"Mail Server unavailable" or "Invalid Username & Password "

"Mail Server unavailable" or "Invalid Username & Password "

Post by P. Jayan » Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:03:15

Even after deleting all the entries under Protected Storage System Provider
in the registry, Outlook Express still erratically asks for Username and
Password. But when I bypass O E 6 and contact the Mail Server of my I S P
directly, I am either able to connect and download my mail or it says the
"mail server is busy or unavailable, try later".  This response sounds
reasonable and one doesn't panic.

With O E 6's flat and uniform response of "Invalid Username or Password" for
all situations and popping up a box for entering the Username and Password,
O E merely presses a panic button. User wonders whether the Password has
been changed by some hacker and tries to change it or contact the I S P to
check what has happened.

Can O E not differentiate between "server unavailable" and "invalid Username
or Password"?

P. Jayant

"Mail Server unavailable" or "Invalid Username & Password "

Post by PA Bea » Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:46:26

Post the complete error messages you receive.  The errors appear to be
coming from the mail server, not OE.
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx

> Even after deleting all the entries under Protected Storage System
> Provider in the registry, Outlook Express still erratically asks for
> Username and Password. But when I bypass O E 6 and contact the Mail
> Server of my I S P directly, I am either able to connect and download my
> mail or it says the "mail server is busy or unavailable, try later".
> This response sounds reasonable and one doesn't panic.

> With O E 6's flat and uniform response of "Invalid Username or Password"
> for all situations and popping up a box for entering the Username and
> Password, O E merely presses a panic button. User wonders whether the
> Password has been changed by some hacker and tries to change it or
> contact the I S P to check what has happened.

> Can O E not differentiate between "server unavailable" and "invalid
> Username or Password"?

1. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

We need to lock a CROM(s) in a NT Workstation. One idea suggested that
we find a jumper on the back of this SCSI CDROM and tie it in with the
keyboard lock switch. HOWEVER the CDROM(s) we are using do not have
such a jumper.

Anyone out there willing a write a driver to lock CDROM(s) or know
where to find such a utility ?

2. Scrolling

3. "New Message", "Send Page" & "Send a Link" from IE6

4. Application Quick Launch Pad

5. "Server Busy" - "Switch to"/"Retry" Problem

6. SAM error in Event Viewer

7. ??? "Unofficial IP Address" --- "Proxy Server" VS "Windows2000Server" ???

8. Fault in dos extender????

9. Error messages : "Invalid Character" & "Object expected".

10. "Drive A Not Found" & "Invalid Disk Change" ???

11. WANTED """ NT 3.51 Training Videos """" WANTED

12. "identity password" issue which requires the "File / Exit & Logoff Identity"

13. wmp copy to cd """ error """