OE Identity Login / Switched Identities Application Error

OE Identity Login / Switched Identities Application Error

Post by Chicagoman44 » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:33:48

My identity login also pops up out of no where and I generally log off the
identity, even if I log into an identity it doesn't matter. After this
happens I often get a new error now when I open the desktop icon for OE. This
started when I updated to NIS 2005. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a
couple of times and it hasn't helped yet. I say yet because I just
reinstalled it again.

Identity Login

Another application has the Switched Identities or Identity Login dialog
showing. Choose an identity in that dialog before launching this application
again.

When this error appears I am unable to open OE and have to reboot.

Nothing Symantec has told me so far has done any good at all. They claim
this issue is new to them and they have not received any complaints from
anyone but me.

OE Identity Login / Switched Identities Application Error

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/O » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:51:04

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus.  It provides no added
protection.

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
Published: November 18, 2004
By Tom Koch
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption....

Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
times out.  Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
attachments, which exasperates the problem.
Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off.  Norton invented email
scanning and here's what they say:

"Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e...

"...your computer is protected if Auto-Protect is enabled. Auto-Protect
scans any incoming files, including email attachments, when the files are
saved to your hard drive."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001100907323806

"NAV provides multiple layers of protection. Email scanning is just one of
those layers. Even if you are not running Email Scanning, your computer is
protected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments by NAV
Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect will scan any incoming files, including email
attachments, as they are saved to your hard drive. To make sure that
Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled
and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus
definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf/f7d6cb402f0b7...

See also
http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.shtml

So Symantec used to say this often and clearly.  The newer stuff doesn't
have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment.  If you
know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email

Quote:> My identity login also pops up out of no where and I generally log off the
> identity, even if I log into an identity it doesn't matter. After this
> happens I often get a new error now when I open the desktop icon for OE.
> This
> started when I updated to NIS 2005. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it
> couple of times and it hasn't helped yet. I say yet because I just
> reinstalled it again.

> Identity Login

> Another application has the Switched Identities or Identity Login dialog
> showing. Choose an identity in that dialog before launching this
> application
> again.

> When this error appears I am unable to open OE and have to reboot.

> Nothing Symantec has told me so far has done any good at all. They claim
> this issue is new to them and they have not received any complaints from
> anyone but me.

OE Identity Login / Switched Identities Application Error

Post by Chicagoman44 » Fri, 19 Aug 2005 05:22:01

Mr. Saunders,

I unchecked email scanning in NAV the OE Identity Login still popped up on
my desk top. I also noticed this morning that after NAV scanned my computer
last night it turned off my auto-protect and when I turned it back on this
morning thats when my OE Identity Login appeared on the desk top. I have not
received the Switched Identities login error yet. Sometimes I can go a week
or more and things are fine other times I get that error many times during
the day. My computer is free of viruses and up to date on virus protection as
well as Microsoft updates.

> [...]

> > happens I often get a new error now when I open the desktop icon for OE.
> > This
> > started when I updated to NIS 2005. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it
> > couple of times and it hasn't helped yet. I say yet because I just
> > reinstalled it again.

> > Identity Login

> > Another application has the Switched Identities or Identity Login dialog
> > showing. Choose an identity in that dialog before launching this
> > application
> > again.

> > When this error appears I am unable to open OE and have to reboot.

> > Nothing Symantec has told me so far has done any good at all. They claim
> > this issue is new to them and they have not received any complaints from
> > anyone but me.

OE Identity Login / Switched Identities Application Error

Post by mac » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:57:55

Quote:> Mr. Saunders,

> I unchecked email scanning in NAV the OE Identity Login still popped up on
> my desk top. I also noticed this morning that after NAV scanned my
> computer
> last night it turned off my auto-protect and when I turned it back on this
> morning that's when my OE Identity Login appeared on the desk top. I have
> not
> received the Switched Identities login error yet. Sometimes I can go a
> week
> or more and things are fine other times I get that error many times during
> the day. My computer is free of viruses and up to date on virus protection
> as
> well as Microsoft updates.

Remove Norton! if you can? Here is a free AV program to use:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

The following link to Google search will tell you more on the problems faced
by others?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N285524AB

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. IE/OE.

Post by g.. » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:51:12

> My identity login also pops up out of no where and I generally log off the
> identity, even if I log into an identity it doesn't matter. After this
> happens I often get a new error now when I open the desktop icon for OE. This
> started when I updated to NIS 2005. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a
> couple of times and it hasn't helped yet. I say yet because I just
> reinstalled it again.

> Identity Login

> Another application has the Switched Identities or Identity Login dialog
> showing. Choose an identity in that dialog before launching this application
> again.

> When this error appears I am unable to open OE and have to reboot.

> Nothing Symantec has told me so far has done any good at all. They claim
> this issue is new to them and they have not received any complaints from
> anyone but me.

Hi
I have reported the same problem to Symantec. I have had it since I
upgraded to NIS 2005 too like you. So it is not true that they only
have your report of it. I have seen at least one other report of this
from someone else too.

Symantec keep fobbing me off. They have told me it is a fault in
Outlook Express and to contact Microsoft. This is rubbish. I have run
Outlook Express without this issue for a long time and nothing else has
changed - only NIS. It is clearly an error with NIS.

Like you I have tried everything recommended and nothing resolves it.
Even disabling NIS completely doesn't. I am suspicious, because even
when NIS is disabled, NIS programs are still running as is amply proved
by various NIS log files that continue to get updated. In fact this
annoys me as well as it means my hard disc never sleeps and my back up
verification reports errors as the log files change after dumping.

I am still trying to get Symantec to acknowledge the issue.

OE Identity Login / Switched Identities Application Error

Post by Chicagoman44 » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:12:02

Hello,

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no added
protection. Turn off NAS. Since I have done both of these, things seem to be
okay. Just watch and make sure that Auto-protect is on.

I have also Reregister libraries.  I had read somewhere that updating from
NIS 2004 erases some DLL's. Follow the link below to make some minor repairs
to OE6.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/oerepair.mspx

Good luck