IE 5.01 Auto Configuration File

Post by Matthe » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

How do I create the Automatic Configuration file that IE5 looks for when you
specify that option and file?  I currently have 400 PC's with IE5 currently
installed, and I don't want to reinstall, all I want to do is create this
file, and point all the machines to it.

IE 5.01 Auto Configuration File

Post by Roy Goodwi » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You'll need IEAK 5 to build it. While there's probably a way to do it
without IEAK, I'd expect it to be at least semi-painful.   You'll also need
a web server (you MIGHT be able to use a UNC & point to a location on your
LAN, but it's NOT addressed in the docs) to store your *.ins file.  Then
once you've built your Auto config file  (*.ins) you need to point you
browsers at it.  Here you have basically two choices: 1 - march around to
every PC fire it up, fire up IE 5 (the *.ins file will work with IE 4 too) &
set the autoconfiguration option appropriately; 2 - write the
autoconfiguration info directly into the registry via LAN Login script {it's
a bit messy as, in my experience , you need to change some security settings
so that the first time IE is started up & it begins to download the cabs for
the autoconfig, your users aren't confronted with a bunch a warning
messages}  I've done both & have the code for to do this {it's Wilson
WindowWare's Winbatch , but I think it could be fairly easily translated to
Windows Script host or other Script language (Kixtart , PERL).  Having said
that,  I'm at home right now & the code is at work, so I'm unable to provide
the code from memory {Memory's the third thing to go & I can't remember what
the other two are}.

Roy Goodwin

> How do I create the Automatic Configuration file that IE5 looks for when
you
> specify that option and file?  I currently have 400 PC's with IE5
currently
> installed, and I don't want to reinstall, all I want to do is create this
> file, and point all the machines to it.

IE 5.01 Auto Configuration File

Post by Aarg » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

look in the branding.cab or search for the install.ins file.

>How do I create the Automatic Configuration file that IE5 looks for when you
>specify that option and file?  I currently have 400 PC's with IE5 currently
>installed, and I don't want to reinstall, all I want to do is create this
>file, and point all the machines to it.

1. IE 5.01 SP2 File you requested is already in your list??????

HI.

I'm getting this message...

The File you requested is already in your list, if you want to
download it again, please remove it from the list first.

This is on Win95. I'm trying to run the I.E. 5.01 SP2 upgrade to
I.E. 5.00.2314 which downloads about 17 meg and at about 16.5 meg
I get this message with an OK button and all I can do is click
OK and it stops with no other explanation.....
When I try it again, it keeps stopping at this message.
Can someone help me get by this please??? What list? How do I

Thanks!!!!

Vern

2. DVD Software Player for Windows2000

3. IE 5.5 and IE 5.01 SP1...

4. Spammers out again?

5. WMP 6.4 with IE 5.01/Netscape 4.7

6. Printing from w9x to XP over Network ?

7. IE 5.01

8. ie progress bar

9. IE 5.0/5.01/5.5 and win 2000 pro (workstation)

10. IE 5.01 removing customized window titlle

11. MS releases information on IE 5.01 finally

12. IE 5.5 vs 5.01

13. Detect and Repair causes IE 5.01 SP 1 to attempt VML Download