email won't view in O.E., but views in web based email

email won't view in O.E., but views in web based email

Post by Leonard F Kieslin » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:40:24

using win 98se, dell xpst-450 desktop, 5+ yrs old. pentIII, 450mhz, 384 ram,
13 gig drive, I.E. 6.0. outlook express 6.00.2800.1106.

i can view this one mail i received, "Pictures To Make You Smile.email",
with my isp's web based email. if i download it into outlook express the
images do not view in the message body, & if i open the attachment, it's
calling up my msn browser which i do not use. the attachment's extension
when selecting the file's properties is .EMA.

is there a way to view this mail in O.E.? i have no problems viewing other
emails i receive.

any input greatly appreciated!
thank you, len kiesling

email won't view in O.E., but views in web based email

Post by PA Bea » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:10:39

Is your anti-virus app configured to scan incoming (and outgoing) mail
(still), Lenmeister?

Is "Pictures To Make You Smile.email" an attachment to the message?

Do you know who sent it to you and have you asked them about this message?
Was it sent using MS Outlook and RTF formatting?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

> using win 98se, dell xpst-450 desktop, 5+ yrs old. pentIII, 450mhz, 384
> ram, 13 gig drive, I.E. 6.0. outlook express 6.00.2800.1106.

> i can view this one mail i received, "Pictures To Make You Smile.email",
> with my isp's web based email. if i download it into outlook express the
> images do not view in the message body, & if i open the attachment, it's
> calling up my msn browser which i do not use. the attachment's extension
> when selecting the file's properties is .EMA.

> is there a way to view this mail in O.E.? i have no problems viewing other
> emails i receive.

> any input greatly appreciated!
> thank you, len kiesling

email won't view in O.E., but views in web based email

Post by Leonard F Kieslin » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:43:23

thanks for reply.

yes, still, email set to scan in & out. norton 2002 AV. sometimes i wonder
what that norton scan even does?
yes, item is an attachment, which i saved to HD-opened-msn browser sign in
box opens. i close out from there. don't want to use msn.
yes i know who sent mail. i believe they use msn's browers email. it's a
forward.
don't know if original source was using. "MS Outlook and RTF formatting". if
they did, & that's the problem, my work around is to view my mails on web,
which i always do first.

thank you, len kiesling aka the lenmeister

> Is your anti-virus app configured to scan incoming (and outgoing) mail
> (still), Lenmeister?

> Is "Pictures To Make You Smile.email" an attachment to the message?

> Do you know who sent it to you and have you asked them about this message?
> Was it sent using MS Outlook and RTF formatting?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

> > using win 98se, dell xpst-450 desktop, 5+ yrs old. pentIII, 450mhz, 384
> > ram, 13 gig drive, I.E. 6.0. outlook express 6.00.2800.1106.

> > i can view this one mail i received, "Pictures To Make You Smile.email",
> > with my isp's web based email. if i download it into outlook express the
> > images do not view in the message body, & if i open the attachment, it's
> > calling up my msn browser which i do not use. the attachment's extension
> > when selecting the file's properties is .EMA.

> > is there a way to view this mail in O.E.? i have no problems viewing
other
> > emails i receive.

> > any input greatly appreciated!
> > thank you, len kiesling

email won't view in O.E., but views in web based email

Post by PA Bea » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:58:32

Disable NAV's Email Protection.  It provides no additional protection, it's
prolly the cause of your problem, and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<paste>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</paste>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106
--
~PA Bear

> thanks for reply.

> yes, still, email set to scan in & out. norton 2002 AV. sometimes i wonder
> what that norton scan even does?
> yes, item is an attachment, which i saved to HD-opened-msn browser sign in
> box opens. i close out from there. don't want to use msn.
> yes i know who sent mail. i believe they use msn's browers email. it's a
> forward.
> don't know if original source was using. "MS Outlook and RTF formatting".
> if they did, & that's the problem, my work around is to view my mails on
> web, which i always do first.

> thank you, len kiesling aka the lenmeister

> > Is your anti-virus app configured to scan incoming (and outgoing) mail
> > (still), Lenmeister?

> > Is "Pictures To Make You Smile.email" an attachment to the message?

> > Do you know who sent it to you and have you asked them about this
> > message? Was it sent using MS Outlook and RTF formatting?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

> > > using win 98se, dell xpst-450 desktop, 5+ yrs old. pentIII, 450mhz,
> > > 384 ram, 13 gig drive, I.E. 6.0. outlook express 6.00.2800.1106.

> > > i can view this one mail i received, "Pictures To Make You
> > > Smile.email", with my isp's web based email. if i download it into
> > > outlook express the images do not view in the message body, & if i
> > > open the attachment, it's calling up my msn browser which i do not
> > > use. the attachment's extension when selecting the file's properties
> > > is .EMA.

> > > is there a way to view this mail in O.E.? i have no problems viewing
> > > other emails i receive.

> > > any input greatly appreciated!
> > > thank you, len kiesling

email won't view in O.E., but views in web based email

Post by Michael Santove » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 03:16:31

A .email (or .ema) or .ezm file is an alternate file extension for an .EML file.  One
option is to save the attachment, then rename with an .EML file name.

Or you can create a file association for .email, .ema or .ezm files.

You can get to File Associations via:
 - My Computer
 - View (Win95/98/NT4/Me) or Tools (Win2000 or WinXP) menu
 - Folder Options (or Options)
 - File Types
 - New Type
 - New
 - Action: OPEN

The application used needs to be:
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE"    /eml:%1

Content Type (MIME) should be:
message/rfc822

Quote:> using win 98se, dell xpst-450 desktop, 5+ yrs old. pentIII, 450mhz, 384 ram,
> 13 gig drive, I.E. 6.0. outlook express 6.00.2800.1106.

> i can view this one mail i received, "Pictures To Make You Smile.email",
> with my isp's web based email. if i download it into outlook express the
> images do not view in the message body, & if i open the attachment, it's
> calling up my msn browser which i do not use. the attachment's extension
> when selecting the file's properties is .EMA.

> is there a way to view this mail in O.E.? i have no problems viewing other
> emails i receive.

> any input greatly appreciated!
> thank you, len kiesling

email won't view in O.E., but views in web based email

Post by Leonard F Kieslin » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:50:11

thank you for replies!
i guess i got used to norton's little box telling me it was scanning. i will
disable. thank you!

changed .email to .eml. email message viewed fine!!

tried to set up a file association. it advised that .email was already being
used.  i can only guess that's why my msn browser opens when opening the
attachment.
i couldn't seem to locate the program on registered file types.at this point
i cancelled out. all is fine. i have no problem changing extension to view
mail attachment, when & if i ever get another mail of that type.

thank you, len kiesling aka the lenmeister

> A .email (or .ema) or .ezm file is an alternate file extension for an .EML
file.  One
> option is to save the attachment, then rename with an .EML file name.

> Or you can create a file association for .email, .ema or .ezm files.

> You can get to File Associations via:
>  - My Computer
>  - View (Win95/98/NT4/Me) or Tools (Win2000 or WinXP) menu
>  - Folder Options (or Options)
>  - File Types
>  - New Type
>  - New
>  - Action: OPEN

> The application used needs to be:
> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE"    /eml:%1

> Content Type (MIME) should be:
> message/rfc822

> --

> Mike - http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm