uninstalling or disabling internet explorer

uninstalling or disabling internet explorer

Post by dee » Sat, 31 May 2003 03:00:38

i work in a school system and we would like to disable or
uninstall internet explorer on a few computers that will
be used as by students to access the library card
catalog... i've been told that explorer is and integral
part of the system and cannot be uninstalled and no one
seems to know how to disable it... can anyone help?

uninstalling or disabling internet explorer

Post by Karen Fisher [MSFT » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 04:38:52

If the computer is just to be used to access the school's library card
catalog, does it need to be connected to the internet?  The most effective
solution, I would think, would be to disconnect the computer from the
internet.  You could do this either with hardware (disconnect the cord) or
with software (like with a proxy).  If these won't work, you could try to
make it harder for the students to get the program to work.  You could go
into the Tools -> Internet Options window, select the Connections tab,
select LAN settings and then enter jibberish into the proxy settings fields.
This could prevent the students from accessing the internet because they
will be unable to use the proxy settings.  Also on the Connections tab, you
could require IE to dial up to connect if you connect via a LAN or vice
versa.  If these computers use Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you can hide
access to IE by using the Set Windows Access and Defaults dialog (the name
is something like that).  You could also enable the content advisor (on the
Contents tab of Internet Options).  I don't have a solution for you that
completely uninstalls IE but I think there are several ways to make it
unusable to those who are not supposed to use it.

Quote:> i work in a school system and we would like to disable or
> uninstall internet explorer on a few computers that will
> be used as by students to access the library card
> catalog... i've been told that explorer is and integral
> part of the system and cannot be uninstalled and no one
> seems to know how to disable it... can anyone help?

1. Disabled IE Uninstall (not as uninstall from Windows)

I am now using IE 5 as my browser.  I like using it and don't want to
change.  However, as new versions are released, sometimes IE 5 is not
recognized as IE 5.  I wanted to uninstall and then reinstall.  I cannot
do that because I get the message uninstall disabled.  I had IE 3 and then
IE 4 on my computer.
I am running Windows 98
I have a 333 computer with 64
The only help I have seen is for people who want to take IE off completely
and not use it again.

A friend of mine suggested I delete as much as possible.  Then Norton
Utilities would recognize there were files that didn't match and I would
be able to do it that way.  I am writing sort of short hand but hopefully
you understand what I mean.  Is this a good idea?

Is there anything I can do.  Thanks for any help.

I would say although I am not an expert, I understand quite a bit and am
not afraid of the computer at all.

2. Pipes between processes

3. completely uninstalling Internet Explorer 5 on Mac

4. Olympus C-4000 ZOOM problem

5. uninstall Internet Explorer 6

6. Routing TCP/IP with RAS to my workstation

7. internet explorer 6.0 uninstall

8. AOL 7.0 and XP Home

9. UNinstall Internet Explorer 6 : MICROSOFT HELP

10. Uninstall Internet Explorer 6

11. Uninstall of internet explorer

12. Uninstalling Internet Explorer 6

13. How do you uninstall Internet Explorer