IE Repair Tool bug?

Post by Robert Shiffma » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 10:36:24

I had reloaded Win98 onto my new hard drive and downloaded and installed
the latest IE6. Later I had occasion to run the Internet Explorer Repair
Tool. It fixed the problem but blew all driver settings to heck. There
were 10 minutes' worth of "searching for a new driver" messages from
W98, and I had to help find 'em in some cases. One, an "unknown device"
is still popping up. Well, gosh, I don't know either. Two questions:

1. Do I ever dare to run the repair tool again? Whahappen?

2. Is there some way to stop Windows from asking for that cursed unknown
device at every startup?

RS

IE Repair Tool bug?

Post by jack birdson » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:58:06

Robert
1) It's ran every day by many with no problems; no idea what happened to you
2)See if this helps:

How to Use Registry Editor to Identify an Unknown PCI Device
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q298837 If no luck try
here: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/devicmgr.htm

Most links gathered at microsoft.public
Best of luck
Jack

Quote:> I had reloaded Win98 onto my new hard drive and downloaded and
> installed the latest IE6. Later I had occasion to run the Internet
> Explorer Repair Tool. It fixed the problem but blew all driver
> settings to heck. There were 10 minutes' worth of "searching for a
> new driver" messages from W98, and I had to help find 'em in some
> cases. One, an "unknown device" is still popping up. Well, gosh, I
> don't know either. Two questions:

> 1. Do I ever dare to run the repair tool again? Whahappen?

> 2. Is there some way to stop Windows from asking for that cursed
> unknown device at every startup?

> RS

---

IE Repair Tool bug?

Post by Robert Shiffma » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:24:37

Thanks, Jack. I snuck (sneaked?) around no. 2 by feeding the unknown
device any old driver. The system grumbled but accepted it. Kluge? Sure.
If it happens again I'll do the registry thing.

RS

1. IE Repair Tool-replaced scrrun.dll

Original post "Internet Explorer cannot be repaired" of 5/11/03.
Thanks to Henri, Robert and Tony, who made great suggestions, scrrun.dll has
been extracted from Windows Update setup cab files and replaced.  IE Repair
tool works like a charm.  As a newbie, I had never used SFC before, and I'm
quite proud of myself.  Thanks to all of you for your advice.  Tony, the
link you gave me was very helpful, gave step by step instructions, very
necessary for a computer illiterate like me.

Now, a new question.  What could have removed the updated version of
scrrun.dll from the System folder?  Does Scandisk ever cause this?  I had
used Scandisk a couple of days before I discovered that Internet Explorer
Tool had this problem.  It always worked before.  Thanks in advance, and for
previous responses.              charlie R

2. Removing the Build no. Display on the desktop

3. IE Repair Tool??

4. backup/restore

5. IE-6 Repair tool reverts OE-6 to OE-4

6. Screen Savers

7. The IE 6 repair tool

8. Links not working in IE6

9. I.E. Secret Repair Tool!!!!

10. IE Repair Tool

11. Disk repair tools, any tools.

12. IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

13. Annoying bug in IE 5.5 to IE 6.0