"To Free Up Disk Space OE Can Compact...."

"To Free Up Disk Space OE Can Compact...."

Post by Ted Zarefe » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:30:57

If anyone can answer, much appreciated.   I'm still a little new to OE.  I'm
running OE v6 on XP Home.

Every time I close OE I get a Windows pop-up "To free up disk space, Outlook
Express can compact messages.  This may take up to a few minutes"   The
choices are OK or Cancel.   I always click Cancel because I'm afraid if I
hit OK then my e-mails will get compacted or compressed somehow and I may
never be able to get them again.  There is another check box "Don't show me
this again" but checking it has no effect, I always see it again.

If I were to check OK, then presumably my e-mails would get compacted.  If
that were to occur could I still get and read them using OE or would the
effect be essentially the same as deleting them?

Thanks very much for answers and/or advice.

"To Free Up Disk Space OE Can Compact...."

Post by Bruce Hage » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:39:31

Compacting your folders periodically is a must to keep OE
functioning well and at some point, you may lose all your saved messages if
you don't.

With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to
problems it caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100
OE closings, which you should do. See this for more information:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

And this is a very good option:

Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool
that will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time,
resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
manually. You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
before 100 closings.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

It is still advised to check Work Offline before you compact.

     Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
        ~IB-CA~

Quote:> If anyone can answer, much appreciated.   I'm still a little new to OE.
> I'm running OE v6 on XP Home.

> Every time I close OE I get a Windows pop-up "To free up disk space,
> Outlook Express can compact messages.  This may take up to a few minutes"
> The choices are OK or Cancel.   I always click Cancel because I'm afraid
> if I hit OK then my e-mails will get compacted or compressed somehow and I
> may never be able to get them again.  There is another check box "Don't
> show me this again" but checking it has no effect, I always see it again.

> If I were to check OK, then presumably my e-mails would get compacted.  If
> that were to occur could I still get and read them using OE or would the
> effect be essentially the same as deleting them?

> Thanks very much for answers and/or advice.

"To Free Up Disk Space OE Can Compact...."

Post by Steve Cochra » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:05:49

See here:  www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2  .  Its always a good idea to backup
prior to compacting.

Make sure you also do point 3 on that page.

steve

Quote:> If anyone can answer, much appreciated.   I'm still a little new to OE.
> I'm running OE v6 on XP Home.

> Every time I close OE I get a Windows pop-up "To free up disk space,
> Outlook Express can compact messages.  This may take up to a few minutes"
> The choices are OK or Cancel.   I always click Cancel because I'm afraid
> if I hit OK then my e-mails will get compacted or compressed somehow and I
> may never be able to get them again.  There is another check box "Don't
> show me this again" but checking it has no effect, I always see it again.

> If I were to check OK, then presumably my e-mails would get compacted.  If
> that were to occur could I still get and read them using OE or would the
> effect be essentially the same as deleting them?

> Thanks very much for answers and/or advice.

1. Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

Following frequent advice here, I periodically go offline and compact
folders manually:
File > Folder  > Compact all folders

But sometimes OE gets in a mood where every time I close, even immediately
after "compacting all folders," I still get the box:

"To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages .....
         [ ]  Don't show me this again
  [OK]  [Cancel]  "

It's now in such a mood, and is getting annoying.

(A)  Why is it doing this if I've compacted manually?  And how to make it
stop?

(B) If I check the "Don't show me this again"  will it
      (1)  not try to compact messages upon exiting, or
      (2)  go ahead and compact without asking me?

2. Blue screen appears only for approx 1/2 a second at reboot

3. CD "free space" and "used space"

4. stop error on blue screen

5. can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

6. Date popup from taskbar clock behind taskbar

7. How do I clean "free" disk space in XP?

8. Passport ?

9. Can't install "error" disk full with 55 gb free space .?

10. Disabling "SytemRestore", does not free disk space.

11. Erratic "free disk space"

12. "Windows explorer" "Status bar" doesn't show "free space" for removable disks !?

13. UPS "Run Shutdown Program" & "Battery Meter"?