Format SDK 8 codecs and RealPlayers

Post by Amil » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:52:04

What is the player backward compatibility with WM 8 codecs?  Specifically,
can the codecs from the WM Format 8 SDK be played in a WM Player v6?

Amail

Format SDK 8 codecs and RealPlayers

Post by Amil » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:38:25

Doesn't appear so..at least in player 6.4.

Amil

Quote:> What is the player backward compatibility with WM 8 codecs?  Specifically,
> can the codecs from the WM Format 8 SDK be played in a WM Player v6?

> Amail

Format SDK 8 codecs and RealPlayers

Post by Alessandro Angeli [MVP::DigitalMedia » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:29:58

WM8 codecs work in WMP6.4 but not v9, which require WMP7+.

> Doesn't appear so..at least in player 6.4.

> Amil

> > What is the player backward compatibility with WM 8

codecs?  Specifically,
Quote:> > can the codecs from the WM Format 8 SDK be played in a
WM Player v6?

> > Amail

1. WM9 Format SDK: Codec format enumeration

Hi,

A few minor issues that I think should be fixed/added
before the release of Windows Media Audio 9 concerning
the formats that are enumerated for the various codecs:

- The "Windows Media Audio 9" codec (RC) only returns VBR
Quality 98 & 90 for 48 kHz. It would be useful if it
would also enumerate qualities 75, 50, 25 and 10 like it
does for 44 kHz. I know that I can set whatever quality I
want myself, but it's so much easier to only only list
the predefined formats in a drop-down list (like
the 'profile generator' sample app does) and I think many
other developers will also implement thier apps in that
way. So enumerate more VBR quality settings for 48 kHz!
80, 70 and 60 might be good options too (for both 44 and
48).

- Similarly an 80 kbps selection for 2-pass VBR seems to
be lacking.

- For the "Windows Media Audio 9 Voice" codec, why not
enumerate both 'Voice' and 'Mixed Voice+Music' settings
(I assume that only the mixed settings are enuemrated as
is).

- For the "Windows Media Audio 9 Professional" codec,
please add some 6.1 selections. I've never ever seen 7.1
used (what are those two last channels supposed to be
anyway? side left + side right?) but 6.1 *is* used in
available systems (the 6th channel being back center) -
not only in THX EX and DTS 6.1 home cinemas, but also by
the new Creative Labs Audigy 2 sound cards...

These suggestions would IMO make the codec format
enumeration feature much more usefull and should be easy
to add!

Best regards,

/ Markus / http://www.fmjsoft.com/

2. The Opposite Problem: Making one Win98 machine use two TCP/IP connections

3. Codecs available for use with Format SDK

4. Variable versus Constant Bit Rate

5. Using Format SDK Codecs by myself

6. Change port?

7. interact format SDK with encoder SDK?

8. WPA - what's the point?

9. how to use format SDK with encoder SDK?

10. in Application with Direct Show SDK and WIndows Media Format SDK

11. Is Media Format 9 SDK needed in conjunction with Media Encoder SDK for live broadcast?

12. Can I used other formats with Format SDK?

13. MPLAYER, WMP, Realplayer, Properties, Codecs