,
> That trick only works until the next time you clean out your Cookies.
> Why even allow x10.com to even read your drive to see if that (opt-out) Cookie
> exists? It's much better (IMO) to block their servers from gaining access at all.
> _____________________________
> Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
> Information isn't free if you can't find it!
> http://members.home.net/winhelp98/
> Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
> --
> <...>

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by - 781 » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:57:45

I thank you and all that have replied regarding this issue.
You said that by adding addresses for hosts my pc would become faster ...
I aggree to this because it wouldn't open the site ...
but this address http://www.veryComputer.com/
the 2nd paragraph, that it will still look for the address, and will stop
looking when a busy signal comes up .. Would this slow down my connection?
How long does it take for the pc to get the busy signal?
And second question ... do I just substitute my own hosts file with this
one... and done?
Thanks again all of you for your input.
gino

Lloydie,
If you read Gino's post carefully you'll see that they have been struck by
the "x10.com" web bug. By clearing out the TIF (cache), and using a good
HOSTS file you can stop all those kinds of * ad trackers. The trick is
to prevent the 3rd party ad server from being contacted when you access a
web page that contains the HTML code and\or javascript.

Blocking Ads with a Hosts File:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Blocking Cookies with IE 6:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
_____________________________
Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> Download AD-AWARE

> Sounds like you have some * ad supported software running, Morpheus
etc
> ?

> > Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> > I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> > Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> > I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> > And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> > example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> > Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any
Pop
> up
> > removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> > Thanks
> > gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by - 781 » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:22:21

Thanks Mike .. All I have to say is "Wow".
This hosts file is the perfect "tool" to stop adds, pop ups .. etc.
I havn't had any pop ups for past hour or so... In past I would probably
have ten or so popups bugging me .. but now they are gone.
Thanks Mike again.
gino

Lloydie,
If you read Gino's post carefully you'll see that they have been struck by
the "x10.com" web bug. By clearing out the TIF (cache), and using a good
HOSTS file you can stop all those kinds of * ad trackers. The trick is
to prevent the 3rd party ad server from being contacted when you access a
web page that contains the HTML code and\or javascript.

Blocking Ads with a Hosts File:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Blocking Cookies with IE 6:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
_____________________________
Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> Download AD-AWARE

> Sounds like you have some * ad supported software running, Morpheus
etc
> ?

> > Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
> > I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
> > Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
> > I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
> > And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
> > example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
> > Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any
Pop
> up
> > removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
> > Thanks
> > gino

Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Post by Jim Byr » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:17:23

The problem Mike is that their Opt out is only for 30 days, AND it doesn't
prevent their web bugs other places from using any of their pre-existing
cookies in your cookies folder.  I get rid of all of this stuff anyway using
a combination of AdShield (very effective - highly recommended because the
method they use avoids the multiple click backup requirement you get using
the Host file approach) and Popup Killer.  Regards, Jim Byrd

Jack,
Ya gotta ask yourself ......... do I really want to buy anything
from a company that uses these kina of tactics? I don't ....
_____________________________
Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
http://members.home.net/winhelp98/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

> Blocking the x10.com web site prevents one from using the site
> to order stuff other than the digital camera.

> www.X10.com was a popular online site *before* other sites started
> promoting it with X10 camera ads.

> j. ak

Quote:> Jim,
> That trick only works until the next time you clean out your Cookies.
> Why even allow x10.com to even read your drive to see if that (opt-out)
Cookie
> exists? It's much better (IMO) to block their servers from gaining access
at all.
> _____________________________
> Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP  DTS
> Information isn't free if you can't find it!
> http://members.home.net/winhelp98/
> Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
> --
> <...>

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. acpi.sys

3. The pop-ups the maddening pop-ups!!!

4. SVGA drivers wanted for Win 3.1

5. Pop-ups and Messanger Pop-ups

6. 3c905, "transmit underrun errors", NT4

7. Stopping pop-ups in Windows Media Player

8. remote access

9. MP7 radio question (re pop-ups)

10. Media Payer pop-ups

11. popups, pop-ups, sub windows, sub-windows are not working IE6 SP1

12. IE 6 hangs w/new pop-ups

13. Unwanted pop-ups