WM9 Encoder Drop frames like crazy ?

Post by leonl.. » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 06:00:27

I was doing an encoding for a Video and found out that
WM9 encoder will drop frames (200/2400) if it can't fit the frame into
the bitrate been set or it just can't make that frame high quality
enough to meet user setting, it simply drop it ....

I think this is terrible, this actually makes the result WMV
jittery ....

I have used Divx to encode Video, this would not happen in DivX,
Somehow DivX will handle the bitrate problem and still incorporate
the problematic frame into Video stream.

I mean WM9 encoder can just simply lower down the quality for that certain
frame and still incorporate it into video stream instead of just dropping
it.

Any other option to set to prevent this from happening in WM9 encoder ?
Any comment on this from Microsoft ?

Leon Lien

WM9 Encoder Drop frames like crazy ?

Post by Michael Patten [MS » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:59:25

Leon,

You can edit the profile and reduce the Video Smoothness by selecting the
compression tab and pressing Edit.  Next, select the bit rate tab and adjust
the Video Smoothness setting.  Briefly summarized, you have a trade-off
between sharpness and smoothness.  If the bit rate selected is not high
enough to "fill" all of the frames, the codec choose to drop the frames.
You can lower the smoothness setting which will reduce the quality, but will
ensure all of the frames are filled.  This results in a smoother image.  At
higher bit rates, this is less of an issue since even at the highest
setting, there are enough bits to fill all the frames.  Another option is to
reduce the output size.

Michael [MSFT]

Quote:> I was doing an encoding for a Video and found out that