Play ASF from local drive w/ embed WMP on IE5 + Mac OSX -- How?

Play ASF from local drive w/ embed WMP on IE5 + Mac OSX -- How?

Post by Takash » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:27:41

Apology for wide distribution.

I have a HTML includes an embedded WMP7 to playback some ASF clips stored on
my local drive (actually CD-R media). This is something like a
"Music-Sampler CD".  It has links to each clips and playback (preview)
pages.  I want to make this CD is acceptable for either Windows and Mac
OSX/Classic users. And I'm attempting to support IE5 and higher only on each
OSs but not NN or others.

First I had made a code as attached below, and this worked on Windows only.

<embed TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="228" autostart="1"
src="clip1.asf"></embed>

I've learn that a trick is required on Mac to access local clips, so I
modified this code for Mac users as below.

<embed TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="228" autostart="1"
src="file://Volume_CD:clips:clip1.asf"></embed>

Actually I used document.write() to generate above code to dynamically
resolve actual folder path.
Now this works fine on Mac OS 9.2. But this doesn't work on Mac OSX (10.2).
I tried to modify file path like as file://Volume_CD/clips/clip1.asf  or
file:///Volumes/Volume_CD/clips/clip1.asf or
file:///Volumes:Volume_CD:clips:clip1.asf, but no luck.

How can I solve my problem?
any input would be highly appreciated.
TK

Play ASF from local drive w/ embed WMP on IE5 + Mac OSX -- How?

Post by TK » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:40:52

I could figured out my issue by myself. A fact I found is that I have to
care for four options to access media contents by embedded WMP. Assume that
the HTML file and the ASF file are located same folder in following all
cases.

1. Read from Web server.
This case, my web page can be accessed by generic URL like as
http://myserver/sample.htm.  I don't have to have pathname within the SRC
attribute. Just I can use embed tag as...
<embed TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="228" autostart="1"
SRC="clip1.asf"></embed>

2. Read from File server.
This case, my web page can be accessed by file: protocol like as
file://localhost/Volumes/Share/sample.htm. I can get web page's location
from window.location.href. And I have to modify this pathname as ...
<embed TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="228" autostart="1"
SRC="file://Share:clip1.asf"></embed>

3. Read from local HD.
This case, my web page is accessed by file: protocol like as
file://localhost/Users/User1/DeskTop/sample.htm. I have to modify its
pathname to be...
<embed TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="228" autostart="1"
SRC="file://myHD:Users:User1:DeskTop:clip1.asf"></embed>

4. Read from local CD-ROM volume.
This case is very similer to above option #3.

I could separated these cases but met with one big problem.
In above #3 senario, I can not detect my hard drive's volume name (ie
"myHD") from the pathname string which will be reported from
window.location.href property. I have similer problem in case #4, but in
this case, the name of CD-ROM volume will come from the volume name of CD-R
media which to be named by myself. Therefore, I can have static pathname in
the <embed> tag in case #4.

My question is, how can I detect the name of local HD volume in the case #3?
Any input would be appreciated.
TK

Quote:> Apology for wide distribution.

> I have a HTML includes an embedded WMP7 to playback some ASF clips stored
on
> my local drive (actually CD-R media). This is something like a
> "Music-Sampler CD".  It has links to each clips and playback (preview)
> pages.  I want to make this CD is acceptable for either Windows and Mac
> OSX/Classic users. And I'm attempting to support IE5 and higher only on
each
> OSs but not NN or others.

> First I had made a code as attached below, and this worked on Windows
only.

> <embed TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="228"
autostart="1"
> src="clip1.asf"></embed>

> I've learn that a trick is required on Mac to access local clips, so I
> modified this code for Mac users as below.

> <embed TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="228"
autostart="1"
> src="file://Volume_CD:clips:clip1.asf"></embed>

> Actually I used document.write() to generate above code to dynamically
> resolve actual folder path.
> Now this works fine on Mac OS 9.2. But this doesn't work on Mac OSX
(10.2).
> I tried to modify file path like as file://Volume_CD/clips/clip1.asf  or
> file:///Volumes/Volume_CD/clips/clip1.asf or
> file:///Volumes:Volume_CD:clips:clip1.asf, but no luck.

> How can I solve my problem?
> any input would be highly appreciated.
> TK

1. Embedding asx, asf, or mp3 files and playing on a Mac with WMP

I recently downloaded and installed the WMP vs 6.3 player on an iMac.  When
I point to an audio file (.asx) (via an embedded asx file in an href tag),
the player copies the asx file to the desktop, brings up the WMP and then
starts to look for the site to get audio.  Currently I don't get audio, but
I think this has to do with network firewall problems, which I must deal
with later.

I've seen notices on the microsoft.windowsmedia.player.mac.beta group that
embedded features of WMP7 for the Mac have not yet been implemented, but
does this apply to Mac WMP vs 6.3 as well?

Are asx files copied to the desktop by design, and is it possible to change
this behavior?

Furthermore, do you know if there is a way to:

1. directly access asf files, keeping the player invisible?  I'm just trying
to play audio here.
2. control the player via javascript?
3. determine via some javascript test, whether the WMP is loaded on a user's
machine?

Thanks for your help!

Eric

2. Looking for Mozilla.dll

3. Problem With Windows Media Player For Mac OSX and Internet Explorer for Mac OSX

4. hp officejet 500 never mind, and thanks

5. Power icon not always visible in the system tray

6. why embedded WMP doesn't play WMA while WMP plays it via URL ?

7. Mystery Directories? and Tip

8. why embedded WMP not playing WMA while WMP plays it via URL?

9. Setup for Mac User to play EMBED .wma or .asf files

10. WMP for Mac OS X plays streaming audio but will not read .asf file

11. Server not found message in IE5 with Mac OSX

12. Lost IE5 in Mac OSX