IBM Adds Mwave OS/2 Support and Expands Functionality

Post by eruff.. » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 04:52:16

 IBM Adds Mwave OS/2 Support and Expands Functionality

 April 11, 1994

 IBM's Microelectronics Division today announced that its popular
 Mwave* Technology platform now runs under the OS/2* 2.1 operating
 system environment.  In addition, it has added significant new
 functionality through software upgrades in the areas of communications,
 audio, voice and video.  Both moves bring the benefits of Mwave to a
 broader range of OEM customers and end users.

 Already available in the Windows** environment, Mwave is one of the
 first open hardware and software subsystems based on digital signal
 processing (DSP) technology.  The platform can be upgraded in the
 field simply through software.

 Mwave audio software supports the MMPM/2* (Multimedia Presentation
 Manager) interface in OS/2 to provide industry standard functions for
 multimedia applications, including audio record, playback, data
 compression, audio synthesis and audio mixing.  In the Windows
 environment, Mwave supports the equivalent Windows MCI (Media Control
 Interface).  In addition, Mwave's OS/2 support extends to most Mwave
 audio capabilities already on the market as well as those being
 announced today.

 Added benefits of OS/2 support include customers' ability to use Mwave
 software developed for Windows 3.1 in the WIN-OS/2 subsystem that is
 part of OS/2 2.1, while application developers can use the Mwave
 Developers Kit (MDK) from Intermetrics in an OS/2 2.1 environment.

                       Host of New Functions

 Mwave continues to expand its software portfolio and upgrade existing
 applications.  The new capabilities cover communications, audio, voice
 and video functionality.

                    Communications Capabilities

 Mwave now supports new standards that enable improved performance for
 fax and modem transmission, which is especially important for the
 increasing number of people using mobile communications.

                         Audio Capabilities

 -- Extension of wave table synthesis - a method that represents
    instruments more realistically than generating them mathematically -
    to employ 16 voices for better musical synthesis on computers.
    Mwave is one of the first DSP systems to be able to improve
    synthesizer sound without needing to add hardware.  When the wave
    table synthesis is combined with Mwave's 5 megabytes of sample
    store, music sound quality is comparable to 24- and 32-voice sound
    systems.
 -- Mwave is among the first DSP-based systems to support the Microsoft
    Windows Sound System** which ensures that applications written to
    Windows Sounds System, such as voice recognition and audio
    recorder, will now run on Mwave.
 -- Additional Qsound special effects for music enthusiasts to enhance
    Mwave's compact disk audio system.

                         Voice Capabilities

 -- "Smart line" feature that differentiates between incoming voice
    and incoming fax calls for telephone answering systems hooked up
    to computers.
 -- Full-duplex speaker phone which enables people at each end of a
    speaker phone to talk and hear at the same time, allowing a more
    natural conversation flow than is available through half-duplex
    speaker phones.

                         Video Capabilities

 -- VFW (Video for Windows) JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group)
    code that enables personal computer users to achieve high-quality
    video compression at a rate two to three times faster than what is
    available under standard Windows.

    Because the Mwave architecture is flexible and open, these and
    other new features can be quickly and easily integrated onto PC
    motherboards or add-in boards.

                          Availability

 Mwave on OS/2 2.1 audio functions will be available at the end of
 April and there will be no additional charge.  All other functions
 and features are available today.

 *  Trademark or registered trademark of International Business
    Machines Corporation.

 ** Trademark or registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.

Order: 1-800-3IBM-OS2
Multimedia info: 1-800-486-9402
IBM Service: 1-800-992-4777

Post by ga » Fri, 15 Apr 1994 10:39:07

>  IBM Adds Mwave OS/2 Support and Expands Functionality

>... etc
>                           Availability

>  Mwave on OS/2 2.1 audio functions will be available at the end of
>  April and there will be no additional charge.  All other functions
>  and features are available today.

>  *  Trademark or registered trademark of International Business
>     Machines Corporation.

>  ** Trademark or registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.

> Order: 1-800-3IBM-OS2
> Multimedia info: 1-800-486-9402
> IBM Service: 1-800-992-4777

 Is this going to be available for ftp or ???

Gregg Hungerford - Boulder Creek CA (Multimedia: ftp netcom.com - cd /pub/gah)

1. ?Audiovation (IBM MWAVE) adapter support in NT 3.51/4.0

Have an IBM PS/2 Model 95XP still chugging away in a back end
application with a user and recently threw in an IBM Audiovation/A
(IBM "MWAVE" board) MCA adapter for audio.  Works very well in Windows
3.11 with drivers off of IBM's website.  Was wondering if anyone knew
of a driver for this board supporting NT4.0 (or NT3.51 which should be
compatible with NT4.0 as its just a soundcard).

Any help appreciated, thanks.

--
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Mike F. Santangelo, Dept. Head-Computer & Network Systems, UMCEES/CBL Solomons

2. Start Menu / Accessing some Favorites

3. Team OS/2 - Rebels without a cause, or IBM support.

4. saving in .mht format?

5. IBM MWave Audio Problems with NetMeeting - I know you're out there!!!

6. How to use RAPI without serial ports

7. IBM Aptiva L-20 Mwave modem doesn't work with netmeeting

8. Windows95b

9. MWave IBM MMM+ Uninstall - How?

10. Use of Cooltalk with Nav.Gold and IBM Mwave

11. driver update for ibm mwave modem

12. IBM ThinkPad 755Ce, Win 95, MWave Multi-media

13. expanding apache server side functionality